Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.13
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [3] , given: 1

Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 18:20
This post received
KUDOS
Here is a spreadsheet I made for my use that I figured I'd share, now its rough and I'm not a math genius, but it works for my purposes. It is broken down by International and Domestic applicants, and will show your chances according to the type of applicant you are.

Feel free to poke holes in my math and make changes!

edit 3: Big update I will keep the original one in place, feel free to make changes or give suggestions

Attachment:
MBAchances.xls [11 KiB]
Downloaded 205 times
To download please login or register as a user

Old File

Attachment:
MBAchances.xls [14.5 KiB]
Downloaded 115 times

New One

Now of course this does not take into account any GPA or GMAT factors its only meant to be used as a rough guesstimate as to your chances if you are either an International or Domestic student.

A mathematical assumption was made using the %'s of the matriculated 2011 class profile, that the breakdown would be the same with overall acceptances.

Obviously a lot more goes into getting that acceptance to the school you are looking at, but this spreadsheet might be a good way for either an international or domestic student to further target a school where their chances may be greater.

Oh and Texas A&M was used for the current numbers. Just need to edit the raw numbers using figures from your school of choice located here:

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... index.html

edit: fixed error in spreadsheet... will update if I find anymore
edit 2: Ok now it should be good lol
edit 3: Big update I will keep the original one in place, feel free to make changes or give suggestions

What I did was come up with a base 100% extrapolated from the Mean GMAT/GPA/Work Experience. If you are the super average student who hits each mean number then you will have an 100% chance of acceptance. Unfortunately that is fleeting moment as your acceptance % is then calculated against the application data. Some schools have very large International to Domestic splits which causes some massive number shifts (IE Uni. of Illinois, Michigan State and Purdue). In my spreadsheet I uploaded you can see my profile against Michigan State (Broad). Looking at the data below you can see that I'm very close to being the average student attending Broad as a domestic student. Unfortunately it seems that only the best of students are taken from the international pool, which is no fun if your an international student.

CHANCES OF BEING ACCEPTED ACCORDING TO THE 2011 CLASS PROFILE

International Applicants
13.07%

Domestic Applicants
71.4%

% of Total Applicants of Accepted
29.4%

GMAT/GPA/Work Combined %
112.22%

Total International Acceptance %
14.66%

Total Domestic Acceptance %
80.13%

You can see that I'm slightly below the mark overall for Broad as my total chances to be accepted were 80.13% which was just above the average 71.4% pace which domestic applicants are accepted overall.

Once again this is a ball parking application. Not meant for a true measure of your ability to be accepted.

I weighted the GMAT at 34% consideration and the GPA/Work at 33% respectively. Those are adjustable.

For the GMAT I assumed a 2% shift for every point above or below the mean (IE 34%*1.02 = 34.68%)
For your GPA I assumed a 3% shift for every .01 shift above or below the mean
For your Work Experience I assumed a 2% shift for every point above or below the mean

Variables which were added:

GMAT
GPA
Work Experience/Quality of Work Experience

Existing Variables not considered:

Interview
Legacy
How the size of the 80% Spread affects final numbers
Recommends
Essays

Last edited by Rommeliv on 04 Oct 2011, 17:58, edited 5 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 18:36
I fixed errors, hopefully it should be good now :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 18:55
K I swear... that was the last fix lol
Intern
Intern

Re: Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 19:40
So one thing I noticed when doing a run down is that not all schools release their yield or full application pool data, which unfortunately makes it difficult to get accurate numbers. In the Top 15 its rather hit or miss but after that most the data is there for the taking usually.
Manager
Manager
Status: Do not worry. You are not going to get out of this world alive anyway :)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.89
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 10:16
This is a great idea ... and if you could add GPA/GMAT and add consideration of a few more schools, this would be one of the most used spreadsheets on the site ;)
Just my opinion :)
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 17:14
This post received
KUDOS
I was thinking of giving it a go anyways, so I took a shot. Now this is some very very rudimentary math I used to come up with these numbers.

Attachment:
MBAchances.xls [14.5 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times

What I did was come up with a base 100% extrapolated from the Mean GMAT/GPA/Work Experience. If you are the super average student who hits each mean number then you will have an 100% chance of acceptance. Unfortunately that is fleeting moment as your acceptance % is then calculated against the application data. Some schools have very large International to Domestic splits which causes some massive number shifts (IE Uni. of Illinois, Michigan State and Purdue). In my spreadsheet I uploaded you can see my profile against Michigan State (Broad). Looking at the data below you can see that I'm very close to being the average student attending Broad as a domestic student. Unfortunately it seems that only the best of students are taken from the international pool, which is no fun if your an international student.

CHANCES OF BEING ACCEPTED ACCORDING TO THE 2011 CLASS PROFILE

International Applicants
13.07%

Domestic Applicants
71.4%

% of Total Applicants of Accepted
29.4%

GMAT/GPA/Work Combined %
112.22%

Total International Acceptance %
14.66%

Total Domestic Acceptance %
80.13%

You can see that I'm slightly below the mark overall for Broad as my total chances to be accepted were 80.13% which was just above the average 71.4% pace which domestic applicants are accepted overall.

Once again this is a ball parking application. Not meant for a true measure of your ability to be accepted.

I weighted the GMAT at 34% consideration and the GPA/Work at 33% respectively. Those are adjustable.

For the GMAT I assumed a 2% shift for every point above or below the mean (IE 34%*1.02 = 34.68%)
For your GPA I assumed a 3% shift for every .01 shift above or below the mean
For your Work Experience I assumed a 2% shift for every point above or below the mean

Variables which were added:

GMAT
GPA
Work Experience/Quality of Work Experience

Existing Variables not considered:

Interview
Legacy
How the size of the 80% Spread affects final numbers
Recommends
Essays
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8157 [0], given: 3640

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 15:30
Expert's post
Kudos. Could you perhaps write out instructions how one is to use it and frame them? People tend not to read much and just skim these days, would help quite a bit to know which cells to change what should stay locked/etc.

Something like this:

STEP 1: Download the file
STEP 2: Find the data on business week
STEP 3: Plug in data into cells highlighted in Yellow
STEP 4: See your result/chances in Cell XX

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 00:54
When I get some time this weekend I'll color code and do a quick write up.
Re: Calculate your chances of acceptance (Spreadsheet)   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2011, 00:54