Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business attire for women

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 07:06
I agree with runnergirl, and will also add that I'd guess 90% of the problem is fit, rather than just looking too young. Finding a good tailor who can alter a suit to fit your body will make a huge difference. Alterations are generally expensive, but if you get a good quality suit, it can last years. It's definitely worth it.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 10:47
Thanks girls. I'll be sure to give a second look to some of the stores listed on here.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 22:01
nice discussion...
I think pant and shirt is best for interviews....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 04:03
What are everyone's thoughts on a high neckline A line dress with a nice suit jacket over it for the b school interview?

I have a nice grey pin stripped suit that I plan to wear with a black button down tailored shirt. I wore this same outfit to my interviews with Citibank and Forbes magazine which worked out well.

My industry is focused on mobile technology and innovation though, which tends to be flooded with guys in t shirt and jeans.

~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 04:05
Oh by the way, I don't know if this has been discussed already, but for those who are in the US, Rue La La and Ideeli are daily flash sales sites that sometimes have great business suit sales for women. Some of the brands I remember seeing include Tahari, Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Ann Klein, etc.

I like Gilt and Hautelook too, but they don't seem to have as many suit sales.

~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 22:25
This thread is a great resource for women's business attire. I have a question regarding shoes. Is patent leather appropriate in a professional setting?

Give me kudos if you like my post!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Broad (S)
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 36

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 18:13
I am fortunate enough to live close enough to an outlet mall with a Kasper. Kasper is a store that sells only suits. You can find Kasper suits at Macy's too.

I bought a black pant suit and a grey one. I couldn't resist the grey one because it looks cute on. I spent $200 total. Not too bad. I'll probably wear black to any interviews.

Kelly

Give Me Kudos if you like my post!

Intern
Intern

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 01:53
What should you wear? Are panthose always necessary?

How much make up for the workplace?

bpwfoundation org
Intern
Intern

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 04:42
It just depends on what you like .Even you can go to tailor accordong to your requirement.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 05:18
bschool2014 wrote:
This thread is a great resource for women's business attire. I have a question regarding shoes. Is patent leather appropriate in a professional setting?
I think patent leather is fine as long as it's a dark colour and not THAT shiny, and obviously, polished.
Intern
Intern

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 02:59
The phrase “business casual” indicates different things to different organizations. In some organizations it may be satisfactory for females to use Capri jeans or long tops – but prevent these for enterprise purchases. You want to venture that you are a enterprise lady, and not look like a mom returning to a getting together with from your kid's perform time frame.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 17:56
Hi there - I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on whether wearing a nice elie tahari one-piece knee-length dress with a nice cardigan would work. not as formal as it would be with a blazer, but still a good quality outfit. Thoughts?

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 06:20
jerseygal wrote:
Hi there - I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on whether wearing a nice elie tahari one-piece knee-length dress with a nice cardigan would work. not as formal as it would be with a blazer, but still a good quality outfit. Thoughts?

Thanks

I would wear it with a blazer at least. In fact, I would probably recommend wearing a suit, especially if you're interviewing with a school like HBS. Considering that most of the men would be wearing suits, you don't want to come across as under-dressed or less than professional.

I used to think wearing a dress + blazer was professional enough, but a quick poll of the partners in my firm revealed that many of them consider that less professional / formal than a suit, and hence less appropriate for a formal business meeting. I think it's silly, but I rather err on the side of caution than worry that someone is judging me negatively because of what I'm wearing.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 07:12
ataraxia wrote:
jerseygal wrote:

Thanks

I would wear it with a blazer at least. In fact, I would probably recommend wearing a suit, especially if you're interviewing with a school like HBS. Considering that most of the men would be wearing suits, you don't want to come across as under-dressed or less than professional.

I used to think wearing a dress + blazer was professional enough, but a quick poll of the partners in my firm revealed that many of them consider that less professional / formal than a suit, and hence less appropriate for a formal business meeting. I think it's silly, but I rather err on the side of caution than worry that someone is judging me negatively because of what I'm wearing.

