Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business Development or Consulting-After Software Testing ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Tepper '16, ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Business Development or Consulting-After Software Testing ? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 21:44
Hi,
I have 2 years of experience as a Software Tester as of now. The role is very technical and I want to get an MBA to move into the business side. I am interested in strategy consulting , however I don't have any experience in business or client facing engagements . Some people advised me that I should look into business development and further product management as career options . Which of these two options would be best both from a career point of view as well as the B school admission process? Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. Thanks :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [1] , given: 29

Re: Business Development or Consulting-After Software Testing ? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 23:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Either could be good.

The three most important considerations should be: 1. How much leadership opportunities you will have in the job. 2. Which is the better firm. 3. What your salary would be.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Tepper '16, ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Business Development or Consulting-After Software Testing ? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 01:22
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Either could be good.

The three most important considerations should be: 1. How much leadership opportunities you will have in the job. 2. Which is the better firm. 3. What your salary would be.

Thanks Jon :) From a bschool admissions point , which would be a more convincing story since I have a very technical background.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 122 [1] , given: 1

Re: Business Development or Consulting-After Software Testing ? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey there,

The story for either can be made compelling. However, business development provides an opportunity to diversify experiences and, in doing so, speak to varied key themes.

In other words, if you continue along product management, you can speak to expanded responsibilities while business development may allow you to speak to skills and experiences you are lacking at the moment.

Of course, this should be weighted with what Jon pointed out - leadership and pedigree are important. Don't choose an entry level business development role above a lead product manager role. But, if all else is equal, then I would say go for diversity.

Cheers,

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Business Development or Consulting-After Software Testing ? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 06:47
Hi karyoghul

I agree with Bhavik: either path is great for diversifying your leadership and business experience.

At the same time, if strategy consulting is your long-term career goal, participating in volunteer community experiences that challenge your leadership skill-set can elevate your profile. How about joining a nonprofit Board of Directors or consulting a struggling small business with its financial, operations, and marketing challenges?

Consider partnering with a volunteer organization such as SCORE, Net Impact, USALC, or Taproot. These orgs provide strategy consulting assistance to emerging organizations in need.

Thank you & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
www usaLeadershipCorps org
Re: Business Development or Consulting-After Software Testing ?   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2013, 06:47