Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 44

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 23:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

82% (01:59) correct 18% (01:04) wrong based on 136 sessions
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term

d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

MGMAT CAT MATH mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3664 [4] , given: 185

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gomennassai wrote:
I am going for A, simply because all other options have included "manager". What is the guarantee that managers are who are supposedly planning operations? Aren't we unnecessarily introducing a new term?

Just a BIG guess.

Hi There,

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

Well, you are right that the correct answer choice (Choice B) includes an alien term “manager” which is not present in the original sentence. However, we must not just eliminate an answer choice just because it has a new word. We must evaluate the role of that word in the sentence. If the word enhances the meaning of the sentence, then we should accept it. If the new word introduces an error in the sentence then it is certainly a nuisance. Get rid of it.

In this sentence, introduction of “manager” is actually enhancing the sentence. The opening modifier now has a better entity to modify. It is clear that by applying... techniques, company’s managers can achieve something.

Choice A also has parallelism error also. Notice “both the short and long terms”. Here we have two markers, “both” and “and”. Both the markers must be followed by the same entity to maintain parallelism. “both” is followed by “the”. However, there is no “the” after “and”. To make it parallel, we need either “both the short and the long terms” or “both short and long terms”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3664 [4] , given: 185

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

I was also between stuck in the end between B and E but then E was knocked because of the parallelism error in both the x and the y, however, I want to understand isnt it referring back to Company and then I remember reading about possessive poison.

Please confirm!

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

This is the sentence with Choice E:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term.

In this sentence, along with the parallelism issue that you have mentioned, “each of these products” has no reference. What are these “each of these products”? Does the sentence contain a list of products to which this phrase can be referred? No. This reference error makes choice E incorrect.

Now let’s analyze the sentence with choice B:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals.

Pronoun “its” is a possessive noun. This means it must refer to a possessive noun. There is only one possessive noun in the sentence – “company’s”. So without any ambiguity, possessive “its” is referring to “company’s”. If we replace “its” with “company’s” we get the logical intended meaning of the sentence:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet company’s short and long term goals.
Hence, this choice is error free.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [3] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The essence of a dangling modifier is the absence of the modified noun and we are required to bring it into the sentence, although it may not be there in the original. For example:

After frying in the pan, the entire lot of fish was eaten.

Who ate the fish? This is tricky and GOK; so this is a defective sentence. Now let’s make it more sensible by introducing a new factor namely the doer of the action or the modified noun of the participial modifier after frying in the pan.

After frying in the pan, the cook ate the entire lot of fish.

Now this sentence is better. Thus in dangling modifier cases, the introduction of the doer turns the sentence meaningful and straight. This is how the term manager has crept in royally and grammatically in the correct choice in the given text

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 03:36
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for B..these is the culprit in e
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 00:29
I'm not sure about the answer but methinks its B

"By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations" needs to correctly modify who is applying these techniques; hence "a company's managers...

E I feel is wrong because the second clause has a "these", a pronoun that has no proper antecedent...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 08:36
option "b" is incorrect because "its" has no clear referrent , hence e is right . here "its" wrongly refers to company's products instead of company
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 4

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 13:14
I will go for B as well. the antecedent of its is company's. Its is a possessive adj so it can refer back to another possessive adj.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 13:22
I am going for A, simply because all other options have included "manager". What is the guarantee that managers are who are supposedly planning operations? Aren't we unnecessarily introducing a new term?

Just a BIG guess.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 13:37
"By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations" should modify "managers" who can apply the techniques, that eliminates A,C,D .

between B and E . E can be eliminated because of "these" which has no antecedent and lack of parallelism "both the short and long term".
So , B is the answer.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 10:45
Could anyone please tell where should is used ?
Plus why Its in B is right where ?

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 16:50
Daagh and Shraddha(egmat) thank you for your explanations.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 13

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 20:22
egmat wrote:
gomennassai wrote:

Just a BIG guess.

Hi There,

Well, you are right that the correct answer choice (Choice B) includes an alien term “manager” which is not present in the original sentence. However, we must not just eliminate an answer choice just because it has a new word. We must evaluate the role of that word in the sentence. If the word enhances the meaning of the sentence, then we should accept it. If the new word introduces an error in the sentence then it is certainly a nuisance. Get rid of it.

In this sentence, introduction of “manager” is actually enhancing the sentence. The opening modifier now has a better entity to modify. It is clear that by applying... techniques, company’s managers can achieve something.

Choice A also has parallelism error also. Notice “both the short and long terms”. Here we have two markers, “both” and “and”. Both the markers must be followed by the same entity to maintain parallelism. “both” is followed by “the”. However, there is no “the” after “and”. To make it parallel, we need either “both the short and the long terms” or “both short and long terms”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

I shortlisted B and E, can please help me with ans B / E

b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to
each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
--> In this answer choice what is the antecedent for pronoun "its"?

e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of
these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term
--> "these products" is refering to managers and not company, so dont think that right....

Regards,
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 22:04
It's between B and E.

But what does 'its' refer to - company's managers or company's products - both are plural. I dont see "company" out there in option B.

E has "these".

b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 06:09
Hi Shraddha,

I was also between stuck in the end between B and E but then E was knocked because of the parallelism error in both the x and the y, however, I want to understand isnt it referring back to Company and then I remember reading about possessive poison.

Please confirm!

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 03:43
egmat wrote:
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Please confirm!

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

This is the sentence with Choice E:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term.

In this sentence, along with the parallelism issue that you have mentioned, “each of these products” has no reference. What are these “each of these products”? Does the sentence contain a list of products to which this phrase can be referred? No. This reference error makes choice E incorrect.

Now let’s analyze the sentence with choice B:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals.

Pronoun “its” is a possessive noun. This means it must refer to a possessive noun. There is only one possessive noun in the sentence – “company’s”. So without any ambiguity, possessive “its” is referring to “company’s”. If we replace “its” with “company’s” we get the logical intended meaning of the sentence:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet company’s short and long term goals.
Hence, this choice is error free.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for detailed explanation. However, in Choice B:
"By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals."

--> I think the "company's" in this sentence plays the role of possessive adjective, hence, can't be consider as antecedent of "its".

Quote from GMAT Manhattan:

" The board is investigating several executives' compensation packages in order to determine how much may have been improperly awarded to them"[color=#ed1c24][/color]
--> This is considered WRONG because "them" cannot refer to "executives' ".

can you help to explain and differentiate these 2 cases?

Many thanks in advance :)
YL
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2014, 03:43