Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

C zanne s art inspired the next generation of artists,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 22

C zanne s art inspired the next generation of artists, [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 20:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (02:08) correct 44% (01:30) wrong based on 49 sessions
Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation of artists, twentieth-century modernist creators of abstract art. While most experts rank Cézanne as an early modernist, a small few reject this idea. Françoise Cachin, for example, bluntly states that such an
ascription is “overplayed,” and says that Cézanne’s work is “too often observed from a modern point of view.”
Which one of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?
(A) Cézanne’s work is highly controversial.
(B) Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art.
(C) Cézanne’s work helped to develop modernism.
(D) Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many experts believe.
(E) Cézanne’s work tends to be misinterpreted as modernist.

Pls make sure you pool in your reasoning as well for correct answer.
I know the OA and will provide later..

Also, need to know how good is this argument? And what is the conclusion?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Last edited by joshnsit on 17 Feb 2012, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
I think between B and C I will go with C.

(A) Cézanne’s work is highly controversial.Cannot be as only few reject the idea of his being modernist.
(B) Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art.His art acted as an inspiration but he was not the creator.
(C) Cézanne’s work helped to develop modernism.His art was an inspiration for the creators,therefore he helped develop modernism.
(D) Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many experts believe.Out of scope
(E) Cézanne’s work tends to be misinterpreted as modernist.Out of scope
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 21:24
A. Cézanne’s work is highly controversial. – OUT – the argument is about a point of view as to weather the work is that of a modernist or not.
B. Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art. - OUT – majority of the people believe that Cezanne’s work inspired today’s modern creator’s work, which is supposed to be abstract
C. Cézanne’s work helped to develop modernism - Majority people agree that Cezanne did contribute towards evolution of modern art – hence indeed this is the most strongly supported option based on the information given. Most experts believe that Cézanne himself was a modernist; a few disagree. But no one disputes the following: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation of...modernist creators of abstract art. CORRECT

D. Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many experts believe – Again, this can be interpreted as a minority view - OUT
E. Cézanne’s tends to be misinterpreted as modernist – This is the minority view, not majority - OUT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 00:24
A Must Be True or an Inference type of question. Answer should be C.

(A) Cézanne’s work is highly controversial. (Cezanne's classification may have been controversial not the WORK)
(B) Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art. (NOT MENTIONED IN THE PASSAGE)
(D) Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many experts believe.(NOT MENTIONED IN THE PASSAGE)
(E) Cézanne’s work tends to be misinterpreted as modernist. (NOT MENTIONED IN THE PASSAGE), In fact Cézanne is mentioned as modernist not her WORK.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 04:10
goalset wrote:
I think between B and C I will go with C.

(A) Cézanne’s work is highly controversial.Cannot be as only few reject the idea of his being modernist.
(B) Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art.His art acted as an inspiration but he was not the creator.
(C) Cézanne’s work helped to develop modernism.His art was an inspiration for the creators,therefore he helped develop modernism.
(D) Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many experts believe.Out of scope
(E) Cézanne’s work tends to be misinterpreted as modernist.Out of scope

@goalset and @mourinhogmat1:
How are last two "Out of Scope"? I mean people also think that Modern art has not as much to owe to Cézanne when saying that "says that Cézanne’s work is “too often observed from a modern point of view."

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 04:21
guts wrote:
A. Cézanne’s work is highly controversial. – OUT – the argument is about a point of view as to weather the work is that of a modernist or not.
B. Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art. - OUT – majority of the people believe that Cezanne’s work inspired today’s modern creator’s work, which is supposed to be abstract
C. Cézanne’s work helped to develop modernism - Majority people agree that Cezanne did contribute towards evolution of modern art – hence indeed this is the most strongly supported option based on the information given. Most experts believe that Cézanne himself was a modernist; a few disagree. But no one disputes the following: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation of...modernist creators of abstract art. CORRECT

D. Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many experts believe – Again, this can be interpreted as a minority view - OUT
E. Cézanne’s tends to be misinterpreted as modernist – This is the minority view, not majority - OUT

@guts, I would say C seems promising to me with your explanation.
But, in D, it is many in the choice and "many"(can be any number from 2 to 100) cant be taken for "most"(from 51 to 100 and thus, representing majority), for which D has been rejected here.

Also, would like to know whether "tends" imply/infer a Most or Majority whenever used?

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 10:36
@joshnsit:
I agree with you that there are people who think Cézanne or his work is not modernist, but the key here is, what is the number and is it in majority?
Quote:
While most experts rank Cézanne as an early modernist, a small few reject this idea.

(D) Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many experts believe.As only few believe that he was not modernist and there is absolutely no information given in the argument which may prove that the experts are wrong in their opinion about Cezanne being a modernist therefore the above statement is a claim which cannot be supported.
(E) Cézanne’s work tends to be misinterpreted as modernist.Most experts barring few believe that Cézanne’s work is modernist than from where the question of misinterpretation arises?

Last edited by goalset on 08 Feb 2012, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 17:20
joshnsit wrote:
How are last two "Out of Scope"? I mean people also think that Modern art has not as much to owe to Cézanne when saying that "says that Cézanne’s work is “too often observed from a modern point of view."

Let's look at answer choice E again:

While most experts rank Cézanne as an early modernist, a small few reject this idea. Françoise Cachin, for example, bluntly states that such an ascription is “overplayed,” and says that Cézanne’s work is “too often observed from a modern point of view.”

In Inference styled questions, best way is to stick exactly to the passage.
There is one guy called FC who says that Cez's work is too often observed from a modern point of view. And this one guy who reject this modernist theory is a small portion of the LARGE group (THIS IS THE INFERENCE WAY OF LOOKING AT IT)

A more direct way of looking at it would be:

Does FC say that Cez's work is MISINTERPRETED? NO. He only says they are often observed from a modern point of view.
The word MISINTERPRETED automatically sends out alarm bells????? Misinterpreted as what?? As good or as bad?

Now the FACTS from the passage do not mention what the author's meaning of MISINTERPRETATION is? There is nothing in the stimulus to suggest that observing Cez's work from modern point of view especially in the case of FC is MISINTERPRETATION.

I think the above post has explained answer choice D pretty well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 05:52
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

Let's look at answer choice E again:

While most experts rank Cézanne as an early modernist, a small few reject this idea. Françoise Cachin, for example, bluntly states that such an ascription is “overplayed,” and says that Cézanne’s work is “too often observed from a modern point of view.”

In Inference styled questions, best way is to stick exactly to the passage.
There is one guy called FC who says that Cez's work is too often observed from a modern point of view. And this one guy who reject this modernist theory is a small portion of the LARGE group (THIS IS THE INFERENCE WAY OF LOOKING AT IT)

A more direct way of looking at it would be:

Does FC say that Cez's work is MISINTERPRETED? NO. He only says they are often observed from a modern point of view.
The word MISINTERPRETED automatically sends out alarm bells????? Misinterpreted as what?? As good or as bad?

Now the FACTS from the passage do not mention what the author's meaning of MISINTERPRETATION is? There is nothing in the stimulus to suggest that observing Cez's work from modern point of view especially in the case of FC is MISINTERPRETATION.

I think the above post has explained answer choice D pretty well.

I think I got your as well as Other guys's point that misinterpretation is wrongly used here and "In fact Cézanne is mentioned as modernist not her WORK." to kick E off.

Though I am not convinced about kicking D out because if 1000 experts out of 1000000 experts will not consider Cézanne a modernist, I can say that many experts(1000) are still out there who dont believe in Cézanne being a modernist and thus think that Cézanne didnt contribute much to modern art.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 22:25
+1 C

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Last edited by boomtangboy on 20 Feb 2012, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 02:32
joshnsit wrote:
Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation of artists, twentieth-century modernist creators of abstract art. While most experts rank Cézanne as an early modernist, a small few reject this idea. Françoise Cachin, for example, bluntly states that such an
ascription is “overplayed,” and says that Cézanne’s work is “too often observed from a modern point of view.”
Which one of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?
(A) Cézanne’s work is highly controversial.
(B) Cézanne was an early creator of abstract art.
(D) Modern art owes less to Cézanne than many experts believe.
(E) Cézanne’s work tends to be misinterpreted as modernist.

Pls make sure you pool in your reasoning as well for correct answer.
I know the OA and will provide later..

Also, need to know how good is this argument? And what is the conclusion?

Hi Guys
OA is C. Thx for discussion.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Powerscore Prob: Cézanne’s art inspired the next generation. [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 21:06
+1 for C.A good question .My timing was 2:05

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: C zanne s art inspired the next generation of artists, [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 21:50
What does "overplayed" mean, I understood it as, the artist did not deserve the title, in fact, he did far less to deserve it. And the critics did more than justice in ascribing it to him.
Therefore that's why resolved with D. can anyone tell me why I'm wrong?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: C zanne s art inspired the next generation of artists,   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2013, 21:50