Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618760 [46]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [8]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [2]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Re: By 1914, ten of the western states had granted women the right to vote [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
By 1914, ten of the western states had granted women the right to vote, but only one in the East.

(A) only one in the East
(B) only one eastern state
(C) in the East there was only one state
(D) in the East only one state did
(E) only one in the East had

I got this wrong and selected D over E. Could someone explain why my reasoning is incorrect.

I believe the use of HAD is incorrect in E because HAD does not function as a pronoun. We would need to say "only one in the East had granted women".

In D, however, did can act as a pronoun for verbs hence "in the East only one state did [had granted women the right to vote]". Why is this wrong and E correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: By 1914, ten of the western states had granted women the right to vote [#permalink]
Kudos
When we look out for the parallel structure that is required here we can easily arrive at the right answer. The structure needed here is X had granted … but only one in Y had.

This sentence uses the concept of ellipsis. By not repeating the words granted women the right to vote at the end of the sentence, the sentence elides this using the parallel structure.

This is how we can eliminate Options A, B, C, and D in one go.
Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
E is clearly correct due to parallelism and meaning context. A, B, C can be eliminated for either wrong meaning or clunkier construction
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
ERROR ANALYSIS -

1) Case of parallelism around 'but' - only one in the east did/had (Note that tenses don't matter in parallelism)

ANSWER CHOICE ANALYSIS -

A) should end with did/had
B) Same as A
C) should not start with 'in the east'
D) Same as C
E) Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
CrackverbalGMAT wrote:
When we look out for the parallel structure that is required here we can easily arrive at the right answer. The structure needed here is X had granted … but only one in Y had.

This sentence uses the concept of ellipsis. By not repeating the words granted women the right to vote at the end of the sentence, the sentence elides this using the parallel structure.

This is how we can eliminate Options A, B, C, and D in one go.
Hope this helps!

There’s a comma before BUT, so why should we go for parallelism and why not consider the part after COMMA BUT to be an Independent Clause ? So why would the answer not be C ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
By 1914, ten of the western states had granted women the right to vote, but only one in the East.

(A) only one in the East

Using concept of ellipsis why option A is wrong? Does it not convey the intended meaning?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
ekanshgoyal wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) only one in the East

Using concept of ellipsis why option A is wrong? Does it not convey the intended meaning?

CrackverbalGMAT AndrewN MartyMurray EducationAisle

I have the same doubt as above.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
shanks2020 wrote:
ekanshgoyal wrote:

CrackverbalGMAT AndrewN MartyMurray EducationAisle

I have the same doubt as above.

Hello, shanks2020. First off, I noticed you tagged me on another question regarding ellipsis. I will respond here for both. I would urge you not to create rules, but to observe tendencies and expand your knowledge as necessary whenever you might see an exception. In my mind, I cannot see any reason to favor answer choice (A) over (B)—eastern state in the latter better parallels western states from the earlier part of the sentence. (If two options are qualitatively the same, you should be able to eliminate both.) More to the point, if the phrase were moved so that it appeared right next to ten of the western states, then the verb would be understood to apply to both:

By 1914, ten of the western states, but only one eastern state, had granted women the right to vote.

If the phrase is instead placed at the end of the sentence, the reader anticipates information after but that might comment on women's right to vote: had granted women the right to vote, but... It is jarring to then encounter the second element of a comparison of sorts without a reminder that the sentence is holding one action up to another action (here, the same one, just performed in different locations). That is what the missing verb achieves. In conversational English, people use ellipsis in a number of ways that would not be acceptable on the GMAT.

Perhaps another Expert will speak more to rules, but I am quite often not going to be your guy. In any case, good luck with your studies. (Maybe 2023 will be your year to put this test behind you.)

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
AndrewN omkarkhanvilkar CrackverbalGMAT Bunuel

Option B looks much better. Please help
(B) only one eastern state (had granted women the right to vote)
(E) only one(one what? states? ) in the East had (granted women the right to vote)

For option E, we cant use "state" as this form is not mentioned in the passage. Option B seems the best from the lot.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
vishalsinghvs08 wrote:
AndrewN omkarkhanvilkar CrackverbalGMAT Bunuel

Option B looks much better. Please help
(B) only one eastern state (had granted women the right to vote)
(E) only one(one what? states? ) in the East had (granted women the right to vote)

For option E, we cant use "state" as this form is not mentioned in the passage. Option B seems the best from the lot.

Hello, vishalsinghvs08. I have discussed answer choice (B) above, its pros and cons, so I will let that one be. As for (E), I think you are too narrowly interpreting only one, which could just as easily refer to the prepositional phrase of the states, rather than the singular state. (Just because other options say state does not mean you have to preserve the phrasing in any other option. The underlined portion can be negotiated.)

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1407 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
lostminer wrote:
There’s a comma before BUT, so why should we go for parallelism and why not consider the part after COMMA BUT to be an Independent Clause ? So why would the answer not be C ?

The C version is grammatically correct, but the meaning it conveys doesn't make sense.

After all, it doesn't make sense to use "but" to contrast the following two ideas:

"ten of the western states had granted women the right to vote"

and

"in the East there was only one state"

Notice that the C version seems to illogically contrast how many western states had granted women the right to vote with simply how many states there were in the East.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts