Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 06:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I have not officially decided to apply but one of my fellow managers went to Michigan and has almost convinced me to apply. From everything I have read they have pretty decent placement in IB. Not sure how good they are for real estate IB though.

710 GMAT
3.6 GPA
blah, blah, blah...we are all great in our own ways.

Cumulative R1 & R2 stats.
22 Admits out of 37 applicants ~ 60% admit rate
Frigging Awesome performance!!!

16 Matriculating- Yield = 76%

Ross R1 Roll Call
Total Applicants=17 Admits=11 Dings = 4 Waitlist=2
skaballet: (via Consortium) Matriculating
saurabh357: Matriculating
ab: Matriculating
dosa: Matriculating
R.E.D.: Matriculating $20k scholarship
clobo: Matriculating
bherronp: Matriculating
ncprasad : Matriculating
nervousgmat: Admitted and 5k
branson: Admitted and 20k
helg: Admitted and 20k
svrider: Waitlist
robinantony: Waitlist
Vij101: Denied
Anshu: Denied
gmat_march: Denied
tsaditya: Denied w/interview

Ross R2 Call
Total: 19 Admits: 10 Dings = 9

ToDoorNot: Matriculating
Manylander :Matriculating
Sensation : Matriculating
livehard : Matriculating
kingKREEP : Matriculating
livingfossil :Matriculating
Darden2010 : Matriculating
Shared Folders: Matriculating
wallspotter: Admitted
Holdengk : Admitted
Angel50201: Admitted
Danymo: Denied w/interview
johnrt2001: Denied w/interview
notokung: Denied w/interview
JDMBA : Denied
sperinko : Denied
pandeyrav: Denied
narsi: Denied
bewakoof: Denied
spideyeclipse: Denied

Last edited by dosa_don on 15 Jun 2008, 15:00, edited 5 times in total.
linked to the wikipage
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 01:05
This post received
KUDOS
Check this out...amazing resource about Ross/Ann Arbor

http://www.zacharyemig.com/
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 03:46
This post received
KUDOS
kwam wrote:
The same thing happens in Brazil, although the average salary is even below that of Russia, Consultants, I-Bankers and Management positions pays almost the same as in US, and with a lower cost of living one has a financial condition even better than one would in US (just financially speaking, and right after the MBA).

We shouldn't look at country average salary without the standard deviation ;), and in those countries the STDEVs are very big...

All Latin America has very extremely distributed income, just think about Copa Cabana and favelas in couple of kilometers away. Kwam, you know Brazil, maybe you could have fun of our office quiz :) Last winter we made a deal with our Business Manager for a bottle of good whiskey, if we answer his question: Everybody knows statue Cristo Redendor in Rio. But there are four statues of this kind and all of them except one are oriented towards one place and the last is oriented other side. Where are all these statues located? :) Oh, I googled all the evening and found some trails of the fifth one :)

The colored map of income inequality in the world is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Worl ... icient.svg
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 01:22
This post received
KUDOS
branson a good resource for immigration related issues is http://www.workpermit.com

GO BLUE !!!

Last edited by Darden2010 on 18 Jan 2008, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations to all the other people that were admitted!
Awesome gmatclub track record here!

About rescheduling the interview: I wouldnt worry too much. I am sure this happens to them all the time, and they will see you in a bad light because of it. I would even say if you make too much fuss about it, it looks rather weird. We are all working, busy people with a social life, and sometimes appointments have to be rescheduled. happens every day.

kryzak, thanks. are you nervous about the Haas decision in 2 weeks? I cant wait. I really dont know what I do if they admit me, but without any $. Well, lets think about that once decisions are in.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
Branson are you planning on working in the US post grad or going back to your home. I think post grad work experience will be more important if you work here for 3-5 years and then go back to europe. Ross definitely will give you a shot at the top tier consulting companies. If you manage to get a job at BCG/McK/Bain then chances are you could easily get a job at almost any consulting firm in the world. Ross has a ton of upward momentum lately, they are building a new facility, are very actively trying to improve their student body...just look at the money they are throwing at all you europeans to try to strengthen a weaker segment of their student body.

That said, I think without a scholarship most people would choose Kellogg. Kellogg is a more highly regarded school and also I think a lot of people would prefer the city of Chicago and what that provides...especially if you are married or bringing a significant other (job opportunities in Chi vs Ann Arbor are 1000x better). However, 20k a year might sway plenty of folks. You definitely cant go wrong with either school.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
Here is some great info on the new building at Ross.

http://www.bus.umich.edu/CommunityCreation/questions/
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 00:56
This post received
KUDOS
robin and sv: see below from ross waitlist FAQ.

What can I do to enhance my MBA application?
You are welcome to notify us of significant updates that have occurred since you submitted your application, such as test scores, promotions, awards, and other achievements. To do so, please send an email with any of the above-mentioned information to the Associate Director who signed your decision letter. Please note that new information submitted should be significant. Multiple emails to your Associate Director with insignificant information may actually hinder your chances for admission.

Also, check out this waitlist transcript from 2006. It may provide additional insight.

http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... _ross.aspx
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
manylander, I was interviewed early along with helg, red, nervous, and bherronp. Helg, red (both Russians), and I (Canada) are internationals, while bherronp and nervous are from the states. All five of us got admits. I went through a similar thought process before and after my interview and I think the process is random. In any case, the fact that they want to interview you means that they are interested in you and that to me is most important. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
R.E.D. wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Tons of cars are made in Canada, a lot of companies especially American car companies have factories and produce tons of cars up there. They also have huge natural gas reserves, gold, diamonds...pretty much if there is something valuable under the ground they have it up there. Americans would recognize far more products that come from Canada than Russia, I think its where you live that you dont realize what they have in the great white north.

Why US companies place manufacturing to Canada? Natural resources, metal, low-price energy?

Not 100% sure but I bet until recently it had the advantage of a stronger dollar. However, the unions are the real problem with the US auto makers, they keep wages far higher than competition like Toyota and Honda, and the healthcare and retirement benefits are insane. I am not sure what the union situation is like in Canada but it has to be better than it is here.

That said the real problem is the fact no one wants to buy US cars anymore because they have the stigma of being ugly, gas guzzling, and unreliable…these are much harder to overcome than fixing the retirement benefits for union members.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2008, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
Okay! I can't hold back anymore, I know what it is. There has always been an adcom member spying on us, Michigan thread GMATClubbers. They've included our avatars in admissions package. Therefore, I get a Michigan football team helmet, Dosa got a Michigan flag, Branson's going to get a football, and nc will get a Michigan mug. Sorry! I had to tell!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
Just as an FYI for all R1 admits and might also help R2 applicants:

Met an alumni last night here in Cincinnati. Apparently adcomm reached out to him to meet me and answer any questions that I might have. Just some notes/points of interest:

1. VERY passionate about the school (obviously).
2. Spoke about a bunch of classes that he felt helped even after graduating- Valuations and a CKPrahalds course were a couple that I remember
3. He suggests staying close to campus but not on it (too many UG's- but clobo might not mind it as he is going to party ;))
4. Raved about MAP- his was in Israel
5. Apparently the alumni network is pretty impressive
6. He said the career services is awesome. They start reaching out to you evene before classes start.
7. For golfers- the UMich golf course is amazing! $25 to play a round. BTW- The course is designed by the same dude who designed the Augusta National Golf Course.
8. DO NOT schedule a team meeting on a Football Saturday. You might be exiled from the school. Everyone....EVERYONE tailgates and goes to the game. The MBA students all get tickets together and hence have their own section in the stadium. AND dont forget to tailgate near the "BUS"
9. Broadly the alum's opinion was that internationals should not have a problem finding a job consulting and banking and even GM but it is difficult in marketing.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
Got In !!

700/6 WE/ Engineering/Indian but currently in US/Goal - consulting.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2008, 16:50
This post received
KUDOS
KingKREEP, this decision is such sweet news. It kind of completes full circle for me : We spent a lot of time together while preparing for the GMAT, I think we took the test within days of each other. We again spent a lot of time together on the B-school app forum and finally admits at the same school.

