Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
x97agarwal wrote:
Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his objection to the claim that the city buses are dangerous. This is clearly untrue. None of the new buses in use has ever been crashed or even had a serious malfunction.
City councilman: The problem with the new buses is not that they malfunction, but that they are so flamboyantly painted that other drivers on the road are distracted and this may cause accidents.

The councilman responds to the bus company president by doing which of the following?

(A) Characterizing the bus company president’s assertion as stemming from subjective interest rather than from objective evaluation of the facts Seems tempting but there is nothing to prove subjective vs objective. Simply confusing
(B) Drawing attention to the fact that the bus company president’s interpretation of the word “dangerous” is too narrow This states that to the bus company president dangerous means .. malfunction or crash but to the mayor it means some thing more broad and beyond what the president states..
(C) Invoking evidence that the bus company president has explicitly dismissed as irrelevant the point at issue Irrelevant
(D) Citing statistical evidence that refutes the bus company president’s claim Irrelevant
(E) Casting doubt on the extent of the bus company president’s knowledge of the number of recent traffic accidentsIrrelevant

B it is
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 09:21
Question has to read:

Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his objection to the claim that the city buses are SAFE. This is clearly untrue.

If it says "dangerous" instead of safe, then as others have pointed out above, the statement would not make sense given the context of the exchange bw the Prez and the Councilman.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 09:30
I eliminated C, D and E. Between A and B , A says council member was characterising which is not true. So B

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 18:05
B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 07:49
Eliminated A, D and E. Between B and C, C has the word 'explicitly' which is not justified by the argument. Hence selected B.

Consider kudos for good explanations.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 15:34
gmat1011 wrote:
Question has to read:

Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his objection to the claim that the city buses are SAFE. This is clearly untrue.

If it says "dangerous" instead of safe, then as others have pointed out above, the statement would not make sense given the context of the exchange bw the Prez and the Councilman.

As gmat1011 and others have stated, the question is worded incorrectly. Based on the answer choices, I went ahead and corrected the stimulus in my head in order to select B as the correct answer.

The city council does not object to the statement that city buses are dangerous, he actually supports that statement!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 06:34
+ 1 B. isnt ideal, but is by far the only that fits
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 08:25
My take is B
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 282

Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 09:28
My take is B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 14:31
yes B it is
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: BUS ACCIDENTS [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 11:54
Yes, its B.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 21:04
B for me. Nice non-traditional CR question BTW.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 04:27
x97agarwal wrote:
Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his objection to the claim that the city buses are dangerous. This is clearly untrue. None of the new buses in use has ever been crashed or even had a serious malfunction.
City councilman: The problem with the new buses is not that they malfunction, but that they are so flamboyantly painted that other drivers on the road are distracted and this may cause accidents.

Faulty wording in the question. Based on what's underlined, the interpretation is that the city councilman thinks that the busy are dangerous.
Please reword appropriately. Thanks.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 545 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 04:48
Expert's post
Poor wording of the stimulus.
MODERATORS please rephrase the question. Such questions will only help in wasting one's time.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 05:09
OldFritz wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:

Faulty wording in the question. Based on what's underlined, the interpretation is that the city councilman thinks that the busy are dangerous.
Please reword appropriately. Thanks.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

I agree the stimulus I read meant to say
City Councilman : City Buses are not dangerous
Bus company president: This is untrue. City Buses are dangerous.
WTF?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 23:46

The councilman responds to the bus company president by doing which of the following? -> Paraphrase: what does the way City councilman counter the argument of bus company president.
I will look for the answer trying to state that the definition of dangerous in argument of Bus company president is narrower than that of councilman.

(A) Characterizing the bus company president’s assertion as stemming from subjective interest rather than from objective evaluation of the facts -> No subjective / objective evaluation in the premises. This answer is out of scope
(B) Drawing attention to the fact that the bus company president’s interpretation of the word “dangerous” is too narrow. -> Seem to fit what I am looking for. Tick this answer and go on the next answer
(C) Invoking evidence that the bus company president has explicitly dismissed as irrelevant the point at issue -> Seem to attractive if I read through quickly but when I re-read I figured out that the bus company president didn't dismiss any evidence -> Out of scope
(D) Citing statistical evidence that refutes the bus company president’s claim -> No statistical evidence cited so far -> Out of scope
(E) Casting doubt on the extent of the bus company president’s knowledge of the number of recent traffic accidents -> Premises by councilman didn't say anything about number of recent traffic accidents -> Out of scope

Therefore, the answer is B. It took 48s for all the process
Re: Bus company president: A city councilman has stated his   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2012, 23:46