Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 10:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:11) correct 50% (00:33) wrong based on 17 sessions
By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them disease- or pest-resistant, researchers have been able to increase the amount of protein in potatoes, sweet potatoes, and tobacco.

A. By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them
B. With the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, so that they are
C. Employing the same techniques used to genetically enhance plants so that they are
D. Employing the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, which makes them
E. Employing the same techniques for genetically enhancing plants that make them
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 6

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 11:18
i would pick (C)

A. By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them - awkward
B. With the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, so that they are - awkward
C. Employing the same techniques used to genetically enhance plants so that they are - correct
D. Employing the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, which makes them - which refers to plant
E. Employing the same techniques for genetically enhancing plants that make them - appears like plant make them disease or pest resistant
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 40

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 03:51
Even I thought C, but I think this question is wrong. to genetically enhance is a split infinitive error in B, C and D.

So, b/w A and E, E remains.

seekmba wrote:
i would pick (C)

A. By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them - awkward
B. With the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, so that they are - awkward
C. Employing the same techniques used to genetically enhance plants so that they are - correct
D. Employing the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, which makes them - which refers to plant
E. Employing the same techniques for genetically enhancing plants that make them - appears like plant make them disease or pest resistant

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 08:56
ykaiim wrote:
Even I thought C, but I think this question is wrong. to genetically enhance is a split infinitive error in B, C and D.

So, b/w A and E, E remains.

seekmba wrote:
i would pick (C)

please explain what is a split infinitive error ??

I will go with C . Yes which refers to plants and I do not see a problem in this. So of I ignore the middleman "which makes them.disease- or pest-resistant..." I get a complete sentence .
thnx

thxn
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 40

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 09:09
Split infinitive error >>>> to + adverb + verb
For example - to genetically enhance

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 18:32
ykaiim wrote:
Split infinitive error >>>> to + adverb + verb
For example - to genetically enhance

thanx
making the discussion complete for readers ..
what is a split infinitive error ?

An infinitive verb form with an element, usually an adverb, interposed between to and the verb form, as in to boldly go.
Usage Note: The split infinitive has been present in English ever since the 14th century, but it was not until the 19th century that grammarians labeled and condemned the usage. The only rationale for condemning the construction is based on a false analogy with Latin. The thinking is that because the Latin infinitive is a single word, the equivalent English construction should be treated as if it were a single unit. But English is not Latin, and distinguished writers have split infinitives without giving it a thought. Noteworthy splitters include John Donne, Daniel Defoe, George Eliot, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, William Wordsworth, and Willa Cather. Still, those who dislike the construction can usually avoid it without difficulty. The sense of the sentence To better understand the miners' plight, he went to live in their district is just as easily expressed by To understand the miners' plight better, he went to live in their district. However, one must take care not to ruin the rhythm of the sentence or create an unintended meaning by displacing an adverb. · When choosing to retain split infinitives, one should be wary of constructions that have more than one word between to and the verb. The Usage Panel is evenly divided on the one-adverb split infinitive. Fifty percent accept it in the sentence The move allowed the company to legally pay the employees severance payments that in some cases exceeded $30,000. But only 23 percent of the panel accepts the split infinitive in the sentence We are seeking a plan to gradually, systematically, and economically relieve the burden. In some contexts, the split infinitive is unavoidable, as in the sentence We expect our output to more than double in a year. · Excessive zeal in avoiding the split infinitive may result in an awkward placement of adverbs in constructions involving the auxiliary verbs be and have. Infinitive phrases in which the adverb precedes a participle, such as to be rapidly rising, to be clearly understood, and to have been ruefully mistaken, are not split and should be acceptable to everybody. By the same token, there are no grounds for objecting to the position of the adverb in the sentence He is committed to laboriously assembling all of the facts of the case. What is "split" here is not an infinitive but a prepositional phrase.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 20:34
Between C and E.
IMO E.

In C, /Employing the same techniques used to genetically enhance plants so that they are/
can someone explain what does 'they' refer to?techniques or plants ?
i eliminated C as they refers to techniques here
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 07:06
ramana wrote:
Between C and E.
IMO E.

In C, /Employing the same techniques used to genetically enhance plants so that they are/
can someone explain what does 'they' refer to?techniques or plants ?
i eliminated C as they refers to techniques here

they clearly refers to plants, at least as per my understanding

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 07:12
Between C and E. Leaning towards C.
3 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 106 [3] , given: 2

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The correct answer is certainly choice C.

Choice E changes the meaning. With "for" it sounds as though we are using some kind of techniques on genetically enhanced plants; but not necessarily the techniques that caused those genetic enhancements in the first place. That is, it sounds like this: "by using techniques for [this type of plant]".

Choice D also changes the meaning. We need the "used to".

There is no split infinitive error in choice C:

The ninja used his speed TO SWIFTLY KICK his opponent.
Company X used a tax schme TO SUSPICIOUSLY EVADE debts.
Sara used the OG TO QUICKLY LEARN the CR question types.

Kaplan Teacher in Toronto
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 36

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 23:20
Hi Testluv
Sorry I didn;t get the subtle difference between "used to" and just "to". Whats the difference

thanks

Please press kudos if you like my post.

3 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 106 [3] , given: 2

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
nusmavrik wrote:
Hi Testluv
Sorry I didn;t get the subtle difference between "used to" and just "to". Whats the difference

thanks

In the original sentence, it is clear that today's researchers are employing previously used techniques. Without the "used", in choice D, there isn't any relationship between the first action and the second.

Kaplan Teacher in Toronto
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 36

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 23:44
Thanks :o that really helped. I should have compared my option with original sentence.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Genetically enhancing plants [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 02:06
so split infinitives are therefore sometimes acceptable?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 280

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 23:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 210

Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 01:27
Why "so that they are" is correct in option C ?

use of are reflects present condition and efforts are being employed by scientist to achieve some future state.

I am not sure such usage is fine in C.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 01:27