Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By analyzing the garbage of a large number of average-sized

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

By analyzing the garbage of a large number of average-sized [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2003, 21:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (03:17) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
. By analyzing the garbage of a large number of average-sized households, a group of modern urban anthropologists has found that a household discards less food the more standardizedтАФmade up of canned and prepackaged foodsтАФits diet is. The more standardized a householdтАЩs diet is, however, the greater the quantities of fresh produce the household throws away.
Which of the following can be properly inferred from the passage?
(A) An increasing number of households rely on a highly standardized diet.
(B) The less standardized a householdтАЩs diet is, the more nonfood waste the household discards.
(C) The less standardized a householdтАЩs diet is, the smaller is the proportion of fresh produce in the householdтАЩs food waste.
(D) The less standardized a householdтАЩs diet is, the more canned and prepackaged foods the household discards as waste.
(E) The more fresh produce a household buys, the more fresh produce it throws away.

Please explain your position.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2003, 00:08
here's my thoughts

1. more standardized diet >>>less food is discarded
2. more standardized diet >>>more fresh food is discarded (this introduces one more component to the 'food'.
If they waste more fresh food, but the total amount of discarded food decreases, there must be something that takes a larger share of a garbage or something that decreases at a greater rate, and something which otherwise would have constituted a large proportion in the total amount of food garbage (in case of less standardized diet). That is canned food. Answer C.
Why I disregard D? In fact I did not find any mathematical flaws in this answer, but I like C more, since it is more precise.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2003, 00:22
I'll say C

Let's compare two households:

First one with SUPER STANDARTIZED diet (SS)
Second with VERY UNSTANDARTIZED (VU)

We know that
1. the more standard -> less food in waste
2. the more standard -> more fresh produce in waste

Waste of SS

Let's take:

100 unit of food of which 50 fresh produce (50% proportion)

Consequently for waste of VU

More than 100 unit of food (say 200) of which less than 50 fresh produce (say 10)
Summary:
200 unit of food of which 10 - fresh produce (5% proportion)

We can see that VU has much smaller proportion of fresh produce in total food waste -> C

However, we can solve it in other way (POE)

A and E - clearly out of the scope
Since we know nothing about non-food waste -> B is out
D is tempting, but IMO is wrong since FRESH FOOD and CANNED and PREPACAGED FOOD is not a full set of FOOD
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2003, 00:53
you employ so elaborated techniques... they consume a lot of time.
I simply follow the initial line of reasoning:

(1) IF the households apply more standardized diet, THEN they discard less food
(2) IF they apply more standardized diet, THEN the households throw away more fresh produce.

Inference (1) IF the households apply LESS standardized diet, THEN they discard MORE food. No such options.

Inference (2) (not a conclusion!): IF they apply LESS standardized diet, THEN the households throw away LESS fresh produce. C matches.

Correct conclusions:

(1) IF the households discard MORE food, THEN they apply LESS standardized diet.

(2) IF the households throw away LESS fresh produce, THEN they apply LESS standardized diet.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2003, 01:18
You can not conclude that C is right just out of the inference (2) solely.

We are talking about proportions (in C) not about absolute values.

If you join inference 1 and inference 2, you'll come up to the right conclusion.

You should note that since total amount of discarded food is going UP (when standartization of a diet decreasing) and total amount of fresh produce going DOWN. -> share of fresh products in waste is decreasing

Last edited by Mikhail on 05 Nov 2003, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2003, 01:36
You think that we should unite inferences (1) and (2) to get C, right?
I think it is not that necessary. If we had had 20 options, uniting would have been a must. In our case, that C is correct is seen after writing Inf (2).
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2003, 02:23
IF they (households) apply LESS standardized diet, THEN the households throw away LESS fresh produce (than do householdes with MORE standardized diet).
=>
The less standardized a household’s diet is, the smaller is the proportion of fresh produce in the household’s food waste.

Stolyar,
am I right assuming that you think that reasoning above is valid?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2003, 02:28
As I told before, I think that that C is correct is seen after writing inf (2).
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2003, 02:40
OK

Either I haven't understood you or I am not agree with you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 107

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By analyzing the garbage of a large number of average-sized [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 09:52
C does the best job, so that is my pick.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Re: By analyzing the garbage of a large number of average-sized   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2012, 09:52