Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By offering lower prices and a menu of personal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 116

By offering lower prices and a menu of personal [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 02:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:49) correct 24% (01:07) wrong based on 270 sessions
189. By offering lower prices and a menu of personal communications options, such as caller identification and voice mail, the new telecommunications company has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced them to offer competitive prices.
(A) has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced them
(B) has not only captured customers from other phone companies, but it also forced them
(C) has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced these companies
(D) not only has captured customers from other phone companies but also these companies have been forced
(E) not only captured customers from other phone companies, but it also has forced them

p.s: plz provide an explanation too
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Last edited by Zarrolou on 10 May 2013, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: SC- Diff 600-700 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 09:22
relative noun concept-them refer to customers or other phone companies so

A, B and E- out

out D and C - C look more logical and precise
Goizueta Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Diff 600-700 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 09:53
I agree with jagdeep. C is the correct answer. "Them" provides an ambiguous reference. Adding "These companies" avoid the ambigous reference and thus makes the sentence grammatically correct.

D is incorrect because of the placement of "Has". Has should be before "not only".
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: a menu of personal communications options [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 23:09
THEM in this sentence makes ambiguous, it could refer to customers and other phone companies. So, choice A, B, and E are out.

Choice D is wrong because of parallelism error. Therefore, the final choice is C.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By offering lower prices and a menu of personal [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 09:56
Hi,

Two questions. Pronoun, them is closer to companies than customers, so I think them properly refers to the companies? If not, could you please correct me.

Is there some kind of rule to identify the antecedent of a pronoun other the nearest noun to a pronoun? Please provide a reference link to the explanation.

Also, there is no comma before the conjunction but; Is this fine?
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1162 [2] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: By offering lower prices and a menu of personal [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 15:47
This post received
KUDOS
kiranck007 wrote:
Hi,

Two questions. Pronoun, them is closer to companies than customers, so I think them properly refers to the companies? If not, could you please correct me.

Hi kiranck007

The syntax is: has not only captured X ....., but also forced Y..............
captured // forced
X should be // Y
Hence, "them" does not modify the nearest noun - "customers"
To solve this problem, you repeat the noun/noun phrase you want to mention.

Quote:
Is there some kind of rule to identify the antecedent of a pronoun other the nearest noun to a pronoun? Please provide a reference link to the explanation.

Also, there is no comma before the conjunction but; Is this fine?

* which (relative clause) ==> always modifies a preceding noun or noun phrase
* that (relative clause) ==> always modifies a preceding noun or noun phrase
* V+ing modifier without a comma ==> always modifies a preceding noun or noun phrase
* V+ed modifier ==> always modifies a preceding noun or noun phrase

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 211 [3] , given: 10

Re: By offering lower prices and a menu of personal [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 20:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There is no absolute rule for identifying the antecedent. "Them" can refer to any plural noun in the sentence, as long as "they," "them," or "their" hasn't already been used to refer to some other plural noun. However, it's important to use sentence structure and whatever you can gather of the author's intent to determine the correct antecedent. The GMAT doesn't test pronoun ambiguity much, but since we have a choice in this case to replace the unclear "them" with the actual noun, it's wise to do so.

As for the word but, it does not necessarily require a comma. You definitely use a comma if it's joining two independent clauses:

I'm enjoying the party, but I have to leave now.

However, there are many other cases where we don't need one:

The robot has a small but powerful engine.
All but one of the guests arrived late.
I aced the verbal section but timed out on the quant.

Or, as we see here . ..

She has not only written three bestselling novels but also developed fifteen important patents.

Note that the use of "has not only" vs. "not only has" cannot be decided in isolation. Either construction could work. "Not only . . . but also" is a parallelism indicator, so we can use "has" afterward as long as it is parallel. In other words, we can say "She has not only X but also Y" or "She not only HAS X but also HAS Y." We just can't say "She not only HAS X but also Y." Having said that, I prefer the usage in the correct answer. There's not much reason to use "has" twice.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: By offering lower prices and a menu of personal [#permalink] New post 31 May 2014, 21:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: By offering lower prices and a menu of personal   [#permalink] 31 May 2014, 21:13