Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 15:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

56% (01:33) correct 44% (01:03) wrong based on 23 sessions
Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.
(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 369 [7] , given: 0

Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 02:41
This post received
KUDOS
A quick tip from Sarai at GMAX:

"Which" is relative pronoun that introduces a descriptive relative clause-- additional, dispensable information. So remember the following rule:

"Which" must be preceded by a comma!

So you can eliminate E.

For example:

Frogs that are green eat flies. The information in the relative clause is important-- it tells you what kind of frogs eat flies.

v.s.

Frogs, which are amphibians, eat insects. The information in the relative clause is not important, as all frogs are amphibians.

If this helped, kindly give Kudos.

To see more on this topic, check out the SC Lesson III on Pronouns at gmaxonline.

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 325

Kudos [?]: 695 [2] , given: 11

Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Tons of great conversation on this, and Sarai's point is well made. But let's just take one total look at it from top to bottom.

Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.

We should notice right away that the split "makes/make" creates a subject-verb agreement split. From there, it's about modifiers.

PROBLEM: To check subject verb, we have to notice the parallelism marker "and". "that makes" wants to match with "that would have made". The subject of both is the same, "powers of observation", which is plural. We need a plural verb, so no "s".

PROBLEM: Same as above.The modifier here is probably fine.

PROBLEM: Same as above. The modifier here would probably we fine.

ANSWER: Correct subject-verb agreement. Now the modifier. What we have here is "letters" modified by the prepositional phrase "as a group", which is being compared to "the best novels of the time". Are "letters" comparable with "the best novels"? Yes.

PROBLEM: Correct subject-verb agreement. Sarai's point is great, which is that you cannot use "which" without a comma. However, it's still iffy, because we end up comparing "a group" to "the best novels", which is no good.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 15:34
I pick B.

Makes (singular) should be used with Powers of observation

Letters are rivaling novels and not Byron's observation. The use of "one to rival" shows this.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 17:11
Since the first part of the sentence uses have => the powers of observation is plural hence make should be used and not makes.

Between D and E will go with E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 18:08
Actually I was wrong, C is the best response. There is no need to use "as."
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 21:41
ssandeepan wrote:

Subject is Powers of observation -- which is plural

A,B,C out

between D and E.

D looks better.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 21:46
grepro wrote:
Since the first part of the sentence uses have => the powers of observation is plural hence make should be used and not makes.

Between D and E will go with E

Grepro..
Careful!!! Here "have" doesn't mean subject is plural when it comes with "would"

e.g she would have made it. (singular subject)
they would have made it. (plural subject0

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 23:04
ssandeepan wrote:

we need a noun after letters..

that makes his letters XXXX

XXXX = noun..

"a group" and not "as a group" is a noun.

only C and E remain.

rival of is wrong. C is the right choice..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2008, 11:04
I'd pick D. Here is why:

Now, if we ignore the text in red, we would get the sentence to look like this:
Byron possessed powers of observation that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.

Here "powers of observation" being a plural, we have to look for a choice that comes with a singular verb (Make), which is found in Choice D.

Now if we apply choice D, the sentence would read fine:
Byron possessed powers of observation that make his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.

I invite the grammar gurus have to validate this approach I took. BTW, what's the OA??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2008, 20:59
OA is D.
Ok guys, i have a question , if the choice E were like this
make his letters a group that is the rival of
what will you choose D or E ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 07:12
sanjay_gmat wrote:
ssandeepan wrote:

we need a noun after letters..

that makes his letters XXXX

XXXX = noun..

"a group" and not "as a group" is a noun.

only C and E remain.

rival of is wrong. C is the right choice..

In D..... powers make his letters (as a group) the rival of...

XXX= the rival

Cheers,
SD

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 6

Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 06:56
I chose A because I thought that since the sentence is "powers of observation that....."...the subject is "observation"....which is singular and so we need singular verb...

I have read somewhere that whenever a sentence has the word 'that' followed by a subject we should use that subject to find the matching verb.

line in this case.....

"powers of observation that" - "observation" is singular

Can someone please help me on this????....i'm sure i am missing something here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 09:21
seekmba wrote:
I chose A because I thought that since the sentence is "powers of observation that....."...the subject is "observation"....which is singular and so we need singular verb...

I have read somewhere that whenever a sentence has the word 'that' followed by a subject we should use that subject to find the matching verb.

line in this case.....

"powers of observation that" - "observation" is singular

Can someone please help me on this????....i'm sure i am missing something here.

powers of observation is plural. observation of powers (say for example) will be singular.

Cheers,
SD

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 10:35
There are 2 things -

1. Powers of observation ___ ('make' fits here with the plural 'powers') (A,B,C ruled out)
2. Make the letters ___ a rival group (Now 'as' cannot be used with 'make' in this context ) (for eg - We DO NOT say - The scheme can make you as a millionare , it is always - The scheme can make you a millionare .

taking into account the above the answer is (E) .

Don't mould your reasons to fit into the answers given . They are'nt official answers , mind you .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 18:23
ssandeepan wrote:

"As a group"- means "put togetther as a single unit" similar to "We will win a championship as a team". It would be more clear if "as a group, was separated by the commas and I believe it should be separated by commas. The logical point here is that powers made a "rival," not a "group".

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Re: Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 21:46
ssandeepan wrote:

What does that just before the underline part refers to ?
I think it refers to "powers of observation" -> plural. A,B and C are out. Between D and E, D is correct as 'as' has the proper usage here.
Re: Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2013, 21:46