Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Burned by GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Burned by GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 19:52
I took the GMAT today and scored a 660 42M 40V

Was extremely disappointed with the Math as I have never in any pratice test scored less than 45/46 and averaged 49+

My post serves two purposes.

1 I want people to learn from my experience.

Verbal has been an issue for me as I am not a native speaker but am an avid reader and practiced hard on the section. I got a 90 percentile and had I gotten my average math sccore I would have clocked 720+.

I made the cardinal mistake in Math. I got back to the test after the break a minute late and got off nervous. To top I never got the moemntum going. Around the 15th question I got stuck on a question which I thought was straightforward but could not solve it. I spent close to 4-5 minutes, which k!IIed my momentum further.

I was a little nervous going to the exam when it comes to the quant becasue lately I was struggling with the questions posted on the forum, so had a low confidence going in.

The lesson I guess is that it is not important that you get every question right, but time yourself and not change from the targets you set.

I will take the test again.

2 I want to get people's advise on what my strategy should be. I need to get 720+.

I do not have a particular weakness in any area but need to be solid on tough questions. I think for me it is a mind frame and I need to prepare hard again.

I am considering the following materials

GMATclub exams.
Manhattan GMAT exams
Can anyone recommend any more pratice for 750 level goal.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Burned by GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 20:17
I'm sorry to hear that. For people who constantly average high 700s in the practice test, it must be a disappointment to score significantly lower. I know that timing is one of THE most difficult problems in quant. The way I see it, there are two possible methods when encountering a difficult question:

1) spend 5-10 minutes on it and really try to get it, then try to catch up on the remaining portion of the exam
2) spend 3 minutes max and go forward (risking that your confidence is shaken from missing one)

I still haven't figured out which is the optimal strategy. The problem occurs that after you're hitting Q48+ on tests, you start to believe that you CAN solve ANY problem, when in fact you might not be able to. It's a stubborn approach but a reasonable one...

bb has posted some threads for getting 700+, and I definitely suggest doing ALL the gmatclub tests. that's what I'm doing right now- no pain no gain =/
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 476 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Burned by GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 20:19
sher676 wrote:

Was extremely disappointed with the Math as I have never in any pratice test scored less than 45/46 and averaged 49+

Verbal has been an issue for me as I am not a native speaker but am an avid reader and practiced hard on the section. I got a 90 percentile and had I gotten my average math sccore I would have clocked 720+.

I made the cardinal mistake in Math. I got back to the test after the break a minute late and got off nervous. To top I never got the moemntum going. Around the 15th question I got stuck on a question which I thought was straightforward but could not solve it. I spent close to 4-5 minutes, which k!IIed my momentum further.

I was a little nervous going to the exam when it comes to the quant becasue lately I was struggling with the questions posted on the forum, so had a low confidence going in.

The lesson I guess is that it is not important that you get every question right, but time yourself and not change from the targets you set.

2 I want to get people's advise on what my strategy should be. I need to get 720+.

I do not have a particular weakness in any area but need to be solid on tough questions. I think for me it is a mind frame and I need to prepare hard again.

GMATclub exams.
Manhattan GMAT exams

Well done dude!!! I used the word "well done" as you have done a good job on your first attempt. There are examples here where guys have done the 550 in first attempt and 730 in second one, so in first attempt you have done 660, you can do 750 in second one surely.

Have you gone through the 1,000 SC, CR and RC??? If not then go through these, if you have not all the MGMAT guides, take those to have the indetail review. Also try 800 Kaplan!!

For Qunat, I think gmatclub tests are the best source for preparation, these are 25 in total (I think).

bb, my hero, posted this thread for you specifically. Go through it and give your comments there
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

This site is a heaven for Gmatters if they search it around, so it your calll now.

Remember, this is not an end rather a new beginning!!!

Cheers :)

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Burned by GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 20:56
Hussain15 wrote:
sher676 wrote:

GMATclub exams.
Manhattan GMAT exams

Well done dude!!! I used the word "well done" as you have done a good job on your first attempt. There are examples here where guys have done the 550 in first attempt and 730 in second one, so in first attempt you have done 660, you can do 750 in second one surely.

Have you gone through the 1,000 SC, CR and RC??? If not then go through these, if you have not all the MGMAT guides, take those to have the indetail review. Also try 800 Kaplan!!

For Qunat, I think gmatclub tests are the best source for preparation, these are 25 in total (I think).

bb, my hero, posted this thread for you specifically. Go through it and give your comments there
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

This site is a heaven for Gmatters if they search it around, so it your calll now.

Remember, this is not an end rather a new beginning!!!

Cheers :)

Thanks a lot for the info. I skimmed through bb's post and seems very informative. Will refocus after a couple of days rest.

I will get Gmatclub exams. What is 1000 SC, CR? Have not heard of it before.

Any other source for 750+ score prep. I think my trouble areas are tough quant (number properties) and tough RC.
Retired Moderator

Re: Burned by GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 21:11
1,000 SC is a famous document which contains 1,000 questions on SC. though the originators of this document are banned by GMAC (I think) but this document can be find easily on web. Its a good source to practice a lot in SC area. Similar documents are also available for CR & RC.

If you make a habit to browse at least an hour daily on this site you will get a lot of benefits!!

[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Manager
Manager

Re: Burned by GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 21:21
So I can search and find them...how tough are they

Posted from my mobile device Image
Retired Moderator

Re: Burned by GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 21:34
sher676 wrote:
So I can search and find them...how tough are they

Posted from my mobile device Image

their importance is their quantity (1,000) not the toughness,, any how I dont know exactly!!!

I Can, I Will

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Burned by GMAT [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2009, 11:15
I completely feel your pain. I was hitting 47-49 in quant towards the end of my prep, but I had a meltdown on the real thing and ended up with 40, which was lower than all previous scores but the diagnostic. With a 42, I would also suggest you take a real good pass at questions in the 600-700 range, since it is quite possible you are missing some of those. That will drag your score down much more than missing 750+ questions.

I'm going to reboot my quant prep with the MGMT question banks, gmatclub tests, and questions from the forum. I will also work with the OG and an error log to really tighten up the lower brackets... really can't afford to miss those.

Best of luck!
Re: Burned by GMAT   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2009, 11:15