Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [3] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:18) correct 57% (01:29) wrong based on 540 sessions
Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Clearly, corporations should adopt the compromise of encouraging their executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation.

In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second presents a drawback to that strategy.
(B) The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration raised to call into question the effectiveness of that strategy as a means of achieving that goal.
(C) The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration the consultant raises in questioning the significance of that problem.
(D) The first is part of an explanation that the consultant offers for a certain phenomenon; the second is that phenomenon.
(E) The first describes a policy for which the consultant seeks to provide a justification; the second is a consideration the consultant raises as part of that.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

Sorry for the confusion caused. I forgot to do that again. 2nd time now. :(
justification.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 20:17
Can you pls highlight the two boldfaces?
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 141 [4] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
1st boldface: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles

2nd boldface: use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses

Explanation:
--------------------
A.) The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second presents a drawback to that strategy. ---> Correct. We'll see later why it should be correct.

B.) The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration raised to call into question the effectiveness of that strategy as a means of achieving that goal. ---> First part of this statement sounds right; the second part is not correct because it ONLY highlights the importance of using titles externally. The consultant is not doubtful about achieving the goal by shunning the use of titles internally. This is evident from the last part i.e., ...this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication...

He only says that the strategy can be disadvantageous w.r.t. external businesses' dealing.

C.) The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration the consultant raises in questioning the significance of that problem. ---> Explanation for the first part is OK. In the second part, the consultant is nowhere questioning the 'significance' of that problem; he's only trying to bring to light an area (external businesses' dealing), which might get affected by adopting this strategy.

He is not totally against shunning the use of title. Had that been the case, he wouldn't have mentioned '...corporations should adopt the compromise of...'. Since he mentions compromise, he is, to some extent, in favor of the first one too.

D.) The first is part of an explanation that the consultant offers for a certain phenomenon; the second is that phenomenon. ---> Rubbish; the second part is NO phenomena , and the first is, in no way, a part of an explanation of that phenomena.

E.) The first describes a policy for which the consultant seeks to provide a justification; the second is a consideration the consultant raises as part of that ---> IMO, the consultant doesn't seek to provide a justification; he simply puts down what corporations believe.

Moreover, we can also consider how policy is different from strategy.

A policy is a set of guidelines to the members of the organisation. Policy provides and explains what a member should do rather than what he is doing. Policies' enforcement permits prediction of roles with certainty. A policy is what is, or what is not done - it thus implies a rule or some kind of a guide whereas a strategy is the methodology used to accomplish a target as prescribed by a policy!

Corporations make policies for the betterment of organizations and for its employees. Here we can assume that it had some policy to reduce communication gap. But what if something that's stated isn't achieved? There comes 'strategy' to accomplish the given target.
--------------------

That's why I think it should be A and not option E.

Hope that helps.

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Last edited by Technext on 21 Feb 2009, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 10:13
I chose E.

How do you explain the word drawback in the option A?

The Stem does not say usage of titles will help. Does not say that because they are not using titles they are losing this. It is
** possible** but not given there.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 11:30
icandy wrote:
I chose E.

The Stem does not say usage of titles will help. Does not say that because they are not using titles they are losing this. It is ** possible** but not given there.

Hi icandy,

Option A states the following:
The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second presents a drawback to that strategy.

IMO, the second part of option A doesn't even say that if corporations stop the practice of shunning titles, the communication gap will decrease. He, in fact, agrees to some extent that the shunning of titles might help in reducing internal communication barriers. The word drawback points to some OTHER part that will get affected. That part which will have a negative impact with the adoption of this strategy is external businesses' dealing. This negative impact is what the word drawback refers to. This is what I draw from the sentence.

To be doubly sure, if you go through the last line of the excerpt (also mentioned in my explanation for option C), you will notice that he's not against the corporations' views. It's just that he's trying to get their (corporations') attention to external businesses' dealing, which will have a negative impact because of the implementation of this strategy.

Does it make some sense now?

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 14:12
Technext wrote:
icandy wrote:
I chose E.

The Stem does not say usage of titles will help. Does not say that because they are not using titles they are losing this. It is ** possible** but not given there.

Hi icandy,

The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second presents a drawback to that strategy.

