Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 20

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 23:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

29% (02:26) correct 71% (01:41) wrong based on 187 sessions
Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. The obvious compromise is for these executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first presents an obstacle to achieving a certain goal; the second presents a reason for considering that goal to be undesirable.
B) The first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy; the second presents a reason against adopting that strategy.
C) The first describes a concern that the consultant dismisses as insignificant; the second is a consideration that serves as the basis for that dismissal.
D) The first is a belief for which the consultant offers support; the second is part of that support.
E) The first is a belief against which evidence is offered; the second is part of the evidence offered against that belief.

Last edited by rohitgoel15 on 01 Feb 2012, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hi

I think you missed highlighting the BOLD Face Portions in your post

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 10

Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 20:42
This is from GMAT paper tests and the wrong portions are highlighted. Can you cite the source of the question?

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 113

Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 17:15
I think the OA should have been B here
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 10:13
^ Yup B makes sense. And i don't think A would make sense even if some other portion of the passage was the bold part referred to in the question..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 03:19
Yes i agree with B over A here.
How can the first bold faced be an obstacle? It's just a piece of evidence for one view point. A is definitely wrong.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 18:08
The first and foremost thing that you have to possess if you want to be a Business Management Consultants is the ability to solve complex problems that arises in the company.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 00:21
I think B is the correct one

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 05:38
+1 B

A cannot be the OA. The second bold statement is not against the goal of communication.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 16:00
seems like you have highlighted incorrect portions:

this is how it is highlighted in the link you have provided

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Clearly, corporations should adopt the compromise of encouraging their executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 02:32
B should be the right answer.

A can't be right because it says two bold faces have are working for two different goals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 11:54
+1 for B.. OA seems wrong here :shock:

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 01:38
i too chose B, hope its right.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 02:20
Conclusion:
Using titles outside the organization for any external dealing and not using titles inside the organization will not hinder the free flow of communication between the executives and employees.

First Bold Face statement presents the information that using titles inhibits the communication among employees and higher management. - Against the conclusion
Second bold face statement states that titles are important while dealing with external businesses. - In favor of the conclusion

B depicts that. Please correct if I am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 03:55
IMO A,

B states " first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy" but no strategy was adopted due to first bold face. Argument mention 1st bold face to show that a strategy is detrimental
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 599 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Business Consultant [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 00:06
Expert's post
vikram4689 wrote:
IMO A,

B states " first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy" but no strategy was adopted due to first bold face. Argument mention 1st bold face to show that a strategy is detrimental

The strategy is "shunning of executive titles".
OA must be B.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 06:07
A) The first presents an obstacle to achieving a certain goal; the second presents a reason for considering that goal to be undesirable.
The author acknowledged the obstacle but never thought of the goal as undesirable

B) The first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy; the second presents a reason against adopting that strategy.

C) The first describes a concern that the consultant dismisses as insignificant; the second is a consideration that serves as the basis for that dismissal. The first is accepted by the author to be a valid consideration...

D) The first is a belief for which the consultant offers support; the second is part of that support. The two bolded are inherently opposite points but yielded a strategy with compromise... The second is not part of the first...

E) The first is a belief against which evidence is offered; the second is part of the evidence offered against that belief. The first is accepted by the author to be a valid consideration...

Answer: B

The first is a consideration that led to comapnies not using titles BUT the second is a valid point that made the "non-usage of titles" less desirable over "using titles"..

Impossible is nothing to God.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 55

Re: Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 09:56
Apparently GMAC changed the answer choices in this problem; compare them with business-consultant-some-corporations-shun-the-use-of-75866.html
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1189 [1] , given: 119

Premium Member
Re: Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 14:53
This post received
KUDOS
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. The obvious compromise is for these executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

C) The first describes a concern that the consultant dismisses as insignificant; the second is a consideration that serves as the basis for that dismissal.
D) The first is a belief for which the consultant offers support; the second is part of that support.
E) The first is a belief against which evidence is offered; the second is part of the evidence offered against that belief.

Really difficult one. But I think OA is A. Here's my explanation.

Business consultant wants to recommend: The use of executive title should be used externally, not internally.
But please re-read the last part of the third sentence:
since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation

What does it mean?

Ok, I will paraphrase the sentence:
IF executives know the use of executive title should be used only externally, they will NOT use their title internally and have a better communication with employees.
It's clearly a hypothesis. It means corporations are still using executive title internally. Because if corporations do NOT use of executive title internally, why we need consultant's recommendations!

Apply to show A is correct:
The first part: corporations try to shun the use of executive title internally, but it's really difficult. So they are still NOT successfully in achieving their goal. That's why the first part shows the obstacle to adopt the strategy recommended by the consultant.
The second part: use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses - this is the reason why the use executive title external does help.
Hence, A is right.

Why B is wrong:
B: The first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy; the second presents a reason against adopting that strategy.
The word "against" says the second part is the reason why corporation shouldn't adopt the strategy that consultant recommended. It's totally wrong!

I hope it's clear now.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 08:11
Hi EGMAT,

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they
fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit
communication up and down the corporate hierarchy
. Since an executive who uses a
title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an
executive’s dealings with external businesses.
The obvious compromise is for these
executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely
known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this
knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. In the
consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?
A. The first presents an obstacle to achieving a certain goal; the second presents a reason for
considering that goal to be undesirable.
B. The first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy; the second
presents a reason against adopting that strategy.
C. The first describes a concern that the consultant dismisses as insignificant; the second is a
consideration that serves as the basis for that dismissal.
D. The first is a belief for which the consultant offers support; the second is part of that support.
E. The first is a belief against which evidence is offered; the second is part of the evidence
offered against that belief.

Lets Spilt the argument

Some corporations shun the use of executive titles.. ...Consultant opinion..statement1

because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit
communication up and down the corporate hierarchy
. Reason for above statement.1

Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, Reason for below statement2

however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Consultant opinion... MAIN CONCLUSION

The obvious compromise is for these executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, Consultant opinion.. statement 3

since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this
knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. Reasons for above statement3.

As per the above understanding.

First bold face is could be explanation or a consideration for the first statement that is the statergy as mentioned in the answer choices.

Second bold face seems like a Consultant opinion not a reasoning its a opinion . or the main conclusion. reasoning is statement before the argument.

Please correct me,where I'm getting wrong.

Thanks

Nitin Singh
Re: Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2014, 08:11