Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Travel

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 13:01
Cool idea. I've backpacker Asia twice. One time for 2 months after undergrad and just recently for 3 weeks in March following a two week spat in China for work.

Traveling the summer before I start an MBA program has crossed my mind more than once. If I do get admitted anywhere, and i decide to go back to Asia, I'll be sure to let you know. However, right now I really have an itch for South America...

Gotta say though, SEA is a truly exciting and spectacular place. Amazing people, culture, food, and land. IMO, it's home to some of the most beautiful and surreal places on earth.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 15:12
Ah! Finally, there are others! I've had thoughts of doing this for awhile, ever since I committed to applying for Fall 2012. I've been pretty burned out by my time in finance so I am looking forward to making this adventure happen. Hadn't really started planning except for reading some travel books (Vagabonding is a great start for anyone thinking about taking time off to travel). I figure I need to focus on apps now, the planning will come later. I may just hop on a plane and go. 8-)

Laseratti - I'm looking at Tuck too! Are you going to visit campus any time soon?
Darden Thread Master
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 01:58
Hey laseratti !!

I plan to do something very similar... I have already taken the GMAT. Applying to Darden, McCombs, UCLA... Aiming for october deadline .. will get results by DEC-JAN 2012. Just waiting to quit the job and take a long pending vacation from work..

But here is where my plan diverts from yours ... being an international student i`ll be working on my Visa`s for US in Jan. So Feb is when my backpacking trip starts. And i would love to join you if things go right and both of us get admits :-)... hope we find a good number of adventurous spirits in the 2012 applicants.
Dont see a lot of 2012 applicants on Gmatclub right now.. may be we are too early.. or to eager

---
Jimmy

Life`s battles dont always go,
To the stronger or faster man;
But sooner or later the man who wins,
Is the man who THINKS HE CAN .

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Darden Thread Master
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 21:12
laseratti -

Hey!!! Goa is a nice start.. recently had a summer break there. I believe one of the schools you aim for - Columbia has released the Essay topics. You must be busy already. :-D .. so where are you from and whats your academic background? Curious to know my co-applicants profiles for 2012 :P

---
Jimmy

Life`s battles dont always go,
To the stronger or faster man;
But sooner or later the man who wins,
Is the man who THINKS HE CAN .

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 07:15
Columbia has a pre-MBA world tour for admitted students. You should check it out.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Booth

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 23

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 07:23
Sign me up for this when I get admitted. Would love to have a decision by January (fingers-crossed) so I could move forward on travel plans I've held off on for too many years.

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 08:23
Good way to get ready for the next two years. My current company has corporate services corp where a group of individuals travel to underdeveloped countries for 3-weeks and embark on project for the local government. With good fortune I'll hopefully partake in that the spring prior to beginning next fall, if not, sign me up!

VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 08:53
I'm spreading my apps between R1 and R2 so I won't know where I'm going for sure until April. I will more than likely stay with my employer until June or mid July, depending on when my program starts. I'd like to take at least 6 weeks off before my life becomes a haze of classes, clubs, and networking events. I've been mulling over the idea of traveling abroad for 3-4 weeks during this break. I'm still undecided about where I want to go but Asia is definitely atop the rankings. I'd love to join ya'll if you don't mind a straggler toward the end of your voyage.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 07:06
I definitely plan on doing a couple months of traveling before starting.

One question:
If I put on my application '48 months WE at matriculation' because I started working in August '08 and will be finishing end of July '12, but then I end up actually quitting my job in June to travel, will admissions throw a fit? Should I put 46 months WE on my application if I'm planning on quitting early and traveling beforehand?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Thunderbird (M)
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
GPA: 2.62
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 15:06
Count me in for Asia Summer 2012! I did Europe last summer but I'm definitely looking for something different this time though I will probably only go for a month or so.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 02:59
I am n for this. I am an avid traveler and have taken many spur of the moment breaks using some awesome travel deals.

Will get more active here once the ordeal is over. Laseratti, your school list is similar to mine - applying to Tuck and Columbia this year

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 03:10
Any of you planning to visit Singapore ?

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 20:16
Very cool! I had the same thought, especially since my family lives in Asia, so I was planning on backpacking through southern Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and maybe Malaysia (although I think I need a year for this!).

~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Thunderbird (M)
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
GPA: 2.62
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 07:12
Yes, Singapore is definitely near the top of my list.
Re: Calling 2012 Applicants for Backpacking Through Asia   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2011, 07:12