Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:55

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business attire for women

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 22:16
Working from home allows women to attend conference calls in sweats and send emails at 2 a.m. in pajamas. But at some point you will have meetings with clients, investors, donors, or other business professionals.

Competing in small business requires many skills, but knowing how to dress for a business situation can help you seal the deal in face-to-face meetings. In certain industries, how you dress is critical.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Posts: 38
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Consulting (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: Business attire for women - The Low Maintenance Approach [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 19:15
Every few years, when my wardrobe starts looking frayed or my shoes seem a little down-at-the-heels, I schedule a day to go shopping. I find a fit / size / style that is comfortable, and buy one in each color. I try to pick up between two and four pantsuits (usu. DKNY, although Banana Republic also has some nice stuff) and about ten shirts, usually Banana Republic. When I find a comfortable pair of shoes, I buy them out of black and brown in my size. When you've only got 6 - 8 hours at home each day before you have to suit up and ship out, it helps not to have to think in the morning.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 22:44
Thank you for the information
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 03:36
great!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 01:11
Not to be absurdly contrary, but in my experience (as a corporate attorney in NYC, primarily representing banks), it's perfectly fine and in fact 100% normal and expected for women to wear black suits (thought NOT MEN, ew!), heels over 3" (preferably of the red-soled variety, but whatevs), patent leather (in fact, my fave Cole Haan Nike Air pumps are black patent), and logo bags (the LV Neverfull, which I somewhat reluctantly admit to also owning, is a particular fave and, tbh, quite practical)...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 02:20
Business attire for women hasn't changed much as a formal shirt with trousers is the basic dress while additional things that may be seen in many companies is a tie or a blazer or even both making it perfectly professional.
_________________

Apply for MBA at University Of Tennessee

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2012
Posts: 187
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 13:49
It's interesting to read everyone's opinions and how strongly some people feel about them. I work in banking and have never seen a female wear a suit that wasn't black. Also, I wore patent leather FLATS to my interviews. Granted they were very nice, had some decoration, but I am super tall and have foot problems so had to go with them. Oh and my hair is below my shoulders and I wear it down to interviews, ha!

Anyways, would be curious about the following, especially if there are any current students who see this:

1) How many suits do you think is necessary for b school? I plan to recruit for brand management/marketing. What colors are recommended other than black? As mentioned, I haven't really seen women wear suits that aren't black so I'm curious what other popular colors are.

2) What is the attire for most company presentations? Is it suits, business casual? What do you usually wear to these functions?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Poor but happy
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 00:53
What are the absolute must haves before you move to start school in Chicago (or any other place with very cold winters?) I read somewhere in the thread about a dress coat. Any other suggestions? I'm moving from India so I'm really clueless :?
_________________

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 08:25
Prudence wrote:
What are the absolute must haves before you move to start school in Chicago (or any other place with very cold winters?) I read somewhere in the thread about a dress coat. Any other suggestions? I'm moving from India so I'm really clueless :?


Definitely a warm dress coat — especially one that can fit a suit jacket underneath, if necessary. Get one that is mostly (if not 100%) wool...it'll be your warmest option.

However, in my limited time spent in Chicago, it seems to be normal/accepted for business women—and all women—to wear a long puffer coat (like a North Face down jacket), even with business formal attire.

They're good about keeping the sidewalks free of snow in Chicago, but you still might want a good pair (or two) of boots.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Poor but happy
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 06:21
pancaketown wrote:
Prudence wrote:
What are the absolute must haves before you move to start school in Chicago (or any other place with very cold winters?) I read somewhere in the thread about a dress coat. Any other suggestions? I'm moving from India so I'm really clueless :?


Definitely a warm dress coat — especially one that can fit a suit jacket underneath, if necessary. Get one that is mostly (if not 100%) wool...it'll be your warmest option.

However, in my limited time spent in Chicago, it seems to be normal/accepted for business women—and all women—to wear a long puffer coat (like a North Face down jacket), even with business formal attire.

They're good about keeping the sidewalks free of snow in Chicago, but you still might want a good pair (or two) of boots.


Thanks pancaketown. I've got a rough idea of the other kinds of clothes needed for presentations and recruiting dinners. What I don't have down are the clothes for everyday class. I'm guessing casual, but many students seem to dress more conservatively or classy.
_________________

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 5

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 06:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
Prudence wrote:
pancaketown wrote:
Prudence wrote:
What are the absolute must haves before you move to start school in Chicago (or any other place with very cold winters?) I read somewhere in the thread about a dress coat. Any other suggestions? I'm moving from India so I'm really clueless :?


