Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jun 2015, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cal State Uni - B-schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Cal State Uni - B-schools [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 06:16
Any thoughts on the relative rankings of the business schools within the California State Uni System?

Any reliable source that I can use?

All the programs are unranked on the US News site.

Thanks,
Ronnie.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (int); Booth (int)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Cal State Uni - B-schools [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 07:01
Um, UCBerkeley and UCLA are among some of the better schools in the nation...they most definitely would be ranked in any publication.

Anyway, per USNews magazine...
Berkeley (7)
LA (15)
Irvine (36)
Davis (42)

Rest of them, if they exist, would fall outside of the Top 50, and probably would be viewed about the same from future employers. IMO, and a lot of others here will agree, rankings are all highly subjective and should only be used as a very preliminary screening tool for you.
Intern
Intern

Re: Cal State Uni - B-schools [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 07:07
longhorn07 wrote:
Um, UCBerkeley and UCLA are among some of the better schools in the nation...they most definitely would be ranked in any publication.

Berkeley (7)
LA (15)
Irvine (36)
Davis (42)

Rest of them, if they exist, would fall outside of the Top 50, and probably would be viewed about the same from future employers. IMO, and a lot of others here will agree, rankings are all highly subjective and should only be used as a very preliminary screening tool for you.

I am aware of the rankings of these schools. I am interested in the rankings of the schools withing the Cal State Uni system.

My score is not competitive enough so that i can apply to the UCal schools.

GMAT 1: 650 51q,26v, 5awa.
WE : 5 years in software development

The Indian IT male pool is quite competitive you see and the low score hurts my chances even more.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 8

Re: Cal State Uni - B-schools [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 07:23
First off, California has two public school systems:

1. The UC system (research oriented)
2. The Cal State system (teaching oriented - cannot award Ph.D's except through a joint degree with a UC school)

The UC ranking is as follows IMHO:

1. UC Berkeley (Haas)
2. UCLA (Anderson)
3. UC Davis / UC Irvine / UCSD (these schools mostly have a regional reputation)

The Cal State system:

1. SDSU / Cal Poly SLO
2. The other CSU schools (No strong differentiation except in the city where the program is located)
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Cal State Uni - B-schools [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 09:40
socalmike wrote:

2. The Cal State system (teaching oriented - cannot award Ph.D's except through a joint degree with a UC school)

1. UC Berkeley (Haas)
2. UCLA (Anderson)
3. UC Davis / UC Irvine / UCSD (these schools mostly have a regional reputation)

The Cal State system:

1. SDSU / Cal Poly SLO
2. The other CSU schools (No strong differentiation except in the city where the program is located)

Building on the good information listed here, I'd suggest looking into Tier 3 of the UC's (UC Davis, Irvine, and SD) and Tier 1 of the CSU (SDSU and Cal Poly SLO). The average GMAT at the other CSU's is somewhere around 550-600, so these should be good back-up schools for you. You might also want to look into the University of San Diego, but it's a pretty new program: USD Class Profile | USD Employment Report (no $ listed)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 37

Re: Cal State Uni - B-schools [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 09:55
Just to chime in here with some San Diego information (since that's where I'm from), I've talked to both USD and UCSD's MBA students and just be aware of the job market post-MBA if you're looking into San Diego area. A lot of the jobs are going to be in tech or biotech/pharma companies since San Diego is saturated with these type of companies. A lot of people go into sales and marketing. Not saying that you won't be able to branch out and do what you want to do, but just know ahead of time that if you're looking at San Diego business schools, these are the type of companies that are potentially recruiting on campus.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern

Re: Cal State Uni - B-schools [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 11:02
grapesfarmer wrote:
longhorn07 wrote:

Berkeley (7)
LA (15)
Irvine (36)
Davis (42)

I am aware of the rankings of these schools. I am interested in the rankings of the schools withing the Cal State Uni system.

My score is not competitive enough so that i can apply to the UCal schools.

GMAT 1: 650 51q,26v, 5awa.
WE : 5 years in software development

The Indian IT male pool is quite competitive you see and the low score hurts my chances even more.

Thanks

IMO you can definitely give Davis and Irvine a shot with your stats. I have a friend who just recently got admitted to Irvine with a 30 K scholarship. His GMAT was marginally above yours and he had 2.5 yrs exp in IT.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 8

Re: Cal State Uni - B-schools [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 11:09
Av wrote:
socalmike wrote:

1. UC Berkeley (Haas)
2. UCLA (Anderson)

The Cal State system:

1. SDSU / Cal Poly SLO

Building on the good information listed here, I'd suggest looking into Tier 3 of the UC's (UC Davis, Irvine, and SD) and Tier 1 of the CSU (SDSU and Cal Poly SLO). The average GMAT at the other CSU's is somewhere around 550-600, so these should be good back-up schools for you. You might also want to look into the University of San Diego, but it's a pretty new program: USD Class Profile | USD Employment Report (no $ listed)

USD is decent in San Diego but as a private school, I don't believe it would give you better value than even SDSU unless your company is paying for it. None of these schools will have strong recruitment or ops into IB/MC.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Cal State Uni - B-schools [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 12:20
socalmike wrote:
USD is decent in San Diego but as a private school, I don't believe it would give you better value than even SDSU unless your company is paying for it. None of these schools will have strong recruitment or ops into IB/MC.
I agree.

Re: Cal State Uni - B-schools   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2011, 12:20