Thanks for your input :)

Blazer it is!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 17:09
jerseygal wrote:

Thanks

Not trying to beat a dead horse here... and I understand why this doesn't work for interviews and formal meetings. But is there anytime when a dress like this will be ok in business school? Or is it just too dressy for class but not formal enough for a networking event?

I already own several calvin klein dresses like this that I used to wear at work all the time, so it'd be nice to use them when I can. I don't mind standing out against the guys, but I don't want to look like someone's secretary.

FYI - also, I wouldn't often want to wear them with a cardigan/blazer only because I'll be in the sweltering south. So are bare arms an absolute no-no?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 20:50
histgirl wrote:
jerseygal wrote:

Thanks

Not trying to beat a dead horse here... and I understand why this doesn't work for interviews and formal meetings. But is there anytime when a dress like this will be ok in business school? Or is it just too dressy for class but not formal enough for a networking event?

I already own several calvin klein dresses like this that I used to wear at work all the time, so it'd be nice to use them when I can. I don't mind standing out against the guys, but I don't want to look like someone's secretary.

FYI - also, I wouldn't often want to wear them with a cardigan/blazer only because I'll be in the sweltering south. So are bare arms an absolute no-no?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about business school, but I wear stuff like that to work all the time, just not for super-formal business meetings. For casual client meetings, I typically wear a dress and a blazer.

The weather where I am is disgustingly hot too, but we always wear a blazer indoors.

Not sure if this is representative of b-sch norms, but that's my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 03:30
What is the best dress to be worn in a b school?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 13:26
MayaN wrote:
What is the best dress to be worn in a b school?

I'm not a woman, so sorry to be the "party crasher" here, but despite the "formal" dress you see in class, your dress is casual in class. Wear whatever you want that's comfortable. In an on campus interview, etc., wear business formal like a pant suit, etc.

The one piece of advice I'd give to women is please don't wear ridiculously high heel shoes above three inches. These shoes often have very crumpled toe boxes, and will cause blisters, which turn into hammertoes and bunions. One of my cousin's wives is a podiatrist and gave these facts. It scared the heck out of my sister wearing heels more than two inches and before she loved heels!
Intern
Intern

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 22:54
1. Aim for a traditional and moderate look when choosing your informal company use for the day. Choose outfits that's relaxed yet conveys an established mind-set. Simple, quality components (belts, jewellery and scarves)coordinated with an clothing can display that you pay interest to important information.
2. Incorporate some of your current company clothing collection with informal attire; for example, try dressed in a button-downshift with khakis and loafers. Ask yourself, "Am I efficiently comprising myself and employer?”
3. Clothing should be fresh, pushed or anti aging free, and without gaps or frazzled places. Tops need to be nestled in(certain females shirts are made to be used out, however, and this is permitted).
4. Body striking which can be seen by the consumer (with the exemption of earrings) is not allowed. Dialect rings should not be noticeable.
5. Hair style should venture an established appearance: fresh, nicely cut, and well-groomed.
6. Pay interest to the fit of your outfits. Pants should crack just above the shoes, flashlight sleeves should arrive at the base of your hand and just display a bit of the cuff if you are dressed in a coat, and clothing collars for dogs should option comfortably without grabbing or making breaks. Also, if you use a tie, its tip should arrive at below underneath of your belt-buckle.
8. Footwear issue. Footwear should be refined and set is usually recommended.
9. Take your daily routine into consideration when you are wearing. Do not create presumptions. Keep a extra coat,in the office for surprising events.
10. When in question, keep it out. Casual outfits should create you and everyone you work with more comfortable while, at the same time, predicting an established picture.

Best school in jaipur
Intern
Intern

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 09:49
Wow.. really, now I'm starting to wonder too. Good luck to u.

Money can't buy love, but it improves your bargaining position :))

Re: Business attire for women   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2012, 09:49