Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Re: BWeek Article on GMAT vs GRE [#permalink]
I did take GRE back then when I was applying for my Mastes in Cmputer Science and I seriously feel GMAT is easier

1) MAths is somewhat same
2) Verbal - RC is same, SC is bit different and the worst part of GRE is their Synonyms,antonyms and analogies. Every book has some 3500 words to be remembered and one must know the roots and origins (like in spelling bee) ... I hated GRE compared to GMAT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
As for which exam is easier, I think it really depend on different person.
For me, GRE is way easier than GMAT.
I have a really good memory and I love to study vocabulary. In GRE, for the vocab part is like either you know it or not. The strategies don't really help. I made it to 90 percentile in verbal. I got a perfect score on GRE math. GRE math is way easier compare to GMAT math.

Although I also made perfect score on GMAT math, but GMAT verbal is a totally different story for me. I am not a logical kind of person. Even though, GMAT verbal part does not have much vocab, but I just don't get that. The highest verbal score I got from varies attempt is 28 on the real test, which is about 40 some percentile only.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
NYU Stern has started to accept GRE scores now. This has started to worry me, how is this going to play. I mean people who write GRE are much higher and also it is way to easier to score higher marks in GRE than GMAT. So how are these business schools going to compare a GMAT score with a GRE score. This has really started to worry me, I am planning to apply next year and there would be another 10-20 top schools joining GRE group.

What do you guys think ?
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Since there is not yet a track record of schools accepting applicants who have taken the GRE, I would advise against it.

For people who are contemplating dropping the GMAT for the GRE, please contact the Adcom for your targeted schools to inquire about this. There's no sense in taking and killing the GRE, and then finding out the school has no clear benchmark on accepting GRE scores (i.e. a bottom avg GMAT score might trump a top GRE score just because the adcom doesn't know how to compare that factor between the applicants (yet)).
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
I think the schools use a comparison tool (ex: https://www.ets.org/Media/Campaign/9934/) to translate a GRE score into an "equivalent" GMAT score. The tool states that "the predicted GMAT Total scores were calculated using statistical analyses of the actual test scores of 525 persons who took both the GRE General Test and the GMAT exam in actual operational, high-stakes conditions, between January 2006 and July 2008."

I say "equivalent" because obviously the tests are different, regardless of how similar they may be. Others have said that the verbal sections are quite different in focus, so one test vs the other may play to your particular skill set. Still, I would think the only reason to take the GRE instead of the GMAT would be if you are pursuing dual-degrees (where the non-business program requires the GRE) and your target business schools all accepted the GRE. If you are not in that situation, just take the GMAT and quit worrying - it still is the exam of choice across the board for MBA programs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I am going to start GREclub.......... :-D
GMAT Club Bot