IMO, the second part of option A doesn't even say that if corporations stop the practice of shunning titles, the communication gap will decrease. He, in fact, agrees to some extent that the shunning of titles might help in reducing internal communication barriers. The word drawback points to some OTHER part that will get affected. That part which will have a negative impact with the adoption of this strategy is external businesses' dealing. This negative impact is what the word drawback refers to. This is what I draw from the sentence.

To be doubly sure, if you go through the last line of the excerpt (also mentioned in my explanation for option C), you will notice that he's not against the corporations' views. It's just that he's trying to get their (corporations') attention to external businesses' dealing, which will have a negative impact because of the implementation of this strategy.

Regards,
Technext

No it does not as I am going word to word.

The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem;

I guess both of us agree that the strategy that is being referred to here is the practice of Some corporations shun the use of executive titles. A draw back to the strategy would be lack of titles hinder business development with external resources or some thing on similar lines. I can't exactly say that use of titles will help facilitate business developments with external resources is a drawback. My point is the the strategy is fixed in the first part of A and it is the same strategy referred in second part of A
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 01:49
icandy wrote:
Technext wrote:
icandy wrote:
I chose E.

Hi icandy,

Regards,
Technext

No it does not as I am going word to word.

The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem;

I guess both of us agree that the strategy that is being referred to here is the practice of Some corporations shun the use of executive titles. A draw back to the strategy would be lack of titles hinder business development with external resources or some thing on similar lines. I can't exactly say that use of titles will help facilitate business developments with external resources is a drawback. My point is the the strategy is fixed in the first part of A and it is the same strategy referred in second part of A

------------------

2nd boldface: use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses

------------------

Hi icandy,

Yes, we both agree as to what the strategy is.

What I can infer from your comments (“A draw back to the strategy would be lack of titles hinder business development with external resources or some thing on similar lines”) is that when you're reading the 2nd boldface statement, it mentions a +ve statement about the 'use of titles' w.r.t. external dealings, and this +ve remark is causing problem for you. You're thinking that the statement is mentioning something +ve, then how come it's a drawback? Isn't it? Anyone will think the same.

But it seems you’re ONLY & ONLY reading the two boldface statements. Had I read it in the same way, even I would have raised my concern as you did. As far as I know, when we consider two boldface statements, we don’t just have to focus on them; we also have to look what’s before and what’s after them. We also have to look for reasons because of which the author mentioned those two boldface statements. This will help us in finding out the roles that these boldfaces play.

If you disagree with me on this stand, then tell me why the need for all other sentences, or for that matter, why the need for those two sentences (which boldface fragments are part of) when only the two boldface fragments could have sufficed?

In that case, we could have simply framed the question like this:
======================================================

What roles do the two boldfaces play?
Option 1) ...
Option 2) ...
Option 3) ...
Option 4) ...

Let me know your thoughts on this?

Regards,
Technext

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 07:31
Technext wrote:

What I can infer from your comments (“A draw back to the strategy would be lack of titles hinder business development with external resources or some thing on similar lines”) is that when you're reading the 2nd boldface statement, it mentions a +ve statement about the 'use of titles' w.r.t. external dealings, and this +ve remark is causing problem for you. You're thinking that the statement is mentioning something +ve, then how come it's a drawback? Isn't it? Anyone will think the same.

But it seems you’re ONLY & ONLY reading the two boldface statements. Had I read it in the same way, even I would have raised my concern as you did. As far as I know, when we consider two boldface statements, we don’t just have to focus on them; we also have to look what’s before and what’s after them. We also have to look for reasons because of which the author mentioned those two boldface statements. This will help us in finding out the roles that these boldfaces play.

If you disagree with me on this stand, then tell me why the need for all other sentences, or for that matter, why the need for those two sentences (which boldface fragments are part of) when only the two boldface fragments could have sufficed?

In that case, we could have simply framed the question like this:

What roles do the two boldfaces play?
Option 1) ...
Option 2) ...
Option 3) ...
Option 4) ...

Let me know your thoughts on this?

Regards,
Technext

I have been using the exact wording of the two bold face statements. When I first started out, I looked for the whole meaning. How ever, it just does not make sense to answer the role of the bold faces in the context when the Q it self does not point it out that way. You might say it is implied. If what you are saying is correct, I dont know what to say. Oh well! Good old GMAC! Rules to their whims and fancies.

