Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 02:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 134 [3] , given: 116

By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 15:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:54) correct 50% (01:04) wrong based on 216 sessions
By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were slowly stretched out in an otherwise silent chamber, and then digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not continuous but consisted of individual bursts or pops just thousandths of a second long.

(A) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not
(B) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found that the noise was not
(C) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to be
(D) the sound emissions were digitized and analyzed on computers, a team of scientists found that the noise was not
(E) the sound emissions were digitized and analyzed on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to be

Quote:
why not B ?
the structure noise not to be appears a little akward. Can somebody help me with the choice of OA?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 27 Feb 2014, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected the OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 60

Re: By recording the noise of [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 19:48
In B found that is not parallel to but consisted
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: By recording the noise of [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 21:42
Hi Maybeam,

Are you sure that OA is C? It doesn't make sense. Answer should be B as parallelism is maintained in option B. We need a relative clause here in order to tell the findings of the scientists.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 116

Re: By recording the noise of [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 02:22
dragonball wrote:
Hi Maybeam,

Are you sure that OA is C? It doesn't make sense. Answer should be B as parallelism is maintained in option B. We need a relative clause here in order to tell the findings of the scientists.

I m not sure. in the doc i refer it is C
i marked as B.

if its B then plz let me know.

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: By recording the noise of [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 11:31
looks like answer is b

http://www.beatthegmat.com/noise-t67737.html
http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... sions.html

it would be great if experts can help.

maybeam wrote:
dragonball wrote:
Hi Maybeam,

I m not sure. in the doc i refer it is C
i marked as B.

if its B then plz let me know.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: By recording the noise of [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 11:49
rajmatthew wrote:
In B found that is not parallel to but consisted

Why do you think "found that is not parallel to but consisted" in B

I think in this context "found that" is the most correct idiom, hence B should be the answer.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: By recording the noise of [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 13:01
i'm suprised most of pepole took B,i chose C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: By recording the noise of [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 01:20
I chose C as well .. The verdict was between B and C, but then I thought "was not" may be not a right usage, as that may be inferred as something that happened in past and is over, but the property of the sound still exists and hence meaning came out a little better. But this was a guess. Experts please explain your view.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 26

Re: By recording the noise of [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
Here the usage of "that" must be looked into.

After a verb, "that" often can be omitted without loss in meaning.

He said that he was tired. No need for "that"

We need to use "that" in cases when the words following the verb can be mistaken as the object of the verb.

In the above question, "a team of scientists found that the noise was not" here we can omit "that"

By recording....digitizing..analyzing....a team of scientists found the noise was not...

In case the structure was....... "A team of scientists on recording...digitizing..analyzing, found "that" the noise....."

Hope it solves the issue!...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 304

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 09:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 142

Re: By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 13:05
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/01/us/no ... opera.html

found B in that NYT article.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 17:02
maybeam wrote:
By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were slowly stretched out in an otherwise silent chamber, and then digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not continuous but consisted of individual bursts or pops just thousandths of a second long.

(A) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not
(B) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found that the noise was not
(C) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to be
(D) the sound emissions were digitized and analyzed on computers, a team of scientists found that the noise was not
(E) the sound emissions were digitized and analyzed on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to be

Quote:
why not B ?
the structure noise not to be appears a little akward. Can somebody help me with the choice of OA?

HI Team,
Please explain this.I am confused.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 47

Re: By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 20:38

THE CLEAR CONTENDERS ARE "B" AND "C"......

(B) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found that the noise was not......."WAS NOT" IS PARRALLEL TO "CONSISTED OF"....BOTH IN SIMPLE PAST TENSE............CORRECT

(C) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to be.......WITH "TO BE" WE SHOULD HAVE USED "CONSISTING OF" ---NOT "CONSISTED OF"......... SINCE "CONSISTED OF" IS NOT UNDERLINED WE CANT CHANGE IT... HENCE " TO BE " IS INCORRECT.....
THE CORRECT SENTENCE WOULD HAVE BEEN.......

By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were slowly stretched out in an otherwise silent chamber, and then digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to becontinuous but consisting of individual bursts or pops just thousandths of a second long.

HENCE "C" INCORRECT.....
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 453 [0], given: 213

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 11:25
Please someone update the OA.
Correct answer is B

Question is drawn from article at following link.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 399

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 20:48
PiyushK wrote:
Please someone update the OA.
Correct answer is B

Question is drawn from article at following link.

Done :)
Changed the OA to B

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 56

Re: By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 05:00
I agree with B.

found thatthe noise was not continuous but consisted
the noise not to be continuous but (to be) consisting of. however the non-underlined portion has "consisted".

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Re: By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2014, 05:00