Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business attire for women

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 04:57
Early this year I discovered silicone hair guck. I put it in after I shower. I have big piles of really fine hair, and it tends to look pretty messy. But this stuff makes it look like i just combed it, and it's not smelly or anything like that. Highly recommended.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 17:31
Ladies, how about bags? Any pictures to share? What kinds of bags should we get for school?

http://missmba.blogspot.com/

SVP
SVP

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 18:02
bee186 wrote:
Ladies, how about bags? Any pictures to share? What kinds of bags should we get for school?

Around school itself, you see either backpacks or big rectangular bags (messenger or shoulder style) that you can fit your laptop, binders, etc in. Some people have fancy leather; others have free canvas ones from a company presentation.

As for events, I was surprised that no one carries bags. Obviously you wouldn't something big to lug around - it makes it hard to mingle and doesn't look very professional. But I did think that people would carry attaches or something. But instead, everyone walks around with padfolios - those leather notebook things. Women will sometimes also carry a small purse for the wallet, keys, etc.
SVP
SVP

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 18:04
Ladies, when you get to school, I HIGHLY recommend getting your women's association to sponsor shopping events. We had one at Ann Taylor tonight, and I got 3 dresses, two camis, two blouses and a pair of slacks for $350. Normally priced, it all would have been about $650. They had tailors on hand, plus extra staff to be sure we were well taken care of. I am much closer to being set for the summer. Woohoo!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 18:42
wow that's an awesome deal!

Also for the bags: http://www.ebags.com.
Great website with some really good deals and cheap shipping!
cheers,
AC.
SVP
SVP

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 19:12
I'm thinking about getting some pearls for work wear. any thoughts? tips?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2008, 05:54
You know, I've never owned a pair of actual (i.e. not fake) pearls so would be interested to hear what others say as well.

I have though, bought many a faux-pearl at Macy's, etc in their jewelry section. I tend to go with more studs for the earrings and medium length strand for the necklace. Based on the seasonal trend, you can get pearls of varying size - I've usually gone for medium sized ones. I know that the large ones can go out of style pretty fast so don't want to have to keep buying more....For the necklace, I tend to aim for a length that hits right below the collarbone.

hope this helps!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2008, 14:46
ac8706 wrote:
wow that's an awesome deal!

Also for the bags: http://www.ebags.com.
Great website with some really good deals and cheap shipping!
cheers,
AC.

Thanks ac - I am guilty of carrying around the ugly black laptop bags that guys carry and have been looking for something - so this is pretty useful.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2008, 15:07
Darden 2010 was asking about the boot/skirt combo to an interview... I'm guessing if the place is fashion-forward/urban or in an industry where attire can be interpreted a little more freely (advertising, fashion) I'd think that if the weather is cold, it's better to just wear a pant suit rather than wear the boot & skirt -- maybe I'm a tad old fashioned though. And the hose factor is no fun. I always carry extra hose when I'm wearing a skirt since I will get a run in it.

Didn't see it mentioned here but I think Benetton is good for petite women. \
I think BCBG is good after you've gotten the job (got quirky/fun details).
SVP
SVP

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2008, 15:45
Here are two of the dresses I bought last night. The solid one looks really different on me - I'm sorta shaped like an anti-model.
Attachments

218811_6600.jpg
218811_6600.jpg [ 5.03 KiB | Viewed 6394 times ]

218330_6600.jpg
218330_6600.jpg [ 3.81 KiB | Viewed 6390 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 05:47
what is the standard on heel height? I've read 2" maximum but I've seen girls in 3-4" heels at Stern.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 14:19
Tote style: Large enough to carry multiple things, but for people who prefer a more traditional business look. Though you should make sure it's sturdy enough to hold a laptop, if that's your plan.

Messenger style: Obviously less formal, but probably more practical for running around campus.

Images for display purposes only. I don't actually advocate spending several hundreds of dollars on a bag. There are many brandless bags out there in similar styles that can be found in mall shops.
Current Student

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 14:35
Aaudetat - I'm impressed by your second dress choice! It's vaguely... nun-ish!
Good call on the shopping event sponsors; I'm definitely suggesting this when I get to campus.
SVP
SVP

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 05:36
FairPlay wrote:
Aaudetat - I'm impressed by your second dress choice! It's vaguely... nun-ish!
Good call on the shopping event sponsors; I'm definitely suggesting this when I get to campus.

Hahhaha!

That dress on me actually is more 70s go-go girl. I think it might actually be too cute for work, but we'll see. When I saw the picture online, I wasn't convinced that it was the same one at first.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 06:14
navy01 wrote:
what is the standard on heel height? I've read 2" maximum but I've seen girls in 3-4" heels at Stern.

I think it depends on height and what you're comfortable with - I'll wear 3-4 inch heels because I'm used to them and I'm really short, but a friend who is nearly 6' tall wears similar styled loafers bec she towers over people as it is. Overall, I think its the look of the shoe more than anything else - slim heel , rounded or pointed toe, neutral color, not a ton of embellishment etc. etc.

As for bags, TUMI actually has cute laptop bags from time to time. And I'd recommend everyone get a longchamp, herve, etc. or two - they last FOREVER, carry a ton, and are a bit more professional than a messenger bag for classes. but thats just my 2c
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 09:20
aaudetat wrote:

Don't waste your money buying the real McCoy. Lord and Taylor has an awesome costume jewelry section and great sales - check it out, you might find a deal. Unless you are afraid that your interviewer is going to pick up your pearls in his/her hand and scrape them across his/her teeth to see if they are genuine - otherwise, you really can't tell the difference...

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

SVP
SVP

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 18:03
uphillclimb wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

Don't waste your money buying the real McCoy. Lord and Taylor has an awesome costume jewelry section and great sales - check it out, you might find a deal. Unless you are afraid that your interviewer is going to pick up your pearls in his/her hand and scrape them across his/her teeth to see if they are genuine - otherwise, you really can't tell the difference...

wow, talk about awkward interview situations. that's what i am hearing - fake are easier and a good fake set looks better than cheap real ones.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 18:44
Or if you're going to China anytime soon you can get some nice one's pretty cheap there. That's where mine are from.
Current Student

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 17:56
The pearls remind me of another great wardrobe piece, since I wear mine a lot with turtlenecks.

The Black/Grey Turtleneck Dress
While it looks great when worn plain, it is quite possibly the most versatile (or forgiving?) item of clothing when it comes to accessories. It's practically impossible to look bad regardless of how over-the-top your necklace, scarf, belt, shoes, etc are. I daresay you could wear hooker boots or gold chains a la Mr. T and still look halfway chic.

Things to consider if you're tired of wearing dress shirts every day!
Attachments

turtleneck.jpg
turtleneck.jpg [ 28.75 KiB | Viewed 6388 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Business attire for women [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 06:14
Hi All,

I am preparing my wardrode for Bschool and looking for some inputs regarding must haves.. for recruiting events, socializing and otherwise too.

Also, am planning to attend UMich, so inputs for cold weather clothing would also help.

Cheers,
Re: Business attire for women   [#permalink] 14 May 2008, 06:14