Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
Veritas Prep, a leading GMAT prep and MBA admissions consulting firm, released the results of proprietary research designed to identify current and anticipated trends in MBA admissions and mine the perceptions of admissions officers.

The survey, conducted in October and November by an independent firm on behalf of Veritas Prep, yielded responses from admissions officers from more than half of the top 30 business schools nationwide, according to bi-annual rankings compiled by "BusinessWeek," including full-time MBA, part-time MBA and executive MBA programs.

Here are some key facts:

1) Among desired changes that admissions officers would like to see in their applicant pool, diversity ranks first (87%), while 57 percent of respondents would like to see a larger applicant pool at their institutions.
Question: When attending info sessions or MBA fairs, each school rep encourages each candidate to apply in very supportive and courteous manner. (sometimes way to supportive as if average profiled applicant has a chance at a top 10 program...) Any chance they do this just to increase the application volume to their program each year?

2) The number of international applicants to leading U.S. business schools has increased over the past five years. Ninety-four percent of responding admissions officers report a moderate to significant increase in international applicants during the last five admissions cycles. Currently, the average ratio of American student applicants to international student applicants is 59:41, with the two countries (outside of North America) sending the most students to respondents' schools being India and China.
Question: 59:41 ratio of domestic vs international applicants is eye-popping. However, does this ratio actually translate into actual representation of student body in Top US MBA programs? If true, is it possible that adcoms exercise affirmative-action-like approach when reviewing international applicants vs domestic candidate with better profile?

3) The number of admits straight out of undergraduate studies is on the rise. Despite the fact that 63 percent of respondents say professional experience is the most important factor in student selection, almost half (47%) report that the number of admits straight out of college has significantly or moderately increased compared to five years ago.
Question: Why would Top programs admit more undergraduate students straight out of college? What benefits can this bring to the program?

4) Careless errors ranked as the top faux pas committed by students during the application process. Inconsistency between institutional choice and students' educational objectives and ambitions ranked second, and the inclusion of unrequested items and inappropriate interview conduct tie for the third most commonly witnessed application blunder.

5) Admissions officers view students that enlist the assistance of admissions consultants neutrally. While seven percent of respondents said that they view applicants who use admissions consultants positively, 80 percent view such students neutrally. In general, most admissions officers feel that admissions consultants help students identify the programs with which they fit best and clarify their career goals.

6) Admissions officers anticipate changes in the student application process in coming years. Most respondents believe the student application process will include more face-to-face or telephone interviews in the next five years (60%). While over half of admissions officers foresee the application process becoming less complex (53%), another forty percent predict the application process will become increasingly intricate in the coming years.

Any thoughts?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Re: BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 07:18
i wonder what constitutes "inappropriate interview conduct". maybe i shouldn't have french-kissed Mary after the interview was over...
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 07:33
young_gun wrote:
i wonder what constitutes "inappropriate interview conduct". maybe i shouldn't have french-kissed Mary after the interview was over...

EDIT - same avatar confusion!
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 07:36
Kellogg was Maverick. Young Gun and Maverick just both have the same avatar........

sam77sam7 wrote:
young_gun wrote:

If it was your Kellogg interview - sounds like it worked!

"George is getting upset!"

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 07:42
Raabend wrote:
Kellogg was Maverick. Young Gun and Maverick just both have the same avatar........

LOL, good catch! That is almost worse than when there were two 'terps'!
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 08:13
ninkorn wrote:
3) The number of admits straight out of undergraduate studies is on the rise. Despite the fact that 63 percent of respondents say professional experience is the most important factor in student selection, almost half (47%) report that the number of admits straight out of college has significantly or moderately increased compared to five years ago.
Question: Why would Top programs admit more undergraduate students straight out of college? What benefits can this bring to the program?

I'm surprised by this. It doesn't really look like the avg. age or WE of admitted students has dropped all that much over the past few years. Although if you go from 10 admits right out of undergrad to 20, it's a significant increase (100%), even though it's still a small portion of the overall class. Wonder if this falls under the category of lies, damn lies and statistics.

ninkorn wrote:
5) Admissions officers view students that enlist the assistance of admissions consultants neutrally. While seven percent of respondents said that they view applicants who use admissions consultants positively, 80 percent view such students neutrally. In general, most admissions officers feel that admissions consultants help students identify the programs with which they fit best and clarify their career goals.

How do they know who uses consultants and who doesnt? Without knowing who's used one, it's difficult to view the candidates either more or less favorably than those who haven't.

