Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2015, 08:30
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1740
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2005, 12:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
14. Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.
(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of
_________________

hey ya......

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1891
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

Re: SC # Byron [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2005, 20:58
nakib77 wrote:
14. Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.
(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of


powers.....make....
Go for D coz it is more concise.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1740
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2005, 08:56
OA is indeed D. good job.
_________________

hey ya......

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2005
Posts: 101
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 06:10
Did u miss something---structure is" make someone+something"
If i have time, i will explain later. Now just guess what i try to explain.

14. Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.
(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Posts: 87
Location: Valsad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 06:56
ong wrote:
Did u miss something---structure is" make someone+something"
If i have time, i will explain later. Now just guess what i try to explain.

14. Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.
(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of


I do agree with Ong. Moreover, "makes " is the correct verb becuase the subject implied is "the fact that" Byron possessed powers of observations. So C should be appropriate.
_________________

Mayur

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1706
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 10:05
Hello Guys,

This is old one, already discussed...I have a doubt, please help.

Shouldn't the verb be 'makes' here?
I thought, because of the restrictive clause 'that', it refers to 'observation' & not 'powers', the nearest preceeding noun! :?:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 10:14
vivek123 wrote:
Hello Guys,

This is old one, already discussed...I have a doubt, please help.

Shouldn't the verb be 'makes' here?
I thought, because of the restrictive clause 'that', it refers to 'observation' & not 'powers', the nearest preceeding noun! :?:


Vivek> powers is plural, so the correct S-V agreement must be make...
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1706
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 10:34
GMATT73 wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Hello Guys,

This is old one, already discussed...I have a doubt, please help.

Shouldn't the verb be 'makes' here?
I thought, because of the restrictive clause 'that', it refers to 'observation' & not 'powers', the nearest preceeding noun! :?:


Vivek> powers is plural, so the correct S-V agreement must be make...


MATT, my point is...

"Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time"

Restrictive clause 'that' in above sentence should refer to 'observation', which is singular & not to 'powers'. So, the subject of the sentence is singular (observation).

Is it not? Am I missing something?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 20:57
vivek123 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Hello Guys,

This is old one, already discussed...I have a doubt, please help.

Shouldn't the verb be 'makes' here?
I thought, because of the restrictive clause 'that', it refers to 'observation' & not 'powers', the nearest preceeding noun! :?:


Vivek> powers is plural, so the correct S-V agreement must be make...


MATT, my point is...

"Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time"

Restrictive clause 'that' in above sentence should refer to 'observation', which is singular & not to 'powers'. So, the subject of the sentence is singular (observation).

Is it not? Am I missing something?


Sorry Vivek, I didn`t address your point clearly :wink:

....<plural noun> of <singular noun> .... construction is always stated in the plural tense. This is an all time favorite GMAT trap.

Example:

Songs of Christmas (that bring joy to the season) are often sung by carolers.

The restrictive clause that has no bearing on the S-V agreement.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1706
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 20:59
Please feel free to discuss !
I'm confused over this :cry:

I saw one more SC, where 'that' is used in the way I mentioned above!
Here it is: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=22885
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1706
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 21:02
GMATT73 wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Hello Guys,

This is old one, already discussed...I have a doubt, please help.

Shouldn't the verb be 'makes' here?
I thought, because of the restrictive clause 'that', it refers to 'observation' & not 'powers', the nearest preceeding noun! :?:


Vivek> powers is plural, so the correct S-V agreement must be make...


MATT, my point is...

"Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time"

Restrictive clause 'that' in above sentence should refer to 'observation', which is singular & not to 'powers'. So, the subject of the sentence is singular (observation).

Is it not? Am I missing something?


Sorry Vivek, I didn`t address your point clearly :wink:

....<plural noun> of <singular noun> .... construction is always stated in the plural tense. This is an all time favorite GMAT trap.

Example:

Songs of Christmas (that bring joy to the season) are often sung by carolers.

The restrictive clause that has no bearing on the S-V agreement.


Oops, I posted another while you were postiong this I guess :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 199
Location: New York
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2006, 13:45
I just came across this one again. I still don't think the answer is D.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2910
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2006, 15:19
celiaXDN wrote:
I just came across this one again. I still don't think the answer is D.


This must be between D and E. I think D.

"which" is always preceded by a comma. E is missing that comma. Also "which" in E is modifying "group" instead of "his letters".
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 586
Location: Chicago
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2006, 17:58
Its a clear D...
Only D and E have "make" but E has a "which" and that too without comma;)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 925
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2006, 20:05
Whats wrong with A? I think A is right as it is.......
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2910
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2006, 22:59
No OA for a long time. Seems that Nakib is busy with his apps.

I just got this one in the SC1000. Its question number 193. OA is D
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC # Byron [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2006, 15:35
nakib77 wrote:
14. Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.
(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of


Answer is D. "make" is in reference to "powers" and "as a group" is better than the wordy "a group which is".
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 634
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2006, 08:48
flower wrote:
is make in D right?



Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that make his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.

"that" means "which" here, they are parallel and "powers" need a plural verb.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1731
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: SC # Byron [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2006, 18:31
nakib77 wrote:
14. Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.
(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of


nice to see old posts. old days are always gold. :cool
Re: SC # Byron   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2006, 18:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made tarek99 6 07 Jan 2008, 07:30
Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made sidbidus 13 04 Jul 2007, 08:18
14 Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made arjsingh1976 17 07 Nov 2006, 08:21
Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made Futuristic 4 24 Aug 2006, 10:48
Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made itishaj 8 20 Apr 2006, 10:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.