Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 276 [2] , given: 100

Reviews Badge
By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 04:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (02:29) correct 24% (01:05) wrong based on 857 sessions
By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen official national and international speed records, and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be of dangerously experimental design.

A and she earned them at a time when avation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be
B earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew were
C earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were
D earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes she flew were
E earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [6] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen officia [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A. and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be------ flew to be -- is bad usage; to be is not a verb. We need a past tense verb such as were to mark the plural subject planes. (For is used in the menaing of because)

B. earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew were --- at a time needs when as the relative pronoun

C earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were—at a time where is wrong

D earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes she flew were—at a time in which is not proper - when is required; in addition so new such that is bad idiom.

E earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were; --- correct structure; earned is not a verb here. It is a past participle

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 18

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen officia [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 15:12
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
E earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were; --- correct structure; earned is not a verb here. It is a past participle

if it is a past participle, should it be used without comma??

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
suyash23n wrote:
Though i figured out that the OA is E, i was wondering if the grammatical error in option A is rectified, and the new answer choices are :

A- and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were
E - earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were

Will we still eliminate Option A ? (may be just because it is wordy).

Need help!!

A is still wrong IMO.

A did X and Y. Here, X and Y should be independent; i.e Y cannot be describing X further.

However, the original sentence intends to give further information ( a modifier) about the awards won. So using a "and" conjunction distorts the meaning.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen officia [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 21:38
Expert's post
Without the comma it will directly refer to the noun before. But even without comma, logically the past participle can only refer to the records, as it can not refer to any other meaningful noun. Also considering that GMAT isn’t fastidious about comma usage, E is acceptable, IMO

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 20:19
While E here is the correct answer because other answers are obviously wrong for the reasons well explained here, I still feel the correct modifier that should be used is Present participle( Verb-ing). Use of Past participle with comma here illogically makes the entities a list and the sentence ambiguous.

Although E is the best among the given choices, I still feel it is not that good.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-16-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 01:10
Though i figured out that the OA is E, i was wondering if the grammatical error in option A is rectified, and the new answer choices are :

A- and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were
E - earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were

Need help!!

Regards,
Suyash

I want to live in a world where emails are short, love letters are brave, and every "Thank you" note is scribbled by hand.
GO GREEN

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 02:06
suyash23n wrote:

Need help!!

I am no expert but I feel A is fine now . So here both A & C are fine .
I don't think A is wordy .

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-06-2013
GPA: 3.52
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 31

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 01:49
macjas wrote:
By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen official national and international speed records, and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be of dangerously experimental design.

A and she earned them at a time when avation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be
B earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew were
C earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were
D earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes she flew were
E earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were

Though i could figure out the best answer,E, i am not satisfied with the explanation OG13 has given for eleminating option B and C.
It says, " the word earning takes the pilot herself, not the records, as its subject. However, earning is close to the records, not toJacqueline Cochran, making this sentence hard to process."

But how can verb-ing modivier placed after clause preceded with comma, can modify noun/subject for the modified clause. As far as eGmat tmaterials on Verbing modifiers are concerned, the construction ---clause + , + verbing---smodifies the whole clause.

Can anyone validate the conflicting ideas? OG or Egmat... I expect Shraddha, Rajat, to pitch in.

Thnx

Anuj
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 03:25
macjas wrote:

A
like "to do", "for sb/st to do" is used to show the purpose of main clause.
I earn money for you to learn english
in this choice we need to show an effect not a purpose. it is not logic to show purpose in this choice
B
so new for st WERE
is wrong idiom
C
"where" can not refer to "time"
D
"so...such that" is not idiomatic

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 00:43
macjas wrote:

the underline should 1) be in simple past and 2) modify speed records.. So A/B/C gone..

D: "in which" and "such that" are needlessly awkward and quite frankly, erroneous..

E uses the much more concise "when" and "that".. Thus, we go with E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 82

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 00:50

A and she earned them at a time when avation was stillso new for many of the planes she flew to be ==> unidiomatic...after "So" need "THAT".
B earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew were ==> same as choice A..
C earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were....Where?? its wrong..shud be when..
D earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes she flew were===> in which is wrong here..
E earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were..correct.. so that is idiomatic...and when is coorectly used..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 04:50
pavan2185 wrote:
While E here is the correct answer because other answers are obviously wrong for the reasons well explained here, I still feel the correct modifier that should be used is Present participle( Verb-ing). Use of Past participle with comma here illogically makes the entities a list and the sentence ambiguous.

Although E is the best among the given choices, I still feel it is not that good.

:roll: :roll: I agree the this idea! I'm confused by the past participle here. If the subject of the sentence is the pilot, so I would use "and she earned" to show a parallel construction, or use "earning them at a time" to show that the pilot is the one who did the thing, so I eliminate "E" at the first glance :shock:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 07:59
Cecelia219 wrote:
I'm confused by the past participle here. If the subject of the sentence is the pilot, so I would use "and she earned" to show a parallel construction, or use "earning them at a time" to show that the pilot is the one who did the thing, so I eliminate "E" at the first glance :shock:

I believe that the past participle "earned" here is modifying "records" (official national and international speed records), and not "pilot". In fact, if the intent was to use "earned" as a "verb", then there should have been an "and" before "earned" in E. Then "held" and "earned" would have been parallel.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 10:29
Expert's post
For those interested in a video walkthrough of this question, we've posted our approach to eliminating A, B, C, and D in the OG13 Tracker here: http://www.gmatpill.com/official-guide- ... ?id=ogsc35

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen officia [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 06:30
daagh wrote:
A. and she earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be------ flew to be -- is bad usage; to be is not a verb. We need a past tense verb such as were to mark the plural subject planes. (For is used in the menaing of because)

B. earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes she flew were --- at a time needs when as the relative pronoun

C earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes she flew were—at a time where is wrong

D earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes she flew were—at a time in which is not proper - when is required; in addition so new such that is bad idiom.

E was looking most suitable but I got confused as earned I found is an orphan verb with no Clause or Subject to envelope it. How to save myself from such traps?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 23

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 11:31
I narrowed it down to C and E and eliminated "c" because of "earning". I saw earning as a present tense verb while this happened in 1940 and it should refer to past test. Was I completely off in getting to the final answer?

I can see that the "where/when" split would have been a better indicator but I missed it during the split.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 23

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 08:09
Hi

Can someone explain if there is a split between "to be" vs. "were"?

Also, I split this between "earning" and "earned" -- earning is not a verb and it leaves everything after the comma a fragment. Is that correct reasoning to take out B and C?

In B AND C, since we don't have a coordinating conjunction "and"--is it safe to say that the information after the comma DOES NOT need to be an independent clause?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 83

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 09:42
Hi There,

Option B and C starts with earning . here it looks to me earning is modifying records not pilot .I know B and C are wrong as" at a time " followed by wrong word.

But I do not understand , why all explanation says earning is modifying pilot not the records?

can you please explain?

Thank you .

GMATPill wrote:
For those interested in a video walkthrough of this question, we've posted our approach to eliminating A, B, C, and D in the OG13 Tracker here: http://www.gmatpill.com/official-guide- ... ?id=ogsc35

<a href="http://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php?sid=ea02c74d77a9ca83f3d24612723e4c68"> GMAT Club Question Bank </a>

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 83

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 10:10
I have already gone through the video.
in video,they say earning modifies pilot . that is my doubt. Earning is placed near to record , that means earning is modifying records not the pilot.

sunita123 wrote:
Hi There,

Option B and C starts with earning . here it looks to me earning is modifying records not pilot .I know B and C are wrong as" at a time " followed by wrong word.

But I do not understand , why all explanation says earning is modifying pilot not the records?

can you please explain?

Thank you .

GMATPill wrote:

<a href="http://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php?sid=ea02c74d77a9ca83f3d24612723e4c68"> GMAT Club Question Bank </a>

Re: By 1940, the pilot Jacqueline Cochran held seventeen   [#permalink] 26 May 2014, 10:10