Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BYU Marriott 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: BYU (A)
GMAT Date: 03-07-2012
GPA: 3.5
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: BYU Marriott 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 23:42
Hey everyone, nice seeing so many BYU applicants on this forum. I submitted my application early April and received an invitation to interview a couple of days ago. Set it up for on-campus for May 18th. So where is all of this "they accept most of the people they interview" information coming from? My interview is with Dr. Craig Merrill. Anybody know anything about him? I've done a bit of research and he's one of the finance professors (I applied to the finance program).

Congrats to those of you who have been admitted. I hope to see you this fall!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: BYU Marriott 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 08:24
4LEX wrote:
4LEX wrote:
richthatcher wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the interview process (potential questions, length of interview, number of interviews, etc.?

I am interview with BYU this coming Tuesday (Jan. 31). I'll be sure to report some insights into their process.

Please forgive the delay in my follow-up report. I had a very unusual interview experience with BYU, so take it for what it is worth:

My FIRST interview, Jan. 31, was with their head of finance depart. Despite my VERY strong background in marketing, and the fact I own my own business (very entrepreneurial minded), I indicated my "Track" as finance, as finance is my weakest link of what I bring to the table. I really wanted to bolster that area. Not a sound idea according to the guy I interviewed with (and for good reason). He couldn't understand why in the world I would want to do such a thing, and I had a very hard time trying to explain my goals/desires during the interview. Let's just say it went horribly. Roughly ~30 minutes. It seemed he didn't have the least bit interest in me.

Fast forward a week, I received an inivitation to attend a formal "campus visit" last Friday, which was a very nice day-long event with many other candidates (most of whom had been accepted or close to being accepted). Not sure how many prospectives were there, maybe 50-60 ?? Anyway, last week i received an invitation to come BACK for a second interview, which was today. Much different experience this time, that is for sure. Met with head of marketing, ~15 min. interview for him to be satisfied that I would declare marketing as my official track, rather than finance, ha. He of course asked the standard questions again, Why BYU, career goals, etc. I was much more prepared this time, went great. So we'll see what happens. He didn't say when exactly I would hear back, but he did mention that I'm basically in, that he would give his full recommendation and that the admin panel would have an answer for me soon.

Like I said, very interesting, unique experience that I had. Take it for what it is worth. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

4lex

HI, did you hear back from them? I have an interview this Tuesday with the Marketing Prof since my focus is Marketing. I know that they'll ask about my short and long term goals and reasons for choosing my focus etc. What other questions were you asked? personality wise? did he ask about your strengths and weaknesses? tricky questions?
Intern
Intern

Re: BYU Marriott 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 07:06
Had my interview on 5/18. Went ok I thought. Received an email 5/22 telling me I was admitted. WOOHOO!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: BYU Marriott 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 21:53
I got 650 just today.. Should I retake if I want to be admitted at byu or should I just try with this score first and apply.. Any advise

Impossible is nothing to God.

Intern
Intern

Re: BYU Marriott 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 22:06
mbaiseasy wrote:
I got 650 just today.. Should I retake if I want to be admitted at byu or should I just try with this score first and apply.. Any advise

650 isn't terrible but it won't stand out since it's below the average for BYU. If you think you can and will do better, go for it. If not, just go ahead and apply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: BYU Marriott 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 23:36
Hi. I hope this post helps those with not too stellar GMAT. I have a GPA of 3.23 and a GMAT of 650. It's not a standout statistic but I squeezed my life experiences and write my heart out in my essays. I poured my soul into my story and unexpectedly bagged a scholarship. My two cents - the admissions committee will look into your application as a whole package and I feel your STORY will play a big part on your fit to the institution.

Impossible is nothing to God.

Re: BYU Marriott 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2013, 23:36