Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, NYU
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 11:33
I would say ED if Columbia is your absolute first choice.

A New Yorker's MBA Journey Yo!
http://xlick.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 11:53
xlick wrote:
I would say ED if Columbia is your absolute first choice.

well, it's not really my first choice by virtue of them rejecting me last year... :P
i feel like re-apping is applying from a position of weakness, especially considering my app hasn't really changed THAT much since last year (decent jump in comp, 1 yr more exp, more sensible essays).
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 12:19
Then that's a decision you have to decide for yourself. You're a trader, risk and reward man :)

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 13:32
xlick wrote:
Then that's a decision you have to decide for yourself. You're a trader, risk and reward man :)

heh, completely true. i was looking more for a quote from a CBS admit person. i thought i had read somewhere that there was one round that was better for re-apps. my intuition tells me it's ED. ah well..
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, Booth, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 14:23
switching from jan application to e.d.
i need more time to tie up loose ends down here ( i hope ) :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, MIT, Columbia

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 14:43
Military intel officer here. Please add me to the RD list.
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 15:26
Updated Roll Call Page

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 15:22
I'm in for ED. Question to other applicants:

For this part of the LOR:

2. Please provide a short list of adjectives describing the applicant’s strengths

Are you having your recommenders just list out 4 or 5 words, or are you having them substantiate each word with specific examples? It would make sense to substantiate it, but they seem to be asking for a short list w/o details.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 16:25
Does anybody have any thoughts on the Masters Classes essay? Is it essentially asking about a time where you learned something by doing it without theory or at all? Or how learning by doing supplemented the formal training?
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 16:29
unhedged wrote:
Does anybody have any thoughts on the Masters Classes essay? Is it essentially asking about a time where you learned something by doing it without theory or at all? Or how learning by doing supplemented the formal training?

I would speak about a time when theory failed you. I.e. the models we built based on x showed that the company was supposed to do this... but due to y and z human factors, the situation unfolded much differently.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 14:43
eminent wrote:
I'm in for ED. Question to other applicants:

For this part of the LOR:

2. Please provide a short list of adjectives describing the applicant’s strengths

Are you having your recommenders just list out 4 or 5 words, or are you having them substantiate each word with specific examples? It would make sense to substantiate it, but they seem to be asking for a short list w/o details.

I would stick to what is asked for - a short list and that's about it. Adjectives themselves are self explanatory, so there won't be a need to explain.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 04:40
Hi everyone. International ED applicant here!
I'm ready with my essays, but I'm a bit confused with the self-reported transcripts. I'm not really sure whether I should translate the name of the courses, and I don't know what informations to insert in the different fields of the downloadable .xls file.
I can see there is a "directions" link in cell B22, but it's not working. I've tried with different PCs and settings, but nothing helped. Anyone else has the same problem? Is there a way to find those directions elsewhere?
Thank you!

CBS ED: accepted
Kellogg 1Y: accepted
Wharton R1: accepted
Stanford R2: ...
LBS R2: ...

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 05:04
gnz1, let me try to tackle this one. The directions link didn't work for me either - So ignore it.
If there's room, I would put down both the original name of the course plus the translation, ie. enano lucha/midget wrestling. In the "department" section, follow the directions and "choose the best possible department from the list below." Basically select what you feel is the most appropriate category for that course. Everything else is pretty much self-explanatory. Hope this helps.

Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 06:34
xlick wrote:
gnz1, let me try to tackle this one. The directions link didn't work for me either - So ignore it.
If there's room, I would put down both the original name of the course plus the translation, ie. enano lucha/midget wrestling. In the "department" section, follow the directions and "choose the best possible department from the list below." Basically select what you feel is the most appropriate category for that course. Everything else is pretty much self-explanatory. Hope this helps.

When I saw the post from xlick, I was expecting an interview invite already :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 06:41
haha, happy thoughts...happy thoughts :)

Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 07:01
xlick wrote:
haha, happy thoughts...happy thoughts :)

I'm all set to submit with the exception of my recommender. Painful wait for both of us when it's out of our control.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 07:06
ouch...I was there not so long ago. I feel ya.

Current Student
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 10:21
Is there any update on loan policy?
Website mentions:

Quote:
Generally, you must:

Be a graduate or professional student or pursuing postbaccalaureate training or a postbaccalaureate certificate at Columbia University registered at least part-time
Have a valid U.S. Social Security number
Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident (International students may be eligible for a private loan with a creditworthy U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident Complete a loan application with your lender of choice
Have a U.S. credit record with no bankruptcies, not be in default on any education loan or owe a refund on an education grant, and meet the applicable credit eligibility requirements.There is a cosigner option for some students that do not meet the credit criteria. We encourage you to read the Good Credit section for more information.

Being an international student it is difficult to have co-signer and I dont think banks in my home country would be able to cover that much cost. Though I have completed first draft of my essays, I have to let go BS as my option if there is no change in loan policy.
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 21:29
Anyone else having issues with the transcript upload?

EDIT: Nevermind. For those who will go through this over the next couple of days -- it's a lot easier to just convert to PDF and upload. The Excel is difficult to push through.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia and Harvard

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 01:47
Does anyone know if there are specific requirements for the essays we upload? I don’t see anything on the instructions about whether it should be 97-2003 compatible versus Vista or what size and style of font and line spacing is preferred? Thanks!
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED)   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2009, 01:47