Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 17:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

64% (01:43) correct 36% (00:52) wrong based on 43 sessions
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Last edited by alexBLR on 16 Mar 2010, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 19:44
alexBLR wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Please underline the actual question part.

My take is E. what's the OA?

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 76985

CAT Tests
Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 04:48
IMO B

A,C, and D are passive. E says these products which doesnot refer back to anything

hence B is correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 11:47
I go for E...

modifiers is the issue with the orginal sentence. using "managers after the comma" solves that techniques are used by managers for .....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 09:46
This question must be posted in sentence correction.

A beginner. I will post my progress here.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 12:09
I will go for B.

A, C, D modifier issues..

E.. these products does not have clear reference..

So, only B is remaining.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 12:46
Here, there is a gerund problem 'the short and long terms'.

There is unnecessary wording here at the end
Here, what does 'these' refer to in this sentence
Again, what does 'these' refer to

So, I will go with B
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 13:53
OA is B.
Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 09:18
I went with D, only because I thought removing "possibly" changed the meaning too much. I guess changing the meaning isn't as significant an error as the use of "these" in D.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 18:37
Hey all, I know I'm bumping a very old thread, but I just encountered this problem, and consider all the choices to be wrong.

I got the question correct, choosing B as the lesser of five evils.

However, it uses the pronoun 'its' which does not have a proper antecedent. You can assume that the antecedent should be 'the company'. However, if you notice, 'company' never exists as a noun in the sentence, only "a company's managers" and "the company's products".

Am I missing something here?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1599 [0], given: 249

Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 22:24
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
‘Its’ is a possessive pronoun and the ‘company’s’ is also a possessive noun. What more is required for proper reference? May I know the reason for asking for a possessive pronoun to stand for a non-possessive noun such as “a company”.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 6

Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 11:45
Expert's post
alexBLR wrote:

Just based on sentence structure, the only possible answers can be narrowed down to (B) and (E).
Both allow the "-ING" verb to describe the subject of the main part of the sentence after the comma.

However in (E), it's unclear what "these products" is referring to.

In (B), it is much clearer when the sentence says "company's products." Sure, the sentence does not directly mention "company" earlier in the sentence. Instead it says "a company's managers"---but still it's pretty clear what we're talking about here. Much clearer than it is in (E).

Could (B) have been written to be even clearer by directly saying "company" instead of "a company's..."---sure. But remember the GMAT exam is never black or white. It's not about what is absolutely technically correct. Doing well is about choosing the best of the available answer choices. And in the case, don't waste time by mulling over minute details in (B). (B) is the best from the list.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 12:14
+1 B

"these" in E doesn't have a clear referent.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 12:29
fluke wrote:
dc123 wrote:
C is perfect

Can I ask, why?

C cannot be perfect because you need a clear subject for the subordinate phrase "By applying...operations".

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: optimization techniques [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 18:48
I pick B. D is out with 'may' and E is out with 'these products'. A is out with 'a company's products' . Between B and C, B looks more straight.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 582 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 12:58
alexBLR wrote:

here is the OE

This sentence begins with a modifier, yet leaves absent who will be applying optimization techniques (This is termed a "dangling" modifier.) Also, the sentence is unnecessarily wordy in its use of the phrases “ought to” and “in both the short and long terms.”

(A) This choice incorrectly repeats the original sentence.

(B) CORRECT. The sentence correctly places “a company’s managers” adjacent to the modifier such that the meaning is clear, and the sentence is otherwise concise.

(C) This answer does not correct the original modifier error. It also weakens the sentence by replacing the active voice with the passive voice in its use of “can be determined by company managers.” The sentence’s concluding use of “goals, both short and long term” is awkward.

(D) This answer does not correct the original modifier error. In this choice, the phrase “may be possible” is unnecessary and weakens the sentence. This choice also incorrectly uses the word “these,” as the products have not been referenced earlier in the sentence.

(E) This sentence resolves the modifier issue, but incorrectly uses the word “these,” as the products have not been referenced earlier in the sentence. This choice is also wordy in its use of “ought to” and “in both the short and long term.”

HOPE IT HELPS

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 00:08
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 00:39
IMO B
case of dangling modifier...we have to introduce a noun
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 11

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 09:38
alexBLR wrote:

Its B !!

Because of Dangling modifier issue, A/C/D out, Between B & E , E : use of these products is wrong makes sentence meaning ambiguous

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2014, 08:04
daagh wrote:
‘Its’ is a possessive pronoun and the ‘company’s’ is also a possessive noun. What more is required for proper reference? May I know the reason for asking for a possessive pronoun to stand for a non-possessive noun such as “a company”.

Daagh, Which answer choice are you advocating.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2014, 08:04