Your admit is personally very good news for me. Very well deserved. CONGRATS!!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2008, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
@ max125, svrider, sperinko, bsd: Thanks so much guys :)
@ dosa, nc: You guys deserve a special 'Thank You'! Right from the beginning, you guys have been extremely helpful and encouraging. Simply put: you guys ROCK. Period. I'm really looking forward to going to school with at least one of you guys...

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
Also, over the weekend I looked at the US News rankings by specialization, and our school is so awesome!! Ross made it in the top 10 schools in 6 of the 10 rankings for specializations that US News has. Only Stanford and Wharton made it to more specialization rankings (9). And all other schools (including HBS and Kellogg) were included within the 10 ten schools of 6 specialization rankings max.
Ross is
4th in Management
4th in International Business
5th in Accounting
5th in Production/Operations
5th in Nonprofit
7th in Marketing

So guys we can go into so many industries/functions and have a relevant respected brand in our Resume

More details in the Excel file attached :)
Attachments

Summary.xls [20 KiB]
Downloaded 30 times

To download please login or register as a user

GO BLUE !!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
Here is the link to the page with the links to the most popular search engines/apartment listings:
http://www.bus.umich.edu/StudentLife/StudentServices/

Here is a survey about where MBAs live:
http://www.bus.umich.edu/StudentLife/St ... BALive.htm

And, certainly, the direct link to the housing survey of MBA students:
http://www.bus.umich.edu/StudentLife/St ... ey2008.xls
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
Well I guess about 40% of the people have pretty good credit scores. The credit score is different from the GMAT, in a way that with the credit score you compete only against yourself, while with the GMAT you compete with others. So for example everybody with credit score ove 700 can probably lease a car, while everyody with a GMAT score over 700 cannot enter an ultra-elite school :))

kryzak wrote:
strange, over 700 is pretty good for FICO score, not sure why it's only in the 60th percentile area...

GO BLUE !!!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2008, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
GBR Recap

I just returned from GBR, so I thought I would post my experience.

My wife and I flew out from Seattle wednesday night. We arrived in Detroit at about 5 am on Thursday morning (2 am for us) and got our rental car. We then drove to AA. Out of all the things I printed out to bring the one thing I forgot was directions to the hotel. So I had my wife look them up on my Blackberry. Unfortunately I told her 3200 Broadway instead of 3200 Boardwalk, so we got lost for a bit. By 7 am we were at our hotel. I cannot sleep on airplanes, so I was very tired, so we slept until about 11:30.

We arrived at Ross just before 1 and got started right away with the walking tour of housing near campus. This primarily consists of houses that you can either rent with a number of roomates, or houses that have been split into a number of smaller units. I didn't really like the stuff we saw, it reminded me of the places I lived in undergrad. Great when I was 20, not so great now. It started to rain, so the group voted to return to Ross.

I had a couple of other events in the afternoon. The financial aid presentation was straight forward, I already knew most of what they discussed. The main thing I got from my pre-career counseling session was that I should try to be focused on an industry and a function by the time I come to school. The rest of the time was spent mingling with other admits and some students. I am not the greatest at going up to people I don't know and starting a conversation. I know that I need to improve that prior to recruiting, so I walked around and talked to lots of admitted students. Throughout the weekend everyone I spoke to was friendly and fun to talk to.

Dean Dolan's opening speech was funny and also quick, which was good because it was dinner time and I think we were all hungry. I went to Chop House for dinner which was very good. I think my wife now understands that there are nice restaurants in AA (not that we'll be able to afford to eat at them much).

Friday kicked off with a very cool scavenger hunt. My team didn't win, but we didn't come in last, so that was good. Career panels were next. I thought the entrepreneurship panel was very interesting. Particularly because none of the people were in technology related industries that are so commonly associated with entrepreneurship. The GM panel was useful for me also because it helped me realize that GM may not be where I want to go. Certainly the career development that the rotational leadership programs provide is fantastic. However, I think I need to work somewhere where I am excited about the products that we deliver. I am just not excited about the markets that GM and Pepsi operate in.

