Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 488 [1] , given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think there is a slight problem with this question. The correct answer (B), should have a comma after 'college.'

Without the comma, we have a rambling fragment, and the subject 'calculus' lacks a verb.

By placing a comma between both 'Calculus' and 'college' we set off the parenthetical phrase, thereby allow the verb 'involves' to correctly modify the subject 'Calculus.' Thus the corrected correct answer should read:

Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college, involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
Why waste time on flawed questions like this one?

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 10:49
Please be carefull posting questions. I just wasted 10 mins trying to figure out the correct answer.
Without comma after college none of the options were sounding correct to me. I think With comma, this question is very simple.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 09:13
Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.
Hi guys,
If I choose B as OA, then what is the Subject & Verb agreement applied to the sentence? Why can B is the correct answer?

Thanks ChrisLele, I missed your post. Your correction absolutely makes the B right.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 127

Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 20:37
Ardy wrote:
Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involving the study of change, is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

(A) to attend college involving the study of change, is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on
(B) to attend college involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on
(C) to go to college involving the study of change, and is used in science and engineering fields, because it was focusing on
(D) to attend college that involves studying change, and is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on
(E) to attend college involving the study of change, which is now used in the science and engineering fields, focuses on

My explanation: Look at the original sentence-
Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involving the study of change(appositive phrase so omit it), is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.
after we omit appositive phrase- Calculus is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.- not wrong.
Other options are missing subject at 2nd half- say choice B- "and is used in the fields of science and engineering" whats the subject before "is" ? its not Calculus here..when we join two independent clause we can use "," conjecture words between two independent clause.-which is missing in B C D.

E- in correctly uses "which". So ans is A

I had the same thing working in my mind...I also went with A!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 05:08
I also go with A. B looks awkward.
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 03:08
Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involving the study of change, is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

Removing the middle modifier the stem reduces to : Calculus ............. IS used in the sc & engg fields.

Vertical scan reveals : Only A to fit the bill

however scanning of B / C / D / E resonates the same :

(B) Calculus................and is used .................... Eliminated

(C) Calculus ...............and is used .................... Eliminated

(D) Calculus ................and is used ................... Eliminated

(E) Calculus .............to attend college involving the study of change, which is now used .................. : WHICH incorrectly modifies ....Change whereas it should modify calculus ........... = Eliminated

leading to A , my take
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 03:24
skmskm wrote:

Removing the middle modifier the stem reduces to : Calculus ............. IS used in the sc & engg fields.

(E) Calculus .............to attend college involving the study of change, which is now used .................. : WHICH incorrectly modifies ....Change whereas it should modify calculus ........... = Eliminated

leading to A , my take

I think u have skipped one unavoidable error in the original sentence.
"a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involving the study of change" Here the ing-modifier without comma is modifying the noun college and makes the intent nonsensical.

Hence the correct option is B. Calculus involves study of change and is used in science & engg...... (maintains parallelism)

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 03:54
SOURH7WK wrote:
skmskm wrote:

leading to A , my take

I think u have skipped one unavoidable error in the original sentence.
"a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involving the study of change" Here the ing-modifier without comma is modifying the noun college and makes the intent nonsensical.

Hence the correct option is B. Calculus involves study of change and is used in science & engg...... (maintains parallelism)

Thanks Buddy @ SOURH for pointing that out ; Overlooked the portion college INVOLVES = Guess a comma preceeding INVOLVES would have helped in avoiding such oversights.

B : Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college, INVOLVES the study of change, AND is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

thus the reduced stem : Calculus involves X...................AND...................IS used in Y

yes indeed, the answer then is B
Manager
Manager
WE: Account Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 34

Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 07:18
I agree with daagh, withouth the correct comma use this question becomes much harder. Logically, only 'involes' could be correct as colleges can't participate in involving change.

In the study cave!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 09:58
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 22:39
I took the wrong option ... I could not make out the parallelism among the given option so marked A as answer though involving incorrectly modifying College .. Experts please explainn where I am wrong ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 00:14
Nice question .. Got it right in 49 secs.. Feeling good :-)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 08:31

Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involving the study of change, is used in the ...........

students planning - planning modifies students
college involving - involving incorrectly modifies college. College does not involve the study of change. Calculus involves the study of change.

So involving, a verb-ing modifier needs to be converted to involves, a verb.
When we change involving to involves, the second verb 'is' needs to be connected with and.

These two issues are rectified in B. So B is the correct answer.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 12:34
Comma is missing in B.

Moderator kindly place comma in option B before verb.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 16:33
If B is correct then the sentence has fragment error since there is no verb for Calculus

Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses onlimits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

Here a subject has two verbs offered and is used

Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college, involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses onlimits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.
Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 16:33