Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Subject Verb Agreementx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3066 [96]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [48]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the 4,000 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
eyunni wrote:
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the 4,000 Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish, and Italian words.

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish, and Italian words
(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added
(D) with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it
(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that Cajun is basically seventeenth-century French to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Tenses + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the singular verb “has been added” to refer to the plural noun “words”.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the singular verb “is” to refer to the plural noun “words”. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the past participle ("added" in this case) verb phrase “added to which” to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present. Additionally, Option B uses the passive voice construction “added to which is”, rendering it awkward and needlessly indirect.

C: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the plural verb “have been added” to refer to the plural noun “words. Further, Option C correctly uses the adjective phrase “to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added” to modify the noun “seventeenth-century French”, conveying the intended meaning - that Cajun is basically seventeenth-century French to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added. Additionally, Option C correctly uses the present perfect tense verb “have been added” to refer to an event that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present. Besides, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase “having been added to it”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the independent clause “English, Spanish, and Italian words are added”; the construction of this clause leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that Cajun is basically seventeenth-century French to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added. Further, Option E incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb “are added” to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; please remember, the present perfect tense (marked by "has/have") is the correct tense to refer to actions that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Additionally, Option E redundantly uses “and” alongside “in addition”.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

Additional Note: Some students may think that the verb phrase "have been added" is a present perfect continuous phrase, but this is not the case. Rather, this usage is simply the passive voice version of the present perfect tense verb phrase "have added". The key in differentiating between the two here is the meaning of the sentence; according to the sentence, the Cajun language that exists today is seventeenth-century French to which English, Spanish, and Italian words were added at some point in the past. The addition of these words occurred and concluded in the past, but it continues to affect the present because this addition formed a language, Cajun, spoken today.

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Continuous Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [2]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the 4,000 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
the sentence doesn't demand a present perfect tense because we are not showing the continuity of the activity of adding(that the addition of words is still on)...so i prefer C over E...however in the absence of C(d answer choice with the modification) i will choose present perfect tense....i.e have been....simply because this option is the best out of the rest...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the 4,000 [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words

Is the use of which correct in all the above options? If yes then what is which referring to?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
maddyboiler wrote:

Is the use of which correct in all the above options? If yes then what is which referring to?

Hi there,

The relative pronoun "which" correctly refers to "seventeenth-century" French as this is the closest noun to this relative pronoun modifier. It is French to which many words from different languages have been added. Hence, there is no ambiguity in the reference of "which".

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [1]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

(D) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it
(D) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added

Hi Experts,

I would like to understand the following doubts:

1- What kind of construction is this? to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.
2- In choice D, what is the error. Also, having been added to it is Noun Modifier, Is it modifying Italian words or English,Spanish and Italian words combined.
Please post your reasoning.

Regards,
H

P.S
Since I couldn't find satisfactory explanation of this question, I thought of posting it as a new post. Moreover, the question posted earlier has some tweaks involved and that wasn't serving purpose.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [8]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
I would like to understand the following doubts:
1- What kind of construction is this? to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

Hi imhimanshu. I'm not an expert, but just want to share my understanding.

There are two types of "which" modifier.
(1) Noun + which + Verb;
(2) Noun + Preposition (on/in/by) + which + Clause.

Examples:
Type (1): The table which is near the door is broken. ==> After Which is Verb
Type (2): The table on which the cat lies ==> After Which is Noun

In your question, "their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words". You can see the grammar is wrong because "To + Which + Verb" is incorrect grammar.
The correct one should be:
"their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which English, Spanish and Italian words have been added."
OR
"their language is basically seventeenth-century French which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words to."

Quote:
2- In choice D, what is the error. Also, having been added to it is Noun Modifier, Is it modifying Italian words or English,Spanish and Italian words combined.
Please post your reasoning.

D is wrong because:
- "have been added" is wrong modifier because English, Spanish and Italian words cannot add to French by themselves, they must be added ==> The use of "V+ing" modifier is wrong.
- The use of "it" at the end is redundant. It should be eliminated.

Hope my post helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-16-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
For the question posted, i would go for C. I can't understand why present perfect is used. However, i see in the OG, we do not have same options as they are in the original post ( already mentioned by the author), and hence want to know, if we use "were" instead of "are", would you still prefer option E.
It would be great if you can explain.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [5]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos