Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Reviews Badge
Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 22:31
Hello!

I'm a bit confused about this one... and specifically want to find these type of questions to drill on, because I sincerely don't see big meaning or grammar issues.

Please your advices are very welcome!

By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

(A) enabling it to withhold from the public
(B) for it to withhold from the public
(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of
(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure
(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of

OA A. But I felt that 'it' in A can refer to Supreme Court or CIA.

My questions on the OA

I have come across several such questions where I feel that a pronoun has multiple referents but in reality it does not.

My pick was (C) I don't understand WHY is awkward?
I don't see idioms involved....

GMAT CLUB ANALYSIS:

(A) enabling it to withhold from the public -correct
(B) for it to withhold from the public -does not sounds correct to me
(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of - awkward
(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure - wrong pronoun
(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of - wrong pronoun
In choices B and C, the preposition for is used unidiomatically in place of the "-ing" modifier to introduce the phrase describing powers

WHY HAS TO BE IN (A) - AN -ING MODIFIER THAT MODIFIES POWERS
The supreme court awarded to the CIA some powers..... so?
powers FOR (intended to) withholding disclosure to the public of the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

Don't get the rationale logic of this question... and why option (B) is so awkward.
Where to find questions like this one to drill this issue?
Perhaps Aristotle 100q's meaning based questions?
Have the hard MGMAT problems from the advanced sentence correction workshop but I didn't encounter questions with this type of annoying questions for me.

Any experts, Veritas, Magoosh, dear experts, please your help and suggestions...

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 13:39
ricardocs84 wrote:
Hello!

I'm a bit confused about this one... and specifically want to find these type of questions to drill on, because I sincerely don't see big meaning or grammar issues.

Please your advices are very welcome!

By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

OA A. But I felt that 'it' in A can refer to Supreme Court or CIA.

My questions on the OA

I have come across several such questions where I feel that a pronoun has multiple referents but in reality it does not.

My pick was (C) I don't understand WHY is awkward?
I don't see idioms involved....

GMAT CLUB ANALYSIS:

(A) enabling it to withhold from the public -correct
(B) for it to withhold from the public -does not sounds correct to me
(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of - awkward
(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure - wrong pronoun
(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of - wrong pronoun
In choices B and C, the preposition for is used unidiomatically in place of the "-ing" modifier to introduce the phrase describing powers

WHY HAS TO BE IN (A) - AN -ING MODIFIER THAT MODIFIES POWERS
The supreme court awarded to the CIA some powers..... so?
powers FOR (intended to) withholding disclosure to the public of the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

Don't get the rationale logic of this question... and why option (B) is so awkward.
Where to find questions like this one to drill this issue?
Perhaps Aristotle 100q's meaning based questions?
Have the hard MGMAT problems from the advanced sentence correction workshop but I didn't encounter questions with this type of annoying questions for me.

Any experts, Veritas, Magoosh, dear experts, please your help and suggestions...

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo

Ricardo,

Per egmat, pronoun refers to logical antecedent.

Does court withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information? No but CIA does. Thats the reson CIA is the logical antecedent.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Reviews Badge
Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 15:59
Thanks Maaadhu

Yes, I was very aware of the "logical antecedent" in (A), in this case it could only possible refer back to the CIA.

Sometimes though, there are questions in which it does not seem enough to have just a "logical antecedent" but is required a grammatical one, that's why I discarded (A) unaware of the awkwardness of (C). I thought that C was "safer".

Please dear fellows, experts, if you know some good SC question bank (aside from the OG and GMATPREP banks) to drill on, kindly suggest.

I have posted the same thread in MGMAT forums, check if you want to, here's the link,

Best,

Ricardo

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/mul ... 6ef846822c
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 21:14

why b is wrong. it is clear that meaning in b is different from that in a. but we need a clear reason to eliminate b

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 49

Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 00:52
Hi ,

Can someone explain how to figure out weather to use 'Enable' or 'Enabling' assuming that the rest of the sentence is correct. :?:
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 05:05
I think CIA is singular to it is fine we can eliminate they and them D, E out .

B and C powers for is unidiomatic. So A

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2014, 05:05