Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business schools with a focus in data analysis + my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Business schools with a focus in data analysis + my chances? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 13:10
Hi Gmatclub community,

So, I'm interested in attending a business school that will allow me to gain a hard skillset in data analysis and statistics. In short, I believe I will get much more out of my education if I develop a hard skillset, one that is transferable as the MBA degree. I have a background and interest in statistics and data and I think a focus in these areas will help drive my career interests.

The schools that I have found that have a data analysis path or statistics major embedded in the MBA are:
1) Wharton
2) MIT (they have a personalized curriculum)
3) Kellogg (decision sciences major)
4) NYU (they have a major in business analysis)

What are some other schools? Also, should I just get a Masters in data analysis?

Also, what are my chances at attending a top business school? I'm applying to several schools in the 1-15 range and I'd like to get a better idea of how I stand?

1) 690 GMAT (46Q, 38V)
2) 3.45 GPA from top liberal arts college (Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore)
3) 4 years as a equities trader and derivatives market-maker. Ran a successful book and small team in my equities trading firm.
4) 3 years as a professional poker player early in my career. One of the more successful players online. Part of a successful team of 4 players.
5) Captain of my college's tennis team. Junior national tennis player. Also a part-time coach post-graduation.
6) 1 year of volunteer non-profit work in Asian-American advocacy group. Served as co-chair of the fundraising arm.
7) part-time work sourcing fin-tech companies in VC firm.
8) Asian-American male, 27 years old.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Business schools with a focus in data analysis + my chances? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 13:44
Expert's post
If data analytics is your main goal, I think a master in data analytic would better suit your needs. There are some decision science courses that provide you with basic tools like Monte Carlo, sensitivity analysis, etc. However, the bulk of the business education is on business fundamentals (marketing, finance, account, operations, strategy, etc.) through Socratic teaching methods.

Diversity

Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 6

Re: Business schools with a focus in data analysis + my chances? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 14:46
If you are looking for an analytic focus, Tepper (Carnegie-Mellon) is another great choice. The entire program has an analytics edge, but they also offer a specific track in analytics. One of the main reasons I am choosing to matriculate there. Not a top 10 name like the ones you listed, but #11 on BW rankings. I would contend is more known for analytics than most of the schools you listed if that is truly your goal.

http://tepper.cmu.edu/mba/mba-curriculu ... index.aspx
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 58

Re: Business schools with a focus in data analysis + my chances? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 14:16
Booth has a reputation as being one of the "quantiest" schools around, and they have a statistics and econometrics concentration.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 40

Re: Business schools with a focus in data analysis + my chances? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 10:15
It sounds like you want a masters of financial engineering, but what was your math section of the gnat? You need close to perfect on the GRE math to get in to Columbia or Berkeley's program.
Re: Business schools with a focus in data analysis + my chances?   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2014, 10:15