Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 07:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 718

Kudos [?]: 3280 [2] , given: 938

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (01:35) correct 13% (00:37) wrong based on 205 sessions
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words
(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added
(D) with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it
(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3280 [3] , given: 938

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept tested: Parallelism, Pronouns, SV agreement.
Difficulty level: High
Illustration:The main subjects in the underlined portion are the three language words which need
a plural verb.
This instantly eliminates A and B which contain singular verb.
D uses the “having been construction” which is not applicable here (see tip below)
E uses redundant construction by using “added” after the phrase “in addition”.
C is the correct answer

Tip: The “having been” or “having verb-ed” construction is used to indicate
implications. This can be illustrated with examples.

Having failed in his final exam, John did not get promoted.
Having been ill for a couple of weeks, James could not go attend his music classes.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 1778 [1] , given: 249

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 22:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is an inversed clause. What have been added are words belonging to some languages and hence the subject of the sub-clause is plural; A and B are gone. C is the correct answer using a plural verb - -have been added --. D is wrong because of the redundant use of the pronoun it. Even without the pronoun, the sentence keeps the intent intact. E is gone because of the present tense verb are added gives an inkling of something that is being done routinely. Further - and, in addition – is redundancy

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 11

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 23:30
souvik101990 wrote:
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words - This expresses passive voice, eliminate it.
(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words - very awkward , doesn't really make sense.
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added - this surely makes sense and is better than B ; English, Spanish and Italian words have been added to French language.
(D) with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it - having been added is incorrect.
(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added - This seems to show that the words are added, and are independent of the French language.

You want something, go get it . Period !

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 38

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 00:40
ankit0411 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words - This expresses passive voice, eliminate it.
(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words - very awkward , doesn't really make sense.
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added - this surely makes sense and is better than B ; English, Spanish and Italian words have been added to French language.
(D) with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it - having been added is incorrect.
(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added - This seems to show that the words are added, and are independent of the French language.

u cant eliminate A for passive construction, c is also in passive construction.

A has incorrect use of grammar.
to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 11

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 02:58
This post received
KUDOS
yashii9 wrote:
ankit0411 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

u cant eliminate A for passive construction, c is also in passive construction.

A has incorrect use of grammar.
to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words

Yes your right, thanks for correcting. it should use HAVE and not HAS . SVA error :)

You want something, go get it . Period !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 05:51
'words' is plural and hence needs 'have' to go with it . Option C is the only one which uses 'have' and maintains the structure of the original sentence .
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3280 [0], given: 938

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 03:10
Expert's post
Concept tested: Parallelism, Pronouns, SV agreement.
Difficulty level: High
Illustration:The main subjects in the underlined portion are the three language words which need
a plural verb.
This instantly eliminates A and B which contain singular verb.
D uses the “having been construction” which is not applicable here (see tip below)
E uses redundant construction by using “added” after the phrase “in addition”.
C is the correct answer

Tip: The “having been” or “having verb-ed” construction is used to indicate
implications. This can be illustrated with examples.

Having failed in his final exam, John did not get promoted.
Having been ill for a couple of weeks, James could not go attend his music classes.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 07:26
I have a query why is "seventeenth-century French" not the subject here?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 10

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Rahul - Subject in a sentence is person, place or thing that is doing something while object is the one on which the action is being taken.
The easiest way to identify the subject is to first identify the verb and then see who or what is working on the verb and you will get your answer.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you are still not clear.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 11:06
there would be a general confusion here while marking the answer choice if one were to abide by the "be is unacceptable on the GMAT" thing..
great question though.. :)

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 20:24
IndianExpress wrote:
Rahul - Subject in a sentence is person, place or thing that is doing something while object is the one on which the action is being taken.
The easiest way to identify the subject is to first identify the verb and then see who or what is working on the verb and you will get your answer.

Thanks for the reply. Please find my way of thinking below and why I thought that the subject is singular and should be followed by "has". Please let me know where I went wrong.

Blue = Subject and Red = Verb below
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians
who migrated there in 1755;
their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

So from above language is singular above and should be followed by has isnt it?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 180 [1] , given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 20:33
This post received
KUDOS
rahulsn84 wrote:
IndianExpress wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Please find my way of thinking below and why I thought that the subject is singular and should be followed by "has". Please let me know where I went wrong.

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians
their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

We have an additional SV pair in the last clause (as per ur break down analysis). U need to break that and correct it.

So in the last clause Subject is plural and verb should be have.
Hope it helps

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 20:54
SOURH7WK wrote:
rahulsn84 wrote:
IndianExpress wrote:

We have an additional SV pair in the last clause (as per ur break down analysis). U need to break that and correct it.

So in the last clause Subject is plural and verb should be have.
Hope it helps

Yes I was careless to miss the last subordinate clause. Thanks for the correction,it makes sense now.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 84

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 21:34
A is incorrect because of the verb does not agree with the subject in number – “has been” with the plural “English, Spanish and Italian words”
B is incorrect because “added to” does not fit here.
D- usage of “Having been” is not needed
E- changes the overall meaning and the verb tense.
C is the right answer.

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 00:42
souvik101990 wrote:

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words ( Has been added / redundant /complicated /eliminated)

(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words ( added to which is / is singular/ unclear /eliminated)

(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added ( correct)

(D) with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it ( having been / tense stupid/ eliminate)

( and , in addition , meaning changed/ eliminate)

I follow POE . I look at options and eliminate . Not so good at grammar to give lengthy explanations.

DARK KNIGHT

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 06:53
+1 for C.

Thanks guys for clearing the subject issue here, I also had a small doubt though chose C only.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 23:04

Is the use of which correct in all the above options? If yes then what is which referring to?
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 67

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 11:40
daagh wrote:
This is an inversed clause. What have been added are words belonging to some languages and hence the subject of the sub-clause is plural; A and B are gone. C is the correct answer using a plural verb - -have been added --. D is wrong because of the redundant use of the pronoun it. Even without the pronoun, the sentence keeps the intent intact. E is gone because of the present tense verb are added gives an inkling of something that is being done routinely. Further - and, in addition – is redundancy

Exxcellent explanation i would just add one more error in E i.e. In addition to X,y and z shouls have singular verb not plural
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1326

Kudos [?]: 3796 [0], given: 192

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 19:49
Expert's post
maddyboiler wrote:

Is the use of which correct in all the above options? If yes then what is which referring to?

Hi there,

The relative pronoun "which" correctly refers to "seventeenth-century" French as this is the closest noun to this relative pronoun modifier. It is French to which many words from different languages have been added. Hence, there is no ambiguity in the reference of "which".

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2012, 19:49