Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: The University of Texas at Austin
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 11:58
Unless I'm missing something, McCombs doesn't have its own thread. Surely there are a few applicants on this forum. Right?

I'm hoping to have it in by Wednesday. So...

Toploader - 11/28

Last edited by Toploader on 15 Jan 2008, 17:29, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 12:54
I was thinking of submitting mine on November 1st, but I put that off for some time.

Did you have trouble filling the application out?

You have to fill out a regular Texas application and then another Mccombs one, right?
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 13:10
The Texas website is rather confusing. I started to fill out the regular application but couldn't find an option for the Full-Time MBA in Austin in one of the drop-down menus (Part-Time and Dallas and Houston programs were there, however). I called McCombs and they got back to me via e-mail:

Thank you for your interest in the McCombs MBA program at The University of Texas at Austin. Below is the website that we are instructing all current applicants to use:

http://mba.mccombs.utexas.edu/admissions/adm/application.asp

This is much more streamlined and efficient than applytexas, and although I’m not sure how much you’ve information you’ve inputted into applytexas, I think you’ll find that this is much easier to use.

I've since only used the link that was provided via e-mail.

I'm not a fan of how their evaluator process works: recommenders aren't asked for their recommendation until after the application is submitted. I could have asked them to simply fill out a paper form and mail it in, but they much prefer the online process.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 13:16
That helps so much.

I had so many problems trying to find the right application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 04:02
I intended to submit the application by November 1st, but have been putting it off. I should be submitting in the next week or so. The campus is really nice as is the Longhorn stadium.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 10:32
Application done.

I've got a bit of a gripe about Texas' online application... After noticing a weird formatting error that popped up when I pasted my Topic 2 essay, I got kinda paranoid about Topic 1 which I had already submitted. Without any obvious way to check it after the fact, I called the help desk to see what could be done. They stated that once you copy and paste an essay into the field and submit it, that's it! Nobody can change or delete it or anything! I actually created a whole new application from scratch as a result and triple checked the formatting for each essay. Ugghhh.

Add to my frustration the fact that recommenders aren't alerted until after the recommendation has been submitted. One of my evaluators is swamped for the next two weeks which will inevitably delay my app's review (he had plenty of time in October, however...). Meh.

That aside. I'm lovin' McCombs... fingers crossed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 13:22
Thanks for sharing. I was about to paste my essays into the applications and edit later. I did this on the other applications I submitted.
Current Student

Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2008, 05:37
Back when I said my application was done, MY part of the application was done. My two recommenders (who were on the ball for all my other schools) won't be submitting their evaluations until Monday. I'm not pleased. Not pleased at all.

Alas, it's still not late in the whole rolling application process (right?) and the offices have been shut down the last few weeks. I'm trying to see the glass as half full...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2008, 11:25
Toploader,

I am yet to submit my app ! So you are in better shape.
I don't think submitting now should put us at too much disadvantage....I remember luminos24 submitting his app around this time last year (if I am not mistaken) and getting accepted with a nice in-state offer and some money.

Good luck !

http://mba2010dreams.blogspot.com

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2008, 13:29
checked out the GSB building when I was there last weekend. Nice campus!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 15:46
Just got an interview invite for McCombs. I applied in round 2.
Current Student

Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 15:53
Congrats MiamiMBA! Stats if you don't mind sharing?

What do you mean by R2? Technically, Texas is rolling although some sites claim the R2 deadline for Texas is Feb 1st.

When was your application complete? How did they contact you?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 15:59
I submitted my application yesterday, but neither of my recommendors have received a mail to submit the reco so far. Is there a delay in the system that sends out the e-mails ?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 16:03
Toploader wrote:
Congrats MiamiMBA! Stats if you don't mind sharing?

What do you mean by R2? Technically, Texas is rolling although some sites claim the R2 deadline for Texas is Feb 1st.

When was your application complete? How did they contact you?

I think Texas has "Rounds", but you are right, they are rolling. My application was complete on 12/5/07 and I received an email about the interview this afternoon.

I'm 29, 8 years WE in marketing (steady promotions and increase in responsibilities)
Somewhat low GMAT: 620; GPA was 3.1
Solid volunteer work (leadership positions); co-own and run a start up business in addition to regular job
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 10:48
Just one reco pending in my app. Hope my recommendor submits it soon.
How are the others doing w.r.t McCombs app ?

Current Student

Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 11:04
MiamiMBA wrote:
I think Texas has "Rounds", but you are right, they are rolling. My application was complete on 12/5/07 and I received an email about the interview this afternoon.

By my calculations, that's about three working weeks (with the holidays in the middle) - I've just marked my calendar accordingly. So did you have the interview? Any tips?

sperinko wrote:
Just one reco pending in my app. Hope my recommendor submits it soon.

I had the same problem. When I'm a McCombs student adcom I plan on revamping the application process so reco requests go out BEFORE the application is complete! :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 14:32
Could you also have the system accept VISA credit card for application fee :-D
Toploader wrote:
I had the same problem. When I'm a McCombs student adcom I plan on revamping the application process so reco requests go out BEFORE the application is complete! :lol:

Current Student

Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 14:58
sperinko wrote:

Ha! That got you too huh? My rec was actually delayed while I waited for my new MasterCard to come in the mail. My other gripe about the application is that you can't view or delete the essays once they're uploaded. I worried that I may have accidentally uploaded the wrong essay so I started a new application from scratch. Even though I was extra careful the second time around, I'm still wondering if I got it right...

Anyway, all is forgiven. After talking to somebody in the admissions office I absolutely *heart* McCombs again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 17:53
That worried me as well. But I did a few rounds of essay review b4 uploading...or so I think :roll:

So, you got quite a lot of things to say in the interview TL...about what you can do in McCombs!!!
Toploader wrote:
sperinko wrote:

Ha! That got you too huh? My rec was actually delayed while I waited for my new MasterCard to come in the mail. My other gripe about the application is that you can't view or delete the essays once they're uploaded. I worried that I may have accidentally uploaded the wrong essay so I started a new application from scratch. Even though I was extra careful the second time around, I'm still wondering if I got it right...

Anyway, all is forgiven. After talking to somebody in the admissions office I absolutely *heart* McCombs again.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2008, 07:51
Any McCombs applicants heard anything post-interview? If so, when did you interview? Thanks.
Re: Callin' all y'all Texas/McCombs Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2008, 07:51