Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 136

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 23:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (01:34) correct 11% (01:00) wrong based on 83 sessions
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words
(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added
(D) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it
(D) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added

Hi Experts,

I would like to understand the following doubts:

1- What kind of construction is this? to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.
2- In choice D, what is the error. Also, having been added to it is Noun Modifier, Is it modifying Italian words or English,Spanish and Italian words combined.
Please post your reasoning.

Regards,
H

P.S
Since I couldn't find satisfactory explanation of this question, I thought of posting it as a new post. Moreover, the question posted earlier has some tweaks involved and that wasn't serving purpose.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1373 [1] , given: 122

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
I would like to understand the following doubts:
1- What kind of construction is this? to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

Hi imhimanshu. I'm not an expert, but just want to share my understanding.

There are two types of "which" modifier.
(1) Noun + which + Verb;
(2) Noun + Preposition (on/in/by) + which + Clause.

Examples:
Type (1): The table which is near the door is broken. ==> After Which is Verb
Type (2): The table on which the cat lies ==> After Which is Noun

In your question, "their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words". You can see the grammar is wrong because "To + Which + Verb" is incorrect grammar.
The correct one should be:
"their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which English, Spanish and Italian words have been added."
OR
"their language is basically seventeenth-century French which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words to."

Quote:
2- In choice D, what is the error. Also, having been added to it is Noun Modifier, Is it modifying Italian words or English,Spanish and Italian words combined.
Please post your reasoning.

D is wrong because:
- "have been added" is wrong modifier because English, Spanish and Italian words cannot add to French by themselves, they must be added ==> The use of "V+ing" modifier is wrong.
- The use of "it" at the end is redundant. It should be eliminated.

Hope my post helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 01:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I am no great expert either, but still may I join the party?
First thing, which or to which, in essence means the same thing and has no impact on what follows. Coming to the structure part of this sentence, this just a reversed form of writing wherein the verb appears before the simple subject or the compound subject as in this case. All compound subjects are as a matter of rule are plural nouns.
Now we can see each choice in terms of subject-verb agreement and redundancy.

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words --- to which English, Spanish and Italian words has been added; has been doesn’t tally with the plural and compound subject - English, Spanish and Italian words

(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words ---- English, Spanish, and Italian words is added to which ( which refers to French ) S-V error

(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added --- English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added to which --( which refers to French )- the right one

(D) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it----- English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it, to which; In addition having been added is no complete verb -- the expression, ‘to which and to it’ muddles the structure by redundancy

(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added ----- and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added ‘In addition are added is sheer redundancy The second doubt is whether those words are still being added. There is no idea about the same in the choice

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 136

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 05:05
Thank You both for helping me out. Excellent Explanations.

daagh wrote:
I am no great expert either, but still may I join the party?

Now, this is the epitome of Modesty.. :-D

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 21:16
pgai, "To + Which + Verb" is incorrect grammar."

What protocol/rules/Part of speech is abandoned based on which you have said it is incorrect Grammar?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2013, 21:16