Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 02:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calc/ Algebra/ and Stats not so great - My chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Calc/ Algebra/ and Stats not so great - My chances? [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 21:42
I will be applying to b-school within the next year. My app looks solid:

GPA 3.41
Dual Degree Accounting and Economics
CPA
2 yrs Big 4 audit with progression
2 yrs Transaction services w/ Big 4 (Buy Side and Sell side research) w/ progression

CFA (passed level 2)

720 GMAT

***The one catch is that in my undergrad, I recieved the following grades:

D - Intermediate Algebra (C- on second try and C on third try)
C - college Algebra
D - Calculus (B- earned on second try)
D - financial Acct. (earned a C on second try)
C- - Stats
D - Anthropolgy (earned an A on the second try)

The point I am trying to make is that I had a few mishaps on my undergrad transcript. My last couple of semesters were pretty good. My acct. GPA is roughly a 3.4 and Econ is 3.6. My target schools are:

Wharton
Chicago
Harvard
Northwestern
Berkeley

Do I have a chance at any of the above schools, and if so, which one?

Thanks!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 05:00
Honestly, I think your chances are the worst at the quant heavy schools. They will worry you wont be able to handle the intense math. So Wharton and GSB are going to be tough. HBS is tough for every single person.

It is possible to get in with a low score but it is a huge challenge. If you aren't applying this year it might be a good idea to take a calc class this spring and ensure you get an A to prove you have grown up and now can do the math. No matter what you are going to need a convincing reason in your optional essay.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 05:02
OH and a 720 is a solid GMAT score but for you a high quant breakdown is important. I think no matter what your overall score is, you are going to need at least a 48 on the quant.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 09:07
riverripper wrote:
OH and a 720 is a solid GMAT score but for you a high quant breakdown is important. I think no matter what your overall score is, you are going to need at least a 48 on the quant.

I hate it when people make excuses on here for low grades, but when I was at school, I was made the VP of recruiting of my fraternity. It was very taxing on my time. In hindsight, I would have never joined. Do you think the VP of rec. will look good on my app, or should I not even put it on there?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 09:14
miguel3072 wrote:
riverripper wrote:

I hate it when people make excuses on here for low grades, but when I was at school, I was made the VP of recruiting of my fraternity. It was very taxing on my time. In hindsight, I would have never joined. Do you think the VP of rec. will look good on my app, or should I not even put it on there?

You want to show you are involved so extra curriculars are important, so I say use it.

Sorry to say you are going to have to explain those grades away, if you dont they will assume you cant cut the course load. Your GPA is fine, but quant is very important at all b-schools so its going to be a tough hill to climb with all those grades. Also when you calculate your GPA, do you use the original grade and the retake grade or just the retake?

However, saying you threw frat parties probably isn't going to help your case.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 09:54
riverripper wrote:
miguel3072 wrote:
riverripper wrote:

You want to show you are involved so extra curriculars are important, so I say use it.

Sorry to say you are going to have to explain those grades away, if you dont they will assume you cant cut the course load. Your GPA is fine, but quant is very important at all b-schools so its going to be a tough hill to climb with all those grades. Also when you calculate your GPA, do you use the original grade and the retake grade or just the retake?

However, saying you threw frat parties probably isn't going to help your case.

That is the GPA that shows up on my transcript. Is it calculated differently for b-school than how schools calculate it? I think the new grade replaces the old one in calculating my GPA, but both remain on my transcript. The grade that I recieved after re-taking the class shows up on my transcript.

Out of all the classes that I listed above, which would you re-take?
  [#permalink] 22 Dec 2007, 09:54