Current Student
Schools: Michigan
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 09:52
ninkorn wrote:

I feel Veritas has some self-conflict here with this statement. They offer admission consulting, so they want the perception that consulting is viewed as neutral...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 18:23
ninkorn wrote:
1) Among desired changes that admissions officers would like to see in their applicant pool, diversity ranks first (87%), while 57 percent of respondents would like to see a larger applicant pool at their institutions.
Question: When attending info sessions or MBA fairs, each school rep encourages each candidate to apply in very supportive and courteous manner. (sometimes way to supportive as if average profiled applicant has a chance at a top 10 program...) Any chance they do this just to increase the application volume to their program each year?

I personally think so, but I think it's because the larger pool that the adcom has to pick and form a class with, the easier it is to get the people they want and shape the culture they want at their school. While it's a lot more work to read and weed through some people who should not have applied in the first place, I think the adcoms would rather weed through dozens of those if they don't miss that one gem who wouldn't have applied if they set a minimum GMAT/GPA or other criteria.
Quote:
2) The number of international applicants to leading U.S. business schools has increased over the past five years. Ninety-four percent of responding admissions officers report a moderate to significant increase in international applicants during the last five admissions cycles. Currently, the average ratio of American student applicants to international student applicants is 59:41, with the two countries (outside of North America) sending the most students to respondents' schools being India and China.
Question: 59:41 ratio of domestic vs international applicants is eye-popping. However, does this ratio actually translate into actual representation of student body in Top US MBA programs? If true, is it possible that adcoms exercise affirmative-action-like approach when reviewing international applicants vs domestic candidate with better profile?

I believe most top MBA programs have at least 30-35% international students. Berkeley Haas this year has 40% internationals and it's been an amazing experience meeting and learning for people all over the world. I wouldn't change it for anything (if not even up the numbers a little more).

Quote:

Personally, I can't see any big benefits for students to have their schools admit people straight out of college. I'm a firm believer in people learning a LOT more about business while working than in undergrad. Maybe a couple college students who started 3 companies while they were doing their UG are exceptions, but I don't believe schools should increase the admits straight out of UG. My personal guess at why top schools are doing this is because of 1) loyalty (the earlier you get them, the bigger donors they are later on), 2) Get the best and brightest before anyone else can (HBS 2+2 program gets the high potential UG graduates before any other school courts them).

Otherwise, having too many people straight out of UG diminishes the peer learning experience in class, IMHO.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 20:36
kryzak wrote:

Personally, I can't see any big benefits for students to have their schools admit people straight out of college. I'm a firm believer in people learning a LOT more about business while working than in undergrad. Maybe a couple college students who started 3 companies while they were doing their UG are exceptions, but I don't believe schools should increase the admits straight out of UG. My personal guess at why top schools are doing this is because of 1) loyalty (the earlier you get them, the bigger donors they are later on), 2) Get the best and brightest before anyone else can (HBS 2+2 program gets the high potential UG graduates before any other school courts them).

Otherwise, having too many people straight out of UG diminishes the peer learning experience in class, IMHO.

Personally, I really wanted to do my MBA straight out of college, thinking I can handle the course load. However, (with few yrs of experience under my belt) I now realize the value of having years of experience before entering a MBA program.

1) My first 2 years out of college, I learned to apply knowledge from my undergraduate education into my professional work. It was an eye-opening experience. It just made sense as everything fell into place! Concepts and ideas that I couldn't quite digest suddenly all made sense once I knew how they applied in the real world.
2) I think (even with undergrad business degree) a chance to re-enter a business program after few years of professional work is a chance for one to re-invent him/herself. As an undergrad, I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. Some of us followed where the jobs/money was in order to choose a major, while others chose their passion and entered less lucrative fields. Now with a chance to enter a MBA program, I can finally re-educate myself in areas that I think I need to bolster. (i.e. - liberal art major now might have a better idea of what they want in life - and choose a business concentration through MBA) I have better sense of what I want to do with my life at this point. Therefore, I am totally against allowing more undergrads to enter MBA programs straight out of college.

However, previous generations (even in early 1980's) entered MBA programs right out of college the way students enter law schools nowadays. If that model worked back then, why do you think it might not work now? Why do you think the adcoms changed the policy some time in the 80's regarding the experience factor?

Re: BW Top 30 MBA Adcom Survey Results from Veritas Prep   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2008, 20:36