Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 07:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 00:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

20% (01:48) correct 80% (00:38) wrong based on 11 sessions
957. By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine, protecting the public.
(A) By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine, protecting the public.
(B) By law, only a qualified physician can prescribe medicine, protecting the public.
(C) By law, only a qualified physician can prescribe medicine which protects the public.
(D) In order to protect the public, by law a qualified physician only can prescribe medicine.
(E) In order to protect the public, by law only a qualified physician can prescribe medicine.

Please explain..
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 482 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 01:38
KocharRohit wrote:
957. By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine, protecting the public.

(A) By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine, protecting the public.
(B) By law, only a qualified physician can prescribe medicine, protecting the public.
(C) By law, only a qualified physician can prescribe medicine which protects the public.
(D) In order to protect the public, by law a qualified physician only can prescribe medicine.
(E) In order to protect the public, by law only a qualified physician can prescribe medicine.

Please explain..

B: It doesnot look like a gmat sc question however it could be a sc question.

C looks correct but misses a tiny small comma before which.
Rest are obvious wrong options.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 05:41
IMO "D".

A-- Conveys wrong meaning
B-- Seems a fragmanted sentence
C-- Use of which is wrong. Even if we have comma before "which", still it would be wrong.
D-- Conveys the correct meaning.
E-- By using "only" soon after "by law" changes the meaning. It can be read as "by law only", instead of "only a qualified physician"

So "D" for me.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 06:47
Hey guys,

This question has already been discussed here: sc-qualified-physician-71546.html

Cheers.

Click below to check out some great tips and tricks to help you deal with problems on Remainders!
compilation-of-tips-and-tricks-to-deal-with-remainders-86714.html#p651942

Word Problems Made Easy!
1) Translating the English to Math : word-problems-made-easy-87346.html
2) 'Work' Problems Made Easy : work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
3) 'Distance/Speed/Time' Word Problems Made Easy : distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 482 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 10:24
sriharimurthy wrote:
Hey guys,

This question has already been discussed here: sc-qualified-physician-71546.html

Cheers.

I know none of the choices seems correct. OA as E is not convincing. "Only and by law" are properly placed in B but not the modifying phrase. I chose B for "Only and by law".

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 564 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT TIGER wrote:
sriharimurthy wrote:
Hey guys,

Cheers.

I know none of the choices seems correct. OA as E is not convincing. "Only and by law" are properly placed in B but not the modifying phrase. I chose B for "Only and by law".

B would be wrong I guess because 'protecting the public' becomes vague. Is the law protecting the public or is the physician protecting the public?

I had a doubt with D. Apparently 'only' is not placed correctly. However, I feel that the sentence makes perfect sense. In no way does it imply that the physician can 'only' prescribe medicine.

If the sentence would have been :
In order to protect the public, by law a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine.
Then I would've understood why 'only' is not in the correct position.

However, as it stands, I fail to see what is wrong with the placement of 'only' in choice (D).

Click below to check out some great tips and tricks to help you deal with problems on Remainders!
compilation-of-tips-and-tricks-to-deal-with-remainders-86714.html#p651942

Word Problems Made Easy!
1) Translating the English to Math : word-problems-made-easy-87346.html
2) 'Work' Problems Made Easy : work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
3) 'Distance/Speed/Time' Word Problems Made Easy : distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 20:00
sriharimurthy wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
sriharimurthy wrote:
Hey guys,

Cheers.

B would be wrong I guess because 'protecting the public' becomes vague. Is the law protecting the public or is the physician protecting the public?

I had a doubt with D. Apparently 'only' is not placed correctly. However, I feel that the sentence makes perfect sense. In no way does it imply that the physician can 'only' prescribe medicine.

If the sentence would have been :
In order to protect the public, by law a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine.
Then I would've understood why 'only' is not in the correct position.

However, as it stands, I fail to see what is wrong with the placement of 'only' in choice (D).

Only should be placed before the word it modifies. Not after. :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 09:30
So it means that the letter d is correct. "In order to protect the public, by law a qualified physician only can prescribe medicine." It has the correct meaning and more specific.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 10:57
NICE question... I also picked C but after reading all discussions, looks like E is the answer

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 18:43
I think e changes the meaning, whereas D doesn't. Strongly inclined towards D

Gonna make it this time

Re: By law, a qualified physician can only prescribe medicine...   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2010, 18:43