Definitely a warm dress coat — especially one that can fit a suit jacket underneath, if necessary. Get one that is mostly (if not 100%) wool...it'll be your warmest option.

However, in my limited time spent in Chicago, it seems to be normal/accepted for business women—and all women—to wear a long puffer coat (like a North Face down jacket), even with business formal attire.

They're good about keeping the sidewalks free of snow in Chicago, but you still might want a good pair (or two) of boots.


Thanks pancaketown. I've got a rough idea of the other kinds of clothes needed for presentations and recruiting dinners. What I don't have down are the clothes for everyday class. I'm guessing casual, but many students seem to dress more conservatively or classy.


It might depend on your school. For example, when I visited Tuck, people were more on the formal side of casual. At Darden, they were a bit more casual, but still pretty polished. At Kellogg, it was a mixed bag. Some people dressed up (no doubt for recruiters/company meetings), some were dressy casual, and some were wearing gym clothes.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 21:00
Dakells... just wanted to agree that I haven't seen a girl wearing NON-black in corporate-law-recruiting... I mean, that said, I think you could do dark gray and get away with it. I once had a Banana suit that was dark gray with pinstripes and I think it worked fine; but yes, most girls do black. To answer your question, you could do black in different "shapes" + dark gray +/- pinstripes +/- full/pencil skirt?

I have long hair and I used to put my hair up all the time for interviews, but now I've given up and wear it down -- even in, like, fabulous bouncy curly styles... Hah! I kinda thing it's fabulous and perfect.

For our recruiting cocktail receptions in law school, people typically did nice dresses -- but NOT suits. I intend to do that in b-school too. I mean, come ON, one can only own so many suits!

Finally, the WSJ recently had a featured article on how flats are the "new" "power" shoes. I'm totally down! I'm medium height (5'6"), but I love flats and have been increasingly comfy with wearing them in recent years... I now think they sorta sent a powerful, confident signal! (See the WSJ article, Carla Bruni's love of flats, etc.)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2012
Posts: 187
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 13:15
overdressed wrote:
Dakells... just wanted to agree that I haven't seen a girl wearing NON-black in corporate-law-recruiting... I mean, that said, I think you could do dark gray and get away with it. I once had a Banana suit that was dark gray with pinstripes and I think it worked fine; but yes, most girls do black. To answer your question, you could do black in different "shapes" + dark gray +/- pinstripes +/- full/pencil skirt?

I have long hair and I used to put my hair up all the time for interviews, but now I've given up and wear it down -- even in, like, fabulous bouncy curly styles... Hah! I kinda thing it's fabulous and perfect.

For our recruiting cocktail receptions in law school, people typically did nice dresses -- but NOT suits. I intend to do that in b-school too. I mean, come ON, one can only own so many suits!

Finally, the WSJ recently had a featured article on how flats are the "new" "power" shoes. I'm totally down! I'm medium height (5'6"), but I love flats and have been increasingly comfy with wearing them in recent years... I now think they sorta sent a powerful, confident signal! (See the WSJ article, Carla Bruni's love of flats, etc.)


Thanks overdressed! Glad to hear the bit about the flats! If you have fabulous hair, I say flaunt it, it might subconsciously help them remember you!

So for people reading in the future, I just bought a dark grey/charcoal suit and I think it looks awesome. I used to think pants were the way to go, but now I'm thinking the pencil skirt looks more polished. Though pants do negate the tights issue. I'll probably wear both. I was thinking the dress thing as well. I also bought this great blazer from Theory that doesn't have a collar or a button so it's sort of like an open blazer, think it will go great with a suitlike dress.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 20:37
I always wore dress and skirts in my interview. A simple one will do and wear color white or blue for top. It's good to look at.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2014
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 22:31
Nice post!
Re: Business attire for women   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2014, 22:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Cornell Johnson Women in Business gettinggoing 1 04 Oct 2011, 06:48
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Women in Business - Skirt suit or Pantsuit? hcb 35 27 May 2010, 09:38
17 Experts publish their posts in the topic business school attire... britguy 31 20 Jan 2010, 08:15
Interview attire. baer 10 15 Dec 2007, 16:52
1 Women Applying for Business School alienwannabe 21 14 Feb 2007, 10:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Business attire for women

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 155 posts ] 

Moderator: threestripes



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.