Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business School help-Gmat-resume-any advice welcome

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard Business School, Wharton, Brown, Columbia, Stanford
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Business School help-Gmat-resume-any advice welcome [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 08:06
I am finishing undergraduate in three years and I would like to go straight to a top ten business school. I know this is very ambitious but i am sure it has been done and I am willing to work very hard.

A little about me:
3.73 gpa at University of Miami, Fl and now transferring to Ohio State.
I need 120 semester credits to graduate and I have about 45. So technically I am in the middle of my sophomore year, but i don't like to use the terms freshman and sophomore, etc., because I am graduating in three years.

So mainly I am looking for advice on GMAT prep, on business school prep, on maybe getting experience for grad school.

I have an internship right now over the summer, two days a week where I work at no cost for a non-profit called BetterInvesting that has about 100,000 members in it. It is a branch under NAIC (National Association of Investor's Corp) Their website is betterinvesting dot org if you want to learn more (I'd post it but it wouldn't let me because I am a new member) I am working a their world headquarters in Madison Heights Michigan after only my first year in college under the accounting department and possibly marketing department later this year.

Under them, I will also have the opporunity to be a college campus representative and trying to start my own investment club.

Besides this I am wondering what else I can start to do to get extensive experience and build my resume. Clubs, fraternities, interests, etc.

GMAT-I am looking to take the GMAT soon because I want to devote the last part of my three years in trying to get experiences, internships, etc and i thought this summer might be a good start. Any recommendations? Good idea? Bad idea? I have had one accounting class and I am pretty good at taking tests, I got an 800 on the math section of the SAT.

Please let me know if you have any advice for me, thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business School help-Gmat-resume-any advice welcome [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 12:29
My advice is work before going to T10 MBA program.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Business School help-Gmat-resume-any advice welcome [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 12:52
I think you're off to a great start tarzanman but here are two points:
1) Brown doesnt have a business school
2) I'd agree with method, you should definitely work full time for atleast 3 years. I'd personally recommend 4 years. Let me explain why this is important (I think I've said this elsewhere as well but nevertheless)
a) You need time to understand who are you, your likes/dislikes and interests. Plus, entering the job market and working full time develops you as an individual in a way that university simple cant. Thus, when you go to b-school, you'll end up bringing something tangible to the table in terms of your experience.
b) Post-MBA, when you're applying for jobs, prospective employers will ask you what you've done so far and if your answer is "sorry, I havent worked anywhere yet but here... I've joined many clubs and done a lot of stuff". It has a much lesser impact and could go badly for you. Instead if you can say something tangible like "I worked for XYZ firm, got promoted every year and in my fourth year even managed to lead a team of 5 ppl" then that tells them that you've got some great real world experience and that you could handle a working career.
c) You can save up some money!! Living costs during the MBA program are going to be quite high so use that time to build your coffers.

I hope this makes sense.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Business School help-Gmat-resume-any advice welcome   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2011, 12:52