The sample Strategy class I participated in during the afternoon was great. The strength of the Ross strategy department is one thing that really excites me about going to Michigan. The "focused learning opportunities" discussion that I chose as my second class was not good. The institutes (ERB, ZLI, WDI, other TLAs as well) are all great, but they only had a few minutes each. I didn't learn anything that I hadn't read on their websites.

Friday night dinner at a host student's apartment was a great chance to talk to people more individually. Plus it gave my wife and I a chance to really see one of the Woodbury Gardens apartments. Unfortunately, now my wife wants one of the townhome style apartments like our host couple had. :shock:

I thought the "meet the clubs" event on Saturday would be uninteresting. I don't see clubs as much of a differentiator between schools since so many clubs are replicated across the top schools. However, I actually had a good time talking to the High Tech Club, VC/Entrepreneur club, Soccer Club and some others that I can't remember. The High Tech Club president showed me some numbers about how successful they have been in high tech recruiting, which of course got my attention. It turns out that about 13% of the class goes into the tech field. So I won't be one of the few going after tech, which I like.

Saturday afternoon consisted of a "speed dating" style apartment complex tour. We only had about 15 minutes at each place. Lake Village was very nice and large, but also far away and and very expensive. I thought Briar Cove was a pretty good value for the money. I was a bit disappointed with the 2 bedroom we saw at Woodbury Gardens. However, its benefits of being the closest complex to school (other than Nob Hill) and the fact that 200 MBAs that live there will probably win out.

Saturday night Dosa, ncprasad and I went out to dinner with our wives (and another guy and his girlfriend, not sure if he is on gmatclub) at a local Indian restaurant. I had Briyani and got to see what a Dosa was (Dosa ate a Dosa, in an interesting cyberspace meets real world event). I also learned that I had been pronouncing "desi" wrong in my head this entire time.

All in all GBR was a great experience. The students, staff, and other admits were all great, and I know that I will have a great experience if I go to Ross. Unfortunately, the weekend did little to resolve the concerns that my wife and I have about her finding a job. Before this weekend I would have said that if I converted the GSB waitlist into an admit, that I was off to Chicago. Now I know it will be a tough decision. It seemed that many people at GBR were struggling with tough choices. However, as we reminded each other, all of our choices are good ones and we can't really go wrong.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
Great report bherronp- I dont think I have the patience to type out all that stuff again but here goes what I learnt at GBR:

1. GO BLUE! Get used to that phrase, you are going to say/hear that some 11,576,356,982 times over the next two years. GO BLUE!
2. The students are amazing- the prospective students are even more. ncp, many, bherronp, skaballet are all :cool
3. Be prepared to drink...(GO BLUE!)
4. Be prepared to hate Ohio State- in everything- including the Big Ten Hotdog eating contest
5. Recruiting is not bad for the class of 2008- in fact it is better than what it was at the same point of time for the class of 2007
6. Be prepared for a slow down in hiring
7. Be prepared to drink...(GO BLUE!)
8. If any of the attendees remember the one guy who forgot to turn in the remote after the scavenger hunt game- it was me!
9. Manylander is like an energizer bunny- kept running all over the place in the scavenger hunt
10. bherronp can eat spicy stuff- and finally got to see a "Dosa" *pun intended*
11. Met Bransons friend whom I had met on a previous trip to K and is picking Ross over Tuck (Branson, PM me!)
12. Be prepared to drink...(GO BLUE!)
13. Most people fall in love with the school during admitted weekend (not just at Ross but everywhere I think)- bunch of people were picking Ross over higher ranked schools- K, W, S etc. Again, things could change once they attend those schools.
14. A TON of people deciding between Ross and pick one- Haas/Duke/Darden/Tuck and Ross seemed to be winning in most debates. That might explain its relatively high yield%.
15. Michigan weather sucks
16. Be prepared to drink...(GO BLUE!)
17. Michigan golf course rocks
18. ncp has an amazing of timing- puts up a deposit for an apartment, and then gets admitted with $'s to UCLA. PERFECT!
19. Deal Dolan is really funny - and Nat Geo CEO is a Ross Alum :) and Tom Brady almost become an insurance salesman
20. Be prepared to drink...(GO BLUE!)

Last edited by dosa_don on 15 Apr 2008, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants...   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2008, 12:49