Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BYU vs Wisconsin

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

BYU vs Wisconsin [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 21:09
I have been admitted to both BYU and Wisconsin and am going back and forth. I'm going to study marketing and would like to work for a CPG company after graduation. Wisconsin is more tied in to this industry, but I think BYU can get me where I want to go. It might just take a little more leg work on my end.

Here are the details:

BYU Tuition: $11,000 per year (received half tuition scholarship for each year)
Close to family, did my undergrad there, live near campus currently

Wisconsin Tuition: $31,000 per year (received full-tuition scholarship plus $10,000 stipend for my first year)
Easier path to the job I want.

Average salary/bonus stats are pretty similar.

Given the two options what would you choose?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: BYU vs Wisconsin [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
ballen wrote:
I have been admitted to both BYU and Wisconsin and am going back and forth. I'm going to study marketing and would like to work for a CPG company after graduation. Wisconsin is more tied in to this industry, but I think BYU can get me where I want to go. It might just take a little more leg work on my end.

Here are the details:

BYU Tuition: $11,000 per year (received half tuition scholarship for each year)
Close to family, did my undergrad there, live near campus currently

Wisconsin Tuition: $31,000 per year (received full-tuition scholarship plus $10,000 stipend for my first year)
Easier path to the job I want.

Average salary/bonus stats are pretty similar.

Given the two options what would you choose?

Sorry I can't comment too much on madisons b-school itself as I never really looked into it. But I'll still give you my thoughts since I went to BYU undergrad and I live in Wi, near madison at the moment so I'm fairly familiar with both schools.

My opinion is that the stipend/full scholarship at Wi is nice, but at the same time 6k tuition per year at BYU is not much anyway. In this case, I'd say that you should really consider where you want to live after school. I know madison places mostly in wisconsin and the upper midwest, whereas BYU places in the intermountain west, and west coast. So if I were you I'd make the decision based on that.

Madison is a fun little city, with a lot of energy. But its about as different from Provo as you can get. Madison is VERY liberal and Provo is very conservative, different culture for sure. The weather is brutal here too. Much worse than Utah. But there is a lot to do in Madison, there are good restaurants, a lot of outdoors stuff, and the city is very beautiful because it is wedged between the two lakes. Provo is pretty as well, but in a different way, it has the mountains on one side and Utah lake on the other. Outside of Madison, I'm going to be honest, wisconsin kinda sucks IMO. It's sparse and pretty drab. Milwaukee is pretty rundown, and most of the other towns are small factory towns or farming communities as far as I can tell.

Have you visited the UW madison campus? I like it personally. It's built right into the city of Madison, unlike BYU where the campus is self contained.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about either Provo or Madison and I can give you my thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 23

Re: BYU vs Wisconsin [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 08:07
Hmm interesting they probably both have pretty similar placement, but it would be more about the region.

Though it looks like you've decided on Madison. Congrats.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

Re: BYU vs Wisconsin [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 16:54
Sorry for being late to the party but I think you made the right choice going with Wisconsin, if that means anything at this point.
Re: BYU vs Wisconsin   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2013, 16:54