Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 14:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:58) wrong based on 1 sessions
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
E managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

A: dangling modifier, its has no antecedent (should be company, but there´s no company)
B: its has no antecedent (should be company, but there´s no company)
C: same as A
D: dangling modifier, these products have no reference
E: these products have no reference

So...I dont know...I´m with F!

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques (I´m with F) [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 15:19
noboru wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
E managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

A: dangling modifier, its has no antecedent (should be company, but there´s no company)
B: its has no antecedent (should be company, but there´s no company)
C: same as A
D: dangling modifier, these products have no reference
E: these products have no reference

So...I dont know...I´m with F!

Answer B

its refers to "the company's" ..in this case possessive to possessive
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques (I´m with F) [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 17:50
IMO E

"By applying optimization techniques...," should be followed by someone who applies those techniques. E looks good for that reason as it has "managers", also as you mentioned... there is the problem of dangling "its" which E takes care of.
But E does change the original meaning by replacing "company's products" with "these products" F would have been a good option... wat the F :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques (I´m with F) [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 18:54
The clear options which correct the modifier error are B and E.
Between these two options, I would choose B for the same reason as lagomez.
In addition, E uses the more wordy “goals in both the short and long term” and B uses the more precise “short and long term goals”.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 12

Re: optimization techniques (I´m with F) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 00:22
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks guys for the good question. I would have gone with E. but seeing that B is a better bet. MGMAT does not endorse much for X's constructions, but E has a refence issue - there products.

So B

I dont think F is needed
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 60

Re: optimization techniques (I´m with F) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 00:49
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques (I´m with F) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 01:48
“By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations” should be followed by “managers”

So choice A, C and D are out.

In choice E “these” doesn’t has a referent.

So IMO the answer is B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques (I´m with F) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 02:52
In MCQs, We are required to select the best choice. The choice may not be entirely correct but at-least better than the rest.

Consider kudos for good post.

Re: optimization techniques (I´m with F)   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2009, 02:52