Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 14:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 22:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (02:14) correct 34% (01:20) wrong based on 189 sessions
By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the recording industry associations of North America, Japan, and Europe hope to create a standardized way of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute digital music illegally.

(A) of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute
(B) of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet and to protect copyright holders and foiling the many audio pirates copying and distributing
(C) for distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet while it protects copyright holders and foils the many audio pirates who copy and distribute
(D) to distribute songs and full-length recordings on the Internet while they will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates copying and distributing
(E) to distribute songs and full-length recordings on the Internet and it will protect copyright holders and foiling the many audio pirates who copy and distribute

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 50
Page: 44
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 23:09
A for me!

B - "to protect copyright holders and foiling...." wrong use of -ing. It is the new system that will foil the pirates..
C/E - No reference for "it"
D - No reference for they

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sc-Secure Digital Music Initiative [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 23:25
A is correct , that correctly introduces the clause "will protect".
B - and to protect : not PARALLEL and foiling - incorrect verb tense.
C,D,E - unclear whether the recording industry, standardization or internet protects copyrights and prevents privacy..they,it...pronouns with no clear antecedent.

cool_jonny009 wrote:
By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative,the recording Industry associations of North America, Japan, and Europe hope to create a standardizied way of distributing songs and full length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute digital music illegally

a)of distributing songs and full length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute

b) of distributing songs and full length recordings on the Internet and to protect copyright holders and foiling the many audion pirates copying and distributing

c) for distributing songs and full length recordings on the Internet while it protects copyright holders and foils the many audio pirates who copy and distribute

d) to distribute songs and full recordings on the Internet while they will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates copying and distributing

e) to distribute songs and full lenght recordings on the Internet and it will protect copyright holders and foiling the many audio pirates who copy and distribute

Pls explain ..your answer !!!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 23:39
guys how do you justify the "that" just before the Internet. It gives the Impression that Internet will protect

that - why its not restrictive caluse here i.e why its not refering to Internet"
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 23:54
On the internet...is a prepositional phrase modifying the recording...do I make any sense ?

That - here defines the standardized way...

C,D,E add one pronoun or the other and mess things up.

cool_jonny009 wrote:
guys how do you justify the "that" just before the Internet. It gives the Impression that Internet will protect

that - why its not restrictive caluse here i.e why its not refering to Internet"
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 06:53
Yes, the answer must be "A" by POE.

1. standardized way of v-ing~ that~ is idiomatic.
2. "associations" are plural, so the pronoun "it" is incorrect in C and E.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 07:10
lhotseface wrote:
On the internet...is a prepositional phrase modifying the recording...do I make any sense ?

cool_jonny009 wrote:

lhotseface,

So you are saying that "Relative clause Pronoun" can not apply to object of preposition.
Is that a grammar rule ?

Grammar experts pls explain !!!!!!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 15:00
cool_jonny009 wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

cool_jonny009 wrote:

lhotseface,

So you are saying that "Relative clause Pronoun" can not apply to object of preposition.
Is that a grammar rule ?

OA is A .
but can somebody explain ...the relative pronoun "that" in A . Why its not refering to Internet ??? :?:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 20:10
cool_jonny009 wrote:
cool_jonny009 wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

cool_jonny009 wrote:

lhotseface,

Is that a grammar rule ?

OA is A .
but can somebody explain ...the relative pronoun "that" in A . Why its not refering to Internet ??? :?:

As Bhai pointed it correctly, it is referring to "the standardized way". The sentence talks entirely about "the standardized way".
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 20:29
I am little bit confused by this new digital music delivery...

If I cut the cr*p out of the sentence which one of the following should be the correct interpretation?

By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative,the recording Industry associations of North America, Japan, and Europe hope to create a standardizied way of distributing songs and full length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and (hope to) foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute digital music illegally

OR

By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative,the recording Industry associations of North America, Japan, and Europe hope to create a standardizied way of distributing songs and full length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute digital music illegally

SC gurus please advise. :roll:

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 20:38
giddi77 wrote:
I am little bit confused by this new digital music delivery...

If I cut the cr*p out of the sentence which one of the following should be the correct interpretation?

By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative,the recording Industry associations of North America, Japan, and Europe hope to create a standardizied way of distributing songs and full length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and (hope to) foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute digital music illegally

OR

:roll:

Second is correct. The sentence talks about "standardize way" that will do so many things :) ......they have already found a way, which is hoped to this all this.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 4

Re: By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 16:13
this was a tough one, but thanks for the explanation guys.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 18

Re: By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 07:32
i have a wild question. In D, if there is "that" instead of "while they" , would that make D a better choice than A?

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 06:07
alchemist009 wrote:
i have a wild question. In D, if there is "that" instead of "while they" , would that make D a better choice than A?

Yes absolutely, I think it will. I still think D is more correct grammatically.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 01:45
score780 wrote:
alchemist009 wrote:

Yes absolutely, I think it will. I still think D is more correct grammatically.

Can someone please help with this one? If "while they" was not used in D, would it have been more correct grammatically?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1096 [0], given: 118

Re: By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 15:13
score780 wrote:
Can someone please help with this one? If "while they" was not used in D, would it have been more correct grammatically?

Nope. even when you eliminate "while", D is still incorrect. The reason is.

First, you need to know What protects copyright and foils audio pirates? The associations or a standardized way? The answer is a standardized way, because the associations are already protecting the recording industry by other means, not a new standardized way. So we need "that" in A to modify a standardized way by which the associations hope copyright holders will be protected and the many audio pirates will be foiled.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 543

Re: By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 01:37
What is the referent for "that" is it ---> standardized way?

Can someone explain errors in the answer choices. Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 537 [2] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 02:58
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
What is the referent for "that" is it ---> standardized way?

Can someone explain errors in the answer choices. Thanks!

By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the recording industry associations of North America, Japan, and Europe hope to create a standardized way of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute digital music illegally.

(A) of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute==>CORRECT
THAT -= STANDARDIZED WAY
(B) of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet and to protect copyright holders and foiling the many audio pirates copying and distributing
WRONG.
TO CREATE.....AND TO PROTECT.....AND FOILING ===>Not a correct way to make parallel.
moreover meaning is distorted.
(C) for distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet while it protects copyright holders and foils the many audio pirates who copy and distribute
WRONG.
-WAY FOR DISTRIBUTING ==wrong idiom...correct idiom is WAY OF ...
-WHILE changes the meaning.
(D) to distribute songs and full-length recordings on the Internet while they will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates copying and distributing
WRONG.
-TO DISTRIBUTE ==>means that standardized way's sole purpose was to distribute==>thus wrong.
-WHILE==>changes the meaning
-THEY ==>PRONOUN number error as STANDARDIZED WAY = SINGULAR
(E) to distribute songs and full-length recordings on the Internet and it will protect copyright holders and foiling the many audio pirates who copy and distribute
WRONG.
-USE OF TO is wrong same as D
-USE OF IT ==>redundant
-AND FOILING breaks the paralllelism.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 416 [0], given: 99

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 04:03
Expert's post
cool_jonny009 wrote:

(A) of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 50
Page: 44
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:

Hi Verbal Experts,
I'm not getting how 'that' refers to 'a standardized way' as it's too far away I guess...?

Could you please share your analysis on this question?

Appreciate your reply.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Re: By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2013, 04:03