Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 06 Jul 2015, 12:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BW 2008 Rankings

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:26
Rumor has it these are the top 10 for BW this year. The official rankings will be released on Thursday, November 6th.

1. stanford
2. michigan
3. chicago
4. tuck
5. columbia
6. wharton
7. harvard
8. ucla
9. georgetown
10. kellogg

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:30
terp06 wrote:
Rumor has it these are the top 10 for BW this year. The official rankings will be released on Thursday, November 6th.

1. stanford
2. michigan
3. chicago
4. tuck
5. columbia
6. wharton
7. harvard
8. ucla
9. georgetown
10. kellogg

Woah Ross is at 2!!! Sweet!!!!
But isn BW supposed to be a bit skewed????

what's georgetown doing at 9? :O
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:30
where did u hear this rumor?

Traffic never sleeps...

SVP
SVP

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:31
There's a thread on the BW forums. These could be total garbage. We'll find out on Thursday.

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 20

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:35
terp06 wrote:

1. stanford
2. michigan
3. chicago
4. tuck
5. columbia
6. wharton
7. harvard
8. ucla
9. georgetown
10. kellogg

I saw that. I was signing on to Gmatclub to see what everyone thought about it. I actually don't see the reasoning behind it AT ALL. I can somewhat see Stanford and Columbia moving up. But Michigan #2? Georgetown above kellogg? Michigan above Harvard/Wharton?

I think this is one of those times when magazines create change just to sell issues. Kellogg below Michigan/UCLA/Georgetown, I don't think so! MIT not even on the list. The only thing that I can think michigan is (argueably) stronger than harvard/wharton is operational management, but MIT has to be better than Michigan at that.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:40
I am sure that HBS will love to be #7 and after Ross. LOL Strange ranking, let's see what the official version looks like.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 12

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:40
Thing is, how do you guys judge what school is better than another? Probably from past rankings, such as US News.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 1

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:41
IF this is true, then I see why BW rankings play second fiddle to US News rankings year after year. How does Kellogg go from top 3 to 10? How does Wharton drop from #2 that quickly?
SVP
SVP

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:42
I consider UCLA to be a far stronger school overall than Haas, and I am surprised that it has not passed Haas in the rankings over the last several years.

VP
VP

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:43
sonibubu wrote:
IF this is true, then I see why BW rankings play second fiddle to US News rankings year after year. How does Kellogg go from top 3 to 10? How does Wharton drop from #2 that quickly?

Well BW is every 2 years. It will be interesting to see their methodology.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 165 [1] , given: 20

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
terp26 wrote:
sonibubu wrote:

BusinessWeek Ranking

What sources of data does BusinessWeek use to rank MBA programs?
There are three main sources of data: a student survey, a survey of corporate recruiters, and an intellectual capital rating.

How is the student survey conducted?
The student survey is conducted online. Using e-mail addresses supplied by the programs, BusinessWeek (with the help of Cambria Consulting) contacts students and directs them to a survey site where they can complete the survey. BusinessWeek will send out several reminders to ensure an adequate response rate.

In 2006, we surveyed 16,595 students and received 9,290 responses, for a 56% response rate. The survey consists of about 45 questions that ask students to rate their programs on teaching quality, career services, alumni network, and recruiting efforts, among other things. Using the average answer for each of the questions and each question's standard deviation, we calculate a student survey score for each school.

How is the intellectual capital score determined?

BusinessWeek scours 20 top academic journals for articles published by each school's faculty, reviewing all editions published in the previous five years. The journals are The Harvard Business Review, Journal of Marketing, Operations Research, Information Systems Research, Journal of Finance, American Economic Review, California Management Review, Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Financial Economics, Management Science, Academy of Management Review, Sloan Management Journal, Journal of Marketing Research, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Business Logistics, Accounting Review, Academy of Management Journal, Personal Psychology, Production & Operations Management, and Journal of Business Ethics. Extended articles receive three points; short articles receive one point.

We also check The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and BusinessWeek for reviews of books written by school's professors, awarding 5 points for each one. The two tallies are combined and then adjusted for faculty size by dividing the total of points by the number of fulltime faculty at the school. The list of journals is reviewed each year and suggestions for additions are considered.

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 0.htm#MBA1

VP
VP

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:53
GoBruins wrote:
terp26 wrote:
sonibubu wrote:

BusinessWeek Ranking

What sources of data does BusinessWeek use to rank MBA programs?
There are three main sources of data: a student survey, a survey of corporate recruiters, and an intellectual capital rating.

