Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 11:35
suyash23n wrote:
pqhai wrote:
Dhairya275 wrote:
The answer is incorrect. Its QG 12 Ques 129.

The QA is E.

Please correct the QA so that others aren't missed guided.

Yes, I'd like to confirm OA is E for this question.

Other version of this question is:

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words
(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added ==> CORRECT.
(D) with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it
(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added

OA is C.

But in the question we're discussing, the order of the OA is switched.

Hope it's clear now.

For the question posted, i would go for C. I can't understand why present perfect is used. However, i see in the OG, we do not have same options as they are in the original post ( already mentioned by the author), and hence want to know, if we use "were" instead of "are", would you still prefer option E.
It would be great if you can explain.

Hi suyash23n

If we replace "were" by "are, the sentence is still incorrect. We use "are" on if we want to mention an action at present (present tense). However, the fact that other languages added into seventeenth-century French happened in the PAST. The action "adding" is still continuous to present. ==> ONLY Present perfect tense is correct. Both simple past and simple present are incorrect.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 10:06
eyunni wrote:
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words were added
(D) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added
(E) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added

One choice is slightly tweaked to make life difficult. Please explain your choice.

We don't have to focus on s-v agreement (language is makes sense). However, we need to focus on tense.

A) You cannot use "HAS been added" when you're refering to three languages. It needs to be HAVE been added. A is wrong
B) "added to which is" should be "added to which are", and even at that this structure is weird and I don't think it is ideomatically correct. B is wrong
C) "were" does not make sense since a specific timeframe is needed, otherwise we have ambiguity. Also, were sort of implies that the language no longer exists/applies, as if it is a dead language that no longer functions in our world. That is also not the intent of the author. Simple past is wrong tense. C is gone
D) "are" added is wrong, sure "is" is present tense but the words are not added right at this instant. So D is wrong. Also, "and, in addition" sounds weird.
E) "have been" is correct, "something that happened in the past and is no longer happening". This keeps the intent of the author intact. Also "to which.. added" makes ideomatical sense, especially in comparison to the other options.

E is correct

Last edited by aeglorre on 05 Jan 2014, 10:19, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 10:15
nmohindru wrote:
eyunni wrote:
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words were added
(D) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added
(E) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added

One choice is slightly tweaked to make life difficult. Please explain your choice.

IMO C).

E) uses present perfect which means action is still happening. However this dialect was "brought" in 1755.

That is an incorrect assesment. "have been added" does not imply the action is still happening, it implies that in the past, words were added and the process of adding words is no longer happening. Were added needs to refer to some timeframe, otherwise it makes no sense. If we're going to use simple past, we need a specific time to connect "were" to. (Otherwise, what period of time does were specifically refer to? A hundred years ago? 5 minutes ago? It's ambiguous) Have been added is much more flexible in that sense, since it simply states that "in the past X happened, and it is no longer happening". Thus, E is correct.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V36
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2014, 14:09
This is not the actual OG12 question.

The OG12 alternatives are different.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [2] , given: 185

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
suyash23n wrote:
pqhai wrote:
Dhairya275 wrote:
The answer is incorrect. Its QG 12 Ques 129.

The QA is E.

Please correct the QA so that others aren't missed guided.

Yes, I'd like to confirm OA is E for this question.

Other version of this question is:

(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added ==> CORRECT.
(D) with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it
(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added

OA is C.

But in the question we're discussing, the order of the OA is switched.

Hope it's clear now.

For the question posted, i would go for C. I can't understand why present perfect is used. However, i see in the OG, we do not have same options as they are in the original post ( already mentioned by the author), and hence want to know, if we use "were" instead of "are", would you still prefer option E.
It would be great if you can explain.

Hi Suyash,

I’m not sure if you are still looking for a response on this question. But here it is anyway. :)

You have correctly identified that the correct answer for the posted question is option C i.e. “to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added.”
Now, to find out why the present perfect tense is used here, let’s try to understand the meaning of the sentence:

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the 4,000 Acadians
o who migrated there in 1755;
their language is basically seventeenth-century French
o to which has been added English, Spanish, and Italian words.

MEANING
So, the sentence tells us about a dialect that Cajuns speak. This dialect was brought to southern Louisiana by 4,000 Arcadians in 1755.
It also tells us that the language of the Arcadians is basically seventeenth-century French. English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added to this language.

Now, the reason for using the present perfect tense is that these words have been added over a long time. The action of adding words to a language happens with the evolution of the language. We use the present perfect tense to refer to an action that started in the past and has continued into the present. So, the use of this tense is correct in the context of this sentence. The intended meaning here is that these words have been added to the language over the course of time.

Option E

If we use ‘are/were added’ as the verb in this sentence, that means the action of adding these words happened at a certain point of time. Now, since there is no point of time mentioned in the sentence, we cannot use ‘were added’.

Also, this option has two more errors:

Meaning Error: It’s not clear what the words are added to. Logically we know that these words are added to the seventeenth-century French, but it’s not mentioned in this option.

Redundancy Error: The phrase ‘in addition’ and the word ‘and’ both are used in the sentence to provide some additional information. So, one of them is redundant here.

Hope this helps! :)
Regards,
Deepak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 156

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 00:07
Hi Mods, why are so many OG questions have been tweaked? I guess in this question the choices are jumbled up
Intern
Intern
Schools: Erasmus '15

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 12:07
The correct answer is C - It's stated in the OG13 --> Please correct it ! Thanks.

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 00:17
"Have done" is used wrongly in OA.

this is correct.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 10:13
I wonder why A is incorrect. Can anyone explain that? Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 13:15
Here is my explenation:

First of all we should consider what the "author" wants to explain: the fact that to french have been added several languages;

In the original sentence the subject are English, Spanish AND italian languages; but the verb is singular; As we know the conjuction and makes the subject plural so the verb should be have. We could have used has if, and only if the sentence would have introduced a conjuction like or.
Finally we should decide between C and E ( i did not say among, check the difference), but we figure out that we cannot use the past simple, instead, we should use the present perfect simply because there are no time references and the only thing we can assume is that the action happened in the past.

I believe that E is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-13-2014

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 119

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2014, 20:43
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the 4,000 Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish, and Italian words.

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish, and Italian words - singular verb for words
(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words - singular word for words
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added - correct verb. Words were added in past and they are are still present in language.
(D) with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it - With refers to subject not to french, it is ambigous
(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added - Words were added in past not in present, connector missing between two independent clause. Comma should be before "and" rather than after

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2014, 20:43