Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cafeteria patron: The apples sold in this cafeteria are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Cafeteria patron: The apples sold in this cafeteria are [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 03:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Cafeteria patron: The apples sold in this cafeteria are greasy. The cashier told me that the apples are in that condition when they are delivered to the cafeteria and that the cafeteria does not wash the apples it sells. Most fruit is sprayed with dangerous pesticides before it is harvested, and is dangerous until it is washed. Clearly, the cafeteria is selling pesticide-covered fruit, thereby endangering its patrons.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) The apples that the cafeteria sells are not thoroughly washed after harvest but before reaching the cafeteria.

(B) Most pesticides that are sprayed on fruit before harvest leave a greasy residue on the fruit.

(C) Many of the cafeteria’s patrons are unaware that the cafeteria does not wash the apples it sells.

(D) Only pesticides that leave a greasy residue on fruit can be washed off.

(E) Fruits other than apples also arrive at the cafeteria in a greasy condition.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 03:31
Will pick A

If the apples are washed after harvest but before reaching the cafeteria, then the grease would not be because of the pesticides (that is also assuming that washing removes the pesticide)
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 21:44
Yes

OA is A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 15:05
how can it be A,,,,A is more of a conclusion than an assumption,,,,,a better conclusion would be B,,,,pls explain if im wrong

i hate when people do'nt post the OA, it leaves in guessing!!!!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 17:44
karun_aggarwal wrote:
how can it be A,,,,A is more of a conclusion than an assumption,,,,,a better conclusion would be B,,,,pls explain if im wrong

The conclusion of the argument is "the cafeteria is selling pesticide-covered fruit, thereby endangering its patrons" an assumption is that which fills the gap between evidence and conclusion

Evidence is: Apples are sprayed with pesticide - and cafeteria does not wash them

The Gap: Apples could be washed anywhere in between the farm and the cafeteria

A fills this gap and hence is the assumption - B is an additional evidence to reach the conclusion
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 19:47
Good one..I didn't get why A was the OA but after I read the 1st post of Vithal I got it. Tricky one...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 19:48
Cafeteria patron:
1) The apples sold in this cafeteria are greasy.
2) The cashier told me that the apples are in that condition when they are delivered to the cafeteria and that the cafeteria does not wash the apples it sells.
3) Most fruit is sprayed with dangerous pesticides before it is harvested, and is dangerous until it is washed.
4) Clearly, the cafeteria is selling pesticide-covered fruit, thereby endangering its patrons. <-- conclusion

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
The assumption should hold up the conclusion. That's the only job of an assumption.

(A) The apples that the cafeteria sells are not thoroughly washed after harvest but before reaching the cafeteria.
- This should be the answer. If the apples were not thoroughly washed before reaching the cafeteria, then it is indeed through that the cafeteria is selling pesticide covered fruits.

(B) Most pesticides that are sprayed on fruit before harvest leave a greasy residue on the fruit.
- Wrong. It focuses on the first premise, and forgets about looking for an evidence that holds up the conclusion.

(C) Many of the cafeteria’s patrons are unaware that the cafeteria does not wash the apples it sells.
- Not important here.

(D) Only pesticides that leave a greasy residue on fruit can be washed off.
- Out of scope

(E) Fruits other than apples also arrive at the cafeteria in a greasy condition
- Out of scope

A it is.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 19:51
Antmavel wrote:
Good one..I didn't get why A was the OA but after I read the 1st post of Vithal I got it. Tricky one...

Antmavel, there was nothing tricky about this CR question, in fact, it's quite straight-forward :-D What you have to remember is the meaning of an assumption in CR.

An assumption is an unstated piece of evidence nesessary for the conclusion to hold. Therefore, if you ever see a CR question requiring you to find an assumption, it is important that you locate the conclusion and find the assumption that holds it up. Hope that helps. :-D
  [#permalink] 27 Mar 2005, 19:51