Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways: they : GMAT Critical Reasoning (CR)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 11 Dec 2016, 06:07
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways: they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 409 [7] , given: 2

Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways: they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:25) correct 45% (01:34) wrong based on 895 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways: they can fail to detect an intruder when one is present, or they can falsely report the presence of an intruder. To detect the presence of an intruder most accurately, homeowners should purchase the system that is least likely to falsely report the presence of an intruder.

If true, which of the following would most strengthen the above recommendation?

A) The police respond to automatic alerts from burglar alarms more quickly than they do to telephone calls reporting the presence of an intruder.

B) The burglar alarm system that is least likely to sound its alarm when there is no intruder present is equal in price to all other major brands of alarm systems.

C) Local police forces vary in their response rates to burglar alarm systems.

D) All burglar alarm systems have the same rate of mistaking an animal for a burglar.

E) All burglar alarm systems have the same rate of failing to detect an intruder when one is present.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 25 Jul 2013, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
13 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [13] , given: 2

Re: CR: Alarm [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 22:13
This post received
KUDOS
A fantastic question. A real twister.
E it is.

[Alarm Defect Type 1] can fail to detect an intruder when one is present
[Alarm Defect Type 2] can falsely report the presence of an intruder

[Conclusion] homeowners should purchase the system that is least likely to falsely report the presence of an intruder. In other words , avoid [Alarm Defect Type 2].

But why [Alarm Defect Type 1] is not an consideration in the conclusion ?

E) All burglar alarm systems have the same rate of failing to detect an intruder when one is present.

In other words , [Alarm Defect Type 1] is same for all brands.

It completely makes sense just to look only avoid [Alarm Defect Type 2].

Voila !

Last edited by gmatavenue on 17 Feb 2009, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2009, 09:00
E

Conclusion depends only on the false positive. Hence the error must be same across all alarms if False positive is the determining factor.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 03:21
gmatavenue wrote:
A fantastic question. A real twister.
E it is.

[Alarm Defect Type 1] can fail to detect an intruder when one is present
[Alarm Defect Type 2] can falsely report the presence of an intruder

[Conclusion] homeowners should purchase the system that is least likely to falsely report the presence of an intruder. In other words , avoid [Alarm Defect Type 2].

But why [Alarm Defect Type 1] is not an consideration in the conclusion ?

In other words , [Alarm Defect Type 1] is same for all brands.

It completely makes sense just to look only avoid [Alarm Defect Type 2].

Voila !

Yes it's E and your method is faster than my method. Beautiful and simple.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways: they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2013, 01:30
This is the question where the assumption and the strengthen option, both are the same.

If the question would have been that what can be assumed for the argument to be true, then also the option E would have been the correct answer.

'The best way to thank or appreciate efforts on this forum is to give Kudos.'

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V25

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 52

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2013, 14:09
leemike114 wrote:
Hi, you shared nice piece of information and I also have some knowledge about the burglar alarms and security systems ,so I also want to share some tips for saving yourselves from burglars.
All doors that lead to the exterior of your abode should be running a heavy-duty deadbolt which has a minimum one-inch throw.Lock your windows and secure them in order that they can’t be raised ample for a person to have in from the outside.
so I would like to suggest to all my friends must install the security and burglar alarms.

brisbane alarm systems

WTF ? .................................

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2013, 23:15
reply2spg wrote:
Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways: they can fail to detect an intruder when one is present, or they can falsely report the presence of an intruder. To detect the presence of an intruder most accurately, homeowners should purchase the system that is least likely to falsely report the presence of an intruder.

A) The police respond to automatic alerts from burglar alarms more quickly than they do to telephone calls reporting the presence of an intruder.

B) The burglar alarm system that is least likely to sound its alarm when there is no intruder present is equal in price to all other major brands of alarm systems.

D) All burglar alarm systems have the same rate of mistaking an animal for a burglar.

A has a direct connect to the argument as it would result in a waste of resources
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 297

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2013, 09:32
This Portion is Premise for sure:
Premise: Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways: they can fail to detect an intruder when one is present, or they can falsely report the presence of an intruder.

This is argument or Premise-
To detect the presence of an intruder most accurately, homeowners should purchase the system that is least likely to falsely report the presence of an intruder.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 887

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 07:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 887

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2015, 12:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 11:31
reply2spg wrote:

The answer is obviously E. Here, what is the gap? The conclusion overlooks the first way, though he points out the two. Strengthening question needs to bring a new piece of evidence that can save the author from the logical gap. The option E rules out the first way stating that no benefit on streesing on the first way. Rather, do something with the second way.
Option A is after a intruder detected.so, Offtopic.
B is actually weakening the point, since if so, the recommendation is worthless to purchase special one.
C Offtopic.
D better than other wrong answers but still, not clearly ruling out the first way, wich option E does beautifully.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 12:51
So option A fixes the gap or introduces the necessary assumption to support the conclusion.
If option E is negated, then conclusion will fail.
VP
VP
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 538 [0], given: 71

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 04:30
Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways:

I. they can fail to detect an intruder when one is present,
or
II. they can falsely report the presence of an intruder.

To detect the presence of an intruder most accurately, homeowners should purchase the system that is least likely to falsely report the presence of an intruder.(ie., conclusion says that system which fails less in case II is preferred.)

A) The police respond to automatic alerts from burglar alarms more quickly than they do to telephone calls reporting the presence of an intruder.............we are bothered which alarm to select not whether alarm or phone call. OFS

B) The burglar alarm system that is least likely to sound its alarm when there is no intruder present is equal in price to all other major brands of alarm systems..........price is not of concern here. OFS

C) Local police forces vary in their response rates to burglar alarm systems..............how police systems work is not needed here. OFS

D) All burglar alarm systems have the same rate of mistaking an animal for a burglar..............animal plays the spoilsport here. OFS

E) All burglar alarm systems have the same rate of failing to detect an intruder when one is present...............this indicates that ou tof the two cases above case I need not considered since it is same for all systems. This strengthen the conclusion saying that remaining case II is important here.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 140

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways: they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 04:58
reply2spg wrote:

Quite an easy E for me :)

I treat it as an assumption question

Given:
Two reasons for inaccuracy in alarms-
1) fail to detect an intruder when one is present.
2) falsely report the presence of an intruder.

Conclusion:
To be more accurate- purchase the system that is least likely to falsely report the presence of an intruder.
i.e. the conclusion is based only on 'reason 2' above. It asks homeowners to minimize reason 2 and in-turn increase accuracy.

But what about reason 1?? If minimizing reason 2 alone increases the accuracy, the reason 1 should either be constant or be going down by itself among all available alarms out there(ignore the second part).

Option E says precisely this. :)

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Burglar alarm systems can be inaccurate in two ways: they   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2016, 04:58