Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 09:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:28) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new town hall so large that only St. Peter's in Rome, the escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice could rival it for scale or magnificence.

A) could rival it for
B) were the rivals of it in their
C) were its rival as to
D) could be its rivals in their
E) were rivaling its
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5253
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 10:08
(A) for four reasons.

1. Rival for... is idiomatic.
2. Could correctly demonstrates the proper modal of possibility.
3. Active voice.
4. Most concise.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 10:11
As always, very good explanation MATT :) Thanks!
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2772
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 12:41
GMATT73 wrote:
(A) for four reasons.

1. Rival for... is idiomatic.
2. Could correctly demonstrates the proper modal of possibility.
3. Active voice.
4. Most concise.


Yes. I simply replaced rival with fight.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 649
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 12:19
bmwhype2 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
(A) for four reasons.

1. Rival for... is idiomatic.
2. Could correctly demonstrates the proper modal of possibility.
3. Active voice.
4. Most concise.


Yes. I simply replaced rival with fight.


193. Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.
(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of

Just to let people know that the OA is (D), which means "rival of" must also be idiomatic
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Posts: 573
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 14:54
eyunni wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
(A) for four reasons.

1. Rival for... is idiomatic.
2. Could correctly demonstrates the proper modal of possibility.
3. Active voice.
4. Most concise.


Yes. I simply replaced rival with fight.


193. Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.
(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of

Just to let people know that the OA is (D), which means "rival of" must also be idiomatic


in D, is there subject-verb agreement?
....that make his letters as a group the rival of...may be it is 'made'?
That will make the sentence in past tense like the 1st part....?
  [#permalink] 31 Aug 2007, 14:54
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new nitinneha 2 10 Apr 2007, 14:30
2 By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new Notmykind 7 25 Mar 2007, 08:45
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new Futuristic 5 24 Aug 2006, 10:49
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new ashkg 0 16 Jun 2005, 16:20
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new Paul 11 22 Sep 2004, 11:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.