Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bye bye MS Finance people, and good luck

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Bye bye MS Finance people, and good luck [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 23:26
After going through the whole process of researching schools/ GMAT/ recommendation letters/ applying/ getting admitted :)
I made it to my two number 1 choices (LSE 'london' and HEC 'paris')

The process is really hard, there is barely any information circulating on forums etc... So all I can say is to all the people who will go down that path, RESEARCH HARD! Because you are on your own.
I'll be doing the MSc in Finance and Accounting at LSE and I am hoping to go work at a BB firm in M&A in the city afterwards.

I will probably come back on this forum, but in two years when I will be taking my GMAT again to get into an MBA or PhD program :)

I had a dream, it involved me getting 510 on my GMAT...

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bye bye MS Finance people, and good luck [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 06:28
Hi Disjoint,

I am interested in a Masters in Finance as well. Would you please share some insight into the whole process ? I would be particularly interested to know :
- Your profile
- Your school selection (and the reasoning behind it)
- The advantages of pursuing an MFin instead of an MBA

regards.

Disjoint wrote:
After going through the whole process of researching schools/ GMAT/ recommendation letters/ applying/ getting admitted :)
I made it to my two number 1 choices (LSE 'london' and HEC 'paris')

The process is really hard, there is barely any information circulating on forums etc... So all I can say is to all the people who will go down that path, RESEARCH HARD! Because you are on your own.
I'll be doing the MSc in Finance and Accounting at LSE and I am hoping to go work at a BB firm in M&A in the city afterwards.

I will probably come back on this forum, but in two years when I will be taking my GMAT again to get into an MBA or PhD program :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Cass? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 12:27
Did you consider Cass for their MSc in Finance and/or Investment Management?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 06:40
Hi Trader1,

I am only looking at American schools, the ones that interested me were :
- MFin at Princeton
- MFE at Haas
- MSCF at Carnegie Mellon

I have heard that LBS and Cass have pretty good programs in the UK.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Oye [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 13:19
Sorry for the late reply.
I finished my BA in 3 years, and figured that instead of trying to get into i-banking after a non-target school I should just follow the regular route of going to a target university.

So I chose my Masters program based on what type of job I could land. I also wanted to work in the city, so a European master would give me more chance of getting there. I accepted LSE's offer mainly because they have probably the best placement for I-banking in London.

My profile has nothing special, apart from the fact that I am rather international. The programs you are applying to are more geared towards engineering jobs in i-banks. THe only US school I applied to is the Haas one (I didn't get in though, I have no work experience and no real math background)

Best of luck to you!

I had a dream, it involved me getting 510 on my GMAT...

Oye   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2007, 13:19