In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

There have been numerous, seriously numerous instances where the Q eliminates other answers strictly based on the words used to refer to the role of bold face. I just dont understand how to make up a strategy for questions on a slippery slope. I as down to A & E and felt that the word drawback makes it more evil compared with the verbiage in E. You feel the contrary that justification is evil compared with drawback.

Edit: It seems the words consultant's reasoning refers to the argument as a whole.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 09:25
icandy wrote:

There have been numerous, seriously numerous instances where the Q eliminates other answers strictly based on the words used to refer to the role of bold face. I just dont understand how to make up a strategy for questions on a slippery slope. I as down to A & E and felt that the word drawback makes it more evil compared with the verbiage in E. You feel the contrary that justification is evil compared with drawback.

Edit: It seems the words consultant's reasoning refers to the argument as a whole.

Rule/Methodology to approach a given type of problem will never change from one question to another; it will always remain the same. I'm very sure that you'll agree with this point.

We'll just have to investigate it a little further to get a clear picture. Whenever I'll come across any similar type (obviously with the one that outlines a proper approach to such questions :) ) problem, I'll post it.

Anyways, what's the answer?

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 09:59
needless to say, the answer is A
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 69 [2] , given: 0

Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 16:10
This post received
KUDOS
Technext is correct. When the question asks "the two portions in boldface play WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ROLES", it is not asking what the portions in boldface mean IN ISOLATION. It is asking how each one is used in the overall argument, i.e., what logical function each one serves IN CONTEXT.

So although the second boldface section is a positive statement, it is a positive statement that results from doing what the strategy AVOIDS doing. Therefore, it identifies a drawback of the strategy.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 17:21
Thanks grumpy
Current Student
Schools: Haas School of Business

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 17:21
A seems to be the right answer.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 02:36
My ans is A.
Technext has already explained very well
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 06:01
This post received
KUDOS
grumpyoldman wrote:
Technext is correct. When the question asks "the two portions in boldface play WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ROLES", it is not asking what the portions in boldface mean IN ISOLATION. It is asking how each one is used in the overall argument, i.e., what logical function each one serves IN CONTEXT.

So although the second boldface section is a positive statement, it is a positive statement that results from doing what the strategy AVOIDS doing. Therefore, it identifies a drawback of the strategy.

Thanks a lot for clarifying our doubts sir! It was very much needed.

Now we’ll be able to attack these questions with more confidence.

Regards,
Technext

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 13:53
I would also go with option A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 16:15
I'll go with E. What's the OA?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 3

Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 17:07
This post received
KUDOS
icandy wrote:
Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they
fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Clearly, corporations should adopt the compromise of encouraging their executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication
within the corporation.
In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?

A. The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second presents a drawback to that strategy.
B. The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration raised to call into question the effectiveness of that strategy as a means of achieving that goal.
C. The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration the consultant raises in questioning the significance of that problem.
D. The first is part of an explanation that the consultant offers for a certain phenomenon; the second is that phenomenon.
E. The first describes a policy for which the consultant seeks to provide a justification; the second is a consideration the consultant raises as part of that justification.

I would guess (A), because that's the best description matching both boldface portions.

B - 1st part is right, 2nd part is not about achieving the goal of streamlining communications; the 2nd part discusses a different goal that could be inhibited.
C - 1st part is right, but again, the 2nd part discusses a DIFFERENT problem, not the same problem or its significance.
D - Way off
E - The second boldface part does not justify the first part, in fact, it describes a drawback of that policy.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LSB, NSU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 00:04
I had A ...but was not able to justify it properly ...
Thanks for explaining it so well !!

WOnder !!!!!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 697 [1] , given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Boldface Businness titles [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 01:17
This post received
KUDOS
Icandy,
Good question!!!

Initially I marked E but later I found A is correct OA (after checking my reasoning with Technext :wink:).

For the 2nd BF, the key is -
however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Clearly, corporations should adopt the compromise of encouraging their executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, ...

I think we need to zero-in on why the examiner provided this part (adopt the compromise) of argument. This is the drawback, which Choice A says for not adopting the titles for external businesses.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Re: CR Boldface Businness titles   [#permalink] 19 May 2010, 01:17