Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [13]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Send PM
Re: By regarding the expanding universe as a motion picture, you can [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

2. According to the passage, which of the following statements is NOT true?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

Review the gist of the passage and keep the author‘s main points in mind while evaluating the choices. Three of the choices match points the author makes, but (B) directly contradicts the time frames mentioned in Para 2, which indicate that the solar system is much younger than the universe itself. Note that your research for question 4 helps you here.

(A): Opposite. This is stated in Para 4.

(B): The correct answer

(C): Opposite. This is just another way of saying that the universe is expanding.

(D): Opposite. This is a main point of the first part of Par 4.

(E): Opposite. This is stated in Para 2

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: By regarding the expanding universe as a motion picture, you can [#permalink]
hey i am stuck with question no. 3 . it would be great if someone can explain it to me
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
bansalsimona wrote:
hey i am stuck with question no. 3 . it would be great if someone can explain it to me

Official Explanation

3. Why does the author compare the universe to a motion picture?

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

Go back to the comparison to a motion picture described in para 1. What is the author‘s purpose in the first paragraph? To argue that the universe had a beginning in time. The comparison is used to reinforce this point: (A) reflects this.

(A): The correct answer

(B): Out of Scope. The author never makes this argument.

(C): Out of Scope. This point isn‘t made either.

(D): Out of Scope. The author doesn‘t argue that this must be true, but rather that it‘s a point of debate.

(E): Out of Scope. The author never makes this argument.

Answer: A

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
can anyone please explain question 1? according to me it should be B .
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
sunny020 wrote:
can anyone please explain question 1? according to me it should be B .

Passage Map

Topic and Scope

The author describes the evolution of the universe and its impact on old debates concerning time and creation.

Mapping the Passage

Para 1 argues that the universe had a beginning in time.
Para 2 provides specific dates to put the universe‘s age in context.
Para 3 describes the Big Bang and its relevance to the idea of an expanding universe.
Para 4 argues that the expanding universe has significant implications for cultural ideas of time and argues that science intersects with philosophy in this area.
Para 5 provides a metaphor that elucidates the nature of the universe‘s expansion.

Strategy Point:

Try to visualize abstract processes that are described in passages; it’s a useful way to “paraphrase” what’s happening and to avoid getting lost in the passage.

Official Explanation

1. In the context of the passage, the phrase "age-old debate" (Highlighted) refers to:

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

What is the ―age-old debate discussed at the end of para 4? Read the previous lines for clues: astronomers are involved in a ―theological discussion‖ which involves the idea of a Creator. (A) summarizes this point in Para 4.

(A): The correct answer

(B): Out of Scope. The author notes that the problem of a Creator only arises when linear time is considered, and the phrase ties into the question of a Creator. Therefore, a debate between the two times is outside the scope.

(C): Out of Scope. The disappearance of the dinosaurs is mentioned in para 2 in a discussion of time frames, not the debate referred to in the phrase.

(D): Out of Scope. The author doesn‘t mention any debate about the movement of galaxies.

(E): Outside the scope.

Answer: A

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
u1983 wrote:
brains wrote:
SajjadAhmad, u1983, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, workout, Gnpth

Time 4 min 52 secs. 3/3 Correct

However i was little skeptical in Question no 2 which was as follows
2. According to the passage, which of the following statements is NOT true?

A. Many people believe that a rational impetus created the universe.
B. The solar system was created immediately after the Big Bang.
C. The universe is larger today than it was in the past.
D. Different societies measure time differently.
E. Most cosmologists believe the universe to be 10 to 20 billion years old

I know that option B was not correct, however i could not find option E also to be mentioned in the passage anywhere. Can experts shed some light in this question.

Paragraph 02 Sentence 01 - may provide you some idea.

Thanks. I see it now. It was the time factor that always pushes me look through the options in a fast manner rather than looking carefully. For long passage its difficult to get back to passage and find the exact line for the details. I wonder if any of you guys have strategy for that as well
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
Q3 is interesting, if it followed cyclic time, then the universe must have existed prior as well. But the author says definitively that it did not. Hence he is illustrating the linear fashion of time.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts