Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 12:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:32) correct 54% (01:37) wrong based on 596 sessions
Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money available for development loans. To help businesses, the
government plans to modify the income-tax structure in order to induce individual taxpayers to put a larger
portion of their incomes into retirement savings accounts, because as more money is deposited in such
accounts, more money becomes available to borrowers.
Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt regarding the effectiveness of the government's
plan to increase the amount of money available for development loans for businesses?
(A) When levels of personal retirement savings increase, consumer borrowing always increases
correspondingly.
(8) The increased tax revenue the government would receive as a result of business expansion would not
offset the loss in revenue from personal income taxes during the first year of the plan.
(e) Even with tax incentives, some people will choose not to increase their levels of retirement savings.
(D) Bankers generally will not continue to lend money to businesses whose prospective earnings are
insufficient to meet their loan repayment schedules.
(E) The modified tax structure would give all taxpayers, regardless of their incomes, the same tax savings for
a given increase in their retirement savings.

Please some one explain this...as i am not convinced with the explanation from OG
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 1

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 12:06
is it C
Manager
Manager

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 12:35
Still waiting for some more replies before posting OA
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 100 [4] , given: 3

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
Fact1: Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money available for development loans.
Fact 2: To help businesses, the government plans to modify the income-tax structure in order to induce individual taxpayers to put a larger portion of their incomes into retirement savings accounts
Conclusion: Because as more money is deposited in such accounts, more money becomes available to borrowers.
Weakness: Do the people actually put money in their retirement accounts? This is not the right weakness as it's mentioned in the fact section and not the conclusion section.(hence C is incorrect).

Right Weakness: Money deposited into retirements accounts might not result is more money available to borrowers (Mentioned in the conclusion).
Scan through the choices which states this -
A looks like the closest match.

Rock On

Manager
Manager

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 14:06
Yes A it is...
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 40

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 03:47
Even I marked C but I doubt the OA in OG. The last line of argument says that -

because as more money is deposited in such accounts, more money becomes available to borrowers.

While A says that -
(A) When levels of personal retirement savings increase, consumer borrowing always increases correspondingly.

This is ambiguous. I think to make this a correct argument, the last line of the passage should have been -
because as more money is deposited in such accounts, more money becomes available to bankers/lenders.

Experts, please comment.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 40

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 03:48
Also, A is just the prephased of last sentence of the argument.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 214 [2] , given: 6

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
I picked the wrong OA too.....but after reading thru the explanation I understand that I was wrong.

The premise mean to say that as more money is deposited in such
accounts, more money becomes available to borrowers ( business borrowers).

Now A says that as personal retirement savings increase, consumer borrowing always increases correspondingly.....the important point here is that consumer borrowing is different from business borrowing

The government is intending to increase retirement savings so that businesses can borrow but what if because of increase in retirement savings end consumers borrowing also increases correspondingly....this will defeat the purpose of the plan.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 00:36
agreed with seekmba
if people would put more money in retirement saving plan they eventualy end up very less personal saving hence they could become borrowers themselves, and this could frustrate govt's plan, hence the nas must be A
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 18:57
I don't see why C doesn't weaken the conclusion.

The OG concludes that effectiveness of the plan would be determined not by what "some" people do but by what "most" people do. I would argue that by logic, some means at least one i.e. It can be 1, most or all!

We have to take the choices as true since it is a weaken question i.e. for C, if the people decide not to put money into retirement savings account, then the conclusion is weakened in that the plan to provide more money to borrowers via the retirement savings account will not work.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 19:43
Plan of government is to increase the money so that it can meet the loan amount required. Therefore, govt thinking to modify the tax structure to get the more money collected .
But, if due to this plan, if money demanded by the business/consumer also increases, then this plan will not work

Hence A

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 01:11
sagarsabnis wrote:
Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money available for development loans. To help businesses, the
government plans to modify the income-tax structure in order to induce individual taxpayers to put a larger
portion of their incomes into retirement savings accounts, because as more money is deposited in such
Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt regarding the effectiveness of the government's
plan to increase the amount of money available for development loans for businesses?
(A) When levels of personal retirement savings increase, consumer borrowing always increases
correspondingly.
(8) The increased tax revenue the government would receive as a result of business expansion would not
offset the loss in revenue from personal income taxes during the first year of the plan.
(e) Even with tax incentives, some people will choose not to increase their levels of retirement savings.
(D) Bankers generally will not continue to lend money to businesses whose prospective earnings are
(E) The modified tax structure would give all taxpayers, regardless of their incomes, the same tax savings for

Please some one explain this...as i am not convinced with the explanation from OG

What abt E ?
If the taxes that people save after increasing their retirement savings does not differ from what it would have been had they not increased their retirement saving, then people would not have incentive to save.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 01:12
mundasingh123 wrote:
sagarsabnis wrote:
correspondingly.

What abt E ?
If the taxes that people save after increasing their retirement savings does not differ from what it would have been had they not increased their retirement saving, then people would not have incentive to save.

I think i misread the option .

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 07:56
I would go with A

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 13:02
saurabhgoel wrote:
Plan of government is to increase the money so that it can meet the loan amount required. Therefore, govt thinking to modify the tax structure to get the more money collected .
But, if due to this plan, if money demanded by the business/consumer also increases, then this plan will not work

Hence A

I'm not saying that A is wrong. But the explanation still doesn't rule C out.

As per my response above, The plan would fail because people won't put more money than is currently in a retirement savings account in spite of changes to the tax structure.

I think the reason that OG quotes is not good enough to rule out option C.
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [4] , given: 51

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
C states 'Even with tax incentives, some people will choose not to increase their levels of retirement savings.'

but that also means some people will choose to increase their levels of retirement savings, hence funds available for borrowing will still increase. and that increase amount will be available for businesses to borrow.

so C doesn't weaken the conclusion .

A states that number of borrowers will increase , this may result in even lesser funds for businesses to borrow than were previously available.

hence A seriously weakens the conclusion

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 36

Re: Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 19:03
Expert...

Please help with this OA.

I still don't understand why OA is A.

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 21

Re: Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 22:12
Hi

I shortlisted my choices between A and E,

A-Consumer borrowing is different than business borrowing, So Govt will not have funds to provide loan to business- Govt. Plan failed
E-The modified tax structure would give all taxpayers, regardless of their incomes, the same tax savings for
a given increase in their retirement savings- Means it is helpful as retirement saving will have flat saving for all income level people
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 17

Re: Businesses are suffering because [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 06:50
salil wrote:

I'm not saying that A is wrong. But the explanation still doesn't rule C out.

As per my response above, The plan would fail because people won't put more money than is currently in a retirement savings account in spite of changes to the tax structure.

I think the reason that OG quotes is not good enough to rule out option C.

As my undertanding. "Some" is pretty close to the "few", perhaps 30%. Clearly, "some" doesn't represnting "most". Furthermore, (C) gives us some weaken but not strong enough compare with (A). Remeber, we have to determine which one is "most weaken" the argument. In other words, partially weaken is not a correct answer(same to the strengthen question). Thus, C out and A is the best!

I got better explaination from another site, but not sure if I can post link here.
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 09:53
so the author says that the money in form of taxes shall be used for the business

but as the money collected as taxes will again reach the people
as their demand for the loans will increase proportionately with the increased taxex the money available for business shall not increase and hence
the govt fails

just one more month for exam...

Re: Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2012, 09:53