How is the student survey conducted?
The student survey is conducted online. Using e-mail addresses supplied by the programs, BusinessWeek (with the help of Cambria Consulting) contacts students and directs them to a survey site where they can complete the survey. BusinessWeek will send out several reminders to ensure an adequate response rate.

In 2006, we surveyed 16,595 students and received 9,290 responses, for a 56% response rate. The survey consists of about 45 questions that ask students to rate their programs on teaching quality, career services, alumni network, and recruiting efforts, among other things. Using the average answer for each of the questions and each question's standard deviation, we calculate a student survey score for each school.

How is the intellectual capital score determined?

BusinessWeek scours 20 top academic journals for articles published by each school's faculty, reviewing all editions published in the previous five years. The journals are The Harvard Business Review, Journal of Marketing, Operations Research, Information Systems Research, Journal of Finance, American Economic Review, California Management Review, Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Financial Economics, Management Science, Academy of Management Review, Sloan Management Journal, Journal of Marketing Research, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Business Logistics, Accounting Review, Academy of Management Journal, Personal Psychology, Production & Operations Management, and Journal of Business Ethics. Extended articles receive three points; short articles receive one point.

We also check The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and BusinessWeek for reviews of books written by school's professors, awarding 5 points for each one. The two tallies are combined and then adjusted for faculty size by dividing the total of points by the number of fulltime faculty at the school. The list of journals is reviewed each year and suggestions for additions are considered.

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 0.htm#MBA1

thanks bruins ! +1

Well I can see why Ross is up there. Their students bleed maize and blue. They must have ranked Michigan high. Also by Ross having strengths across disciplines, I can see how they produce a lot of intellectual capital.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 11:35
When your formula spits out Ross at #2 and HBS at #7, you need to re-formulate.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 11:57
Tarmac wrote:
When your formula spits out Ross at #2 and HBS at #7, you need to re-formulate.

I could not agree more! It is just so hard to evaluate the quality of a B-school program because as opposed to graduate school it is not all about academia. One could argue that academia is a small component.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 0

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 12:18
I actually wouldn't be shocked if BW placed Michigan at #2 in their rankings, not because I agree with the assessment but rather because BW had Michigan at #2 very recently (just one cycle prior I believe). The positions for Harvard, Georgetown (huh?!?!) and Kellogg in particular make it hard to give any credence to these rankings. Doesn't pass the smell test.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 12:22
OMG!!! Georgetown BEATS Kellogg... :? ... And it does read like HBS, UCLA, Georgetown!!!! I thought I'd never see the day!!! :shock:

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 12:25
devansh_god wrote:
OMG!!! Georgetown BEATS Kellogg... :? ... And it does read like HBS, UCLA, Georgetown!!!! I thought I'd never see the day!!! :shock:

Either this ranking methodologgy sucks big time OR they are heavily biased against Kellogg due to the "Puke Incident"..... OR BOTH....... :P
P.S.: Not applying to Kellogg Nor plan to..... But still is a gr8 school... BW can rot in hell for putting HBS @ #7 :twisted:

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown '11

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 12:41
I wonder when they did their surveys. My cousin just graduated from georgetown and he says they made significant improvements over the time he was there. It wouldn't surprise me at all if student opinion was effected by the new building they just finished, new companies recruiting there, etc and that drove them way up in the polls. The problem with student surveys is that your experience is always going to be tainted by your expectations. Many students probably thought going in that georgetown wasn't going to be as good as it ended up being.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS
I think the rankings are always skewed because they weigh so heavily the opinion of corporate recruiters. I think a student from Ross might be a lot more polite to a recruiter than one from HBS...not saying anything about the individual pools of students but the job perspectives are just quite different for the two schools and it must reflect on the treatment of recruiters/their success in getting students from the respective schools.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 6

Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 13:32
Meowzilla wrote:
I think the rankings are always skewed because they weigh so heavily the opinion of corporate recruiters. I think a student from Ross might be a lot more polite to a recruiter than one from HBS...not saying anything about the individual pools of students but the job perspectives are just quite different for the two schools and it must reflect on the treatment of recruiters/their success in getting students from the respective schools.

Very good point! I've heard that a few recruiters refuse to go back to Harvard because they feel they get slighted.

RF

Re: BW 2008 Rankings   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2008, 13:32

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 35 posts ]