Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 335

By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 23:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

52% (01:48) correct 48% (00:41) wrong based on 8 sessions
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new town hall so large that only St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice could rival it for scale or magnificence.
(A) could rival it for
(B) were the rivals of it in their
(C) were its rival as to
(D) could be its rivals in their
(E) were rivaling its

Please Explain Y Could is required !

One Final Try.......

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: SC 182 Amsterdam St. Peter’s in Rome [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 19:10
RaviChandra wrote:
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new town hall so large that only St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice could rival it for scale or magnificence.
(A) could rival it for
(C) were its rival as to
(E) were rivaling its

IMO A.

Could sounds better -- not sure of the official explanation!

kudos +1 ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 182 Amsterdam St. Peter’s in Rome [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 06:57
RaviChandra wrote:
(A) could rival it for
(C) were its rival as to
(E) were rivaling its

rival is a verb here. So A is absolutely fine.

Cheers,
SD

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 333

Kudos [?]: 717 [2] , given: 11

Re: SC 182 Amsterdam St. Peter’s in Rome [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Seems like people are clear on the answer here, and for what it's worth, it's pretty much an idiom issue.

(A) could rival it for
ANSWER

PROBLEM: The idiom is "X rivals Y". It's wordy and unclear to say "X is the rival of Y", because typically that would signify some kind of animosity or active competition. The idiom "X rivals Y" just means that X was as impressive as Y (or awful, or wonderful...whatever adjective you prefer). Also, using the possessive pronoun is weird, because it isn't really THEIR scale and magnificence, but the general concepts of scale and magnificence.

(C) were its rival as to
PROBLEM: Same B, but without the pronoun issue.

PROBLEM: Same as B. "Could be its rivals" is no better than "were the rivals".

(E) were rivaling its
PROBLEM: Same As B, though the possessive pronoun is singular now instead of plural.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 182 Amsterdam St. Peter’s in Rome [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 12:50
As per one of the posts in the manhattan forum:

about Rival sb in/for some acpect:
i have search in Longman, there are some sentence can support Rival sb in XX, which is also listed as a idiom.
1#The weathermen said the storm had rivalled summer hurricanes in its intensity.
2#The prince built a vast palace, rivalling Versailles in size and opulence.

Unfortunately, i can't find material that can support Rival sb for XX, except when Rival is used as Noun.
Stephen is Ron's rival for the job---Stenpen and Ron both need job, so we use 'for'.

i don't know what's wrong with D, which is really like 1# above. although i try several dictionnary, i can't find the usage of "rival [Vt] for". SO:
1# is A really better than--or just shorter than-- D?
2# are there some dictionaries that deserve recommendation for listing lots of idiom tested by GMAT?

Please can the gurus advise on this...
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC 182 Amsterdam St. Peter’s in Rome [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 12:58
If you want to pick D then after their you need to use plural forms.

kumargverma wrote:

i have search in Longman, there are some sentence can support Rival sb in XX, which is also listed as a idiom.
1#The weathermen said the storm had rivalled summer hurricanes in its intensity.

Unfortunately, i can't find material that can support Rival sb for XX, except when Rival is used as Noun.
Stephen is Ron's rival for the job---Stenpen and Ron both need job, so we use 'for'.

i don't know what's wrong with D, which is really like 1# above. although i try several dictionnary, i can't find the usage of "rival [Vt] for". SO:
2# are there some dictionaries that deserve recommendation for listing lots of idiom tested by GMAT?

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 182 Amsterdam St. Peter’s in Rome [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 15:02
babyif19 wrote:
If you want to pick D then after their you need to use plural forms.

kumargverma wrote:

D is wrong because of the usage of THEIR. I think D would be fine is its like

By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new town hall so large that only St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice could be its rivals in scale or magnificence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: SC 182 Amsterdam St. Peter’s in Rome [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 01:04
would go with A...Sounds correct and better than the other choices!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 21:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2014, 21:28