Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 14:08
Dinged... :(

But I won't give up, I will re-apply for j-term next month! 8-)

Frangar non flectar.

Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS 2012

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 14:55
Dunchess wrote:
I am sure opinions will vary but I think that you would not want to bring up that other schools have dinged you. Not that anything is wrong with getting dinged, but my opinion would be that you don't want to highlight that other top schools have decided not to take you on because you have a low undergrad gpa.

As for whether or not to reach out...as long as you don't make a pest of yourself, why not. Let CBS know they are your top choice, let the adcom know that you have visted the other programs and feel the best "fit" with cbs. I am personally on the waitlist at CBS now, they have changed the waitlist policy and no longer want to hear from candidates unless they contact you. That is probably reflective of the tone of CBS in general but finding ways around that are possible, having a recommeder reach out to the committee or scheduling a visit and dropping by the admissions office know to let them know that you "fit" with the campus is a good way to show interest.

Thanks for the excellent guidance, Dunchess. Will let everyone know how it goes...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg, Columbia, Haas, Tuck
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Private Equity
WE 3: Consulting for Portfolio Company
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 07:33
For those of you who have been accepted for RD and are located in the US, did you receive calls from Adcom? Or did you just receive an email that your status has changed? What is more common?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 07:47
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone received an interview invite recently (last 7 days) ?

Seems very quiet ....

Thanks.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 08:08
Marcus7 wrote:
For those of you who have been accepted for RD and are located in the US, did you receive calls from Adcom? Or did you just receive an email that your status has changed? What is more common?

I got a call the night before I received the email update from the system. But I don't think they do that for everyone, it may be sort of random or based on what time of day they make the decision etc?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 09:59
LB20 wrote:
Marcus7 wrote:

I got a call the night before I received the email update from the system. But I don't think they do that for everyone, it may be sort of random or based on what time of day they make the decision etc?

LB20 is special. :)
I did not get a call. I got an e-mail update.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 12:23
:-D I got a call. but no emaill
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 17:28
Has anyone gotten in off the waitlist yet?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 21:12
Been following these threads for the last few weeks (helpful...also addictive and somewhat stress-inducing) but first time poster. Although it might end up causing more worry than it's worth, I wanted to see if anyone has thoughts on the timeline of my CBS application:

Submitted - 1/9
Under review - 2/1
Invited to interview - 3/18 (seemed like a very lengthy wait so had almost given up)
Interview scheduled for 4/2 (this Friday)

Obviously at this point in the game a good amount of acceptances have gone out but having recieved an interview invite fairly recently, I remain optimistic. Interested to see if anyone has interviewed in a similar time frame and what their experience has been like. I'll update my actual profile in a bit but here are some stats/schools for purposes of roll call or as an fyi...

M/26/710/3.5 from top 15 undergrad
2 yrs asset mgmt at large bank/2 yrs equity research at HF/CFA Level III this June

Accepted at Darden/Waitlisted at Booth and Wharton/Dinged at Tuck/TBD at HBS

Appreciate any advice or insight...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Haas, Stern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 04:55
I am planning to apply to Columbia Full-Time program next year. Aside from applying early decision does anyone have suggestions about things you did that made you successful with the application?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 09:38
I'm a first time poster. The wait is too much!

Applied: 1/6
Under Review: 1/22
Invited to Interview: 3/9
Interview: 3/18
Interview Complete: 3/22

Now just waiting to hear! Does anyone have a sense of how long the wait should be between when my interview was completed and a final decision is issued?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 09:54
mbaTime wrote:
I am planning to apply to Columbia Full-Time program next year. Aside from applying early decision does anyone have suggestions about things you did that made you successful with the application?

Visit and/or talk to students/alums in your area of interest about their experience so you can tie in specific examples of Columbia life/academics/opportunities to your goals and thoughts in your essays.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 10:28
pjjskj wrote:

I know I am still sitting pretty....

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
Oscar Wilde

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 10:35
mtmba wrote:
I'm a first time poster. The wait is too much!

Applied: 1/6
Under Review: 1/22
Invited to Interview: 3/9
Interview: 3/18
Interview Complete: 3/22

Now just waiting to hear! Does anyone have a sense of how long the wait should be between when my interview was completed and a final decision is issued?

Reports have varied on wait time so there is no telling how long it will be for you. However, don't stress out - welcome to the club. I interviewed 3/3, a good two weeks before you and still haven't heard back. It's excruciating but what can you do?

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 10:40
Dunchess wrote:
pjjskj wrote:

Yep, same. For those on the waitlist, is CBS your first choice?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Haas, Stern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 10:42
LB20 wrote:
mbaTime wrote:

Visit and/or talk to students/alums in your area of interest about their experience so you can tie in specific examples of Columbia life/academics/opportunities to your goals and thoughts in your essays.

Thanks. Is there anything specific to the CBS application that is good to know ahead of time?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 12:53
zippy10 wrote:
Dunchess wrote:
pjjskj wrote:

Yep, same. For those on the waitlist, is CBS your first choice?

It is definitely one of my top choices. I waitlisted elsewhere and upon recieving a few acceptances withdrew my intention to stay on the waitlist. CBS is the only waitlist I still remain on...

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
Oscar Wilde

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 14:10
I get the feeling we are going to get some news tomorrow...
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 15:01
kombz wrote:
I get the feeling we are going to get some news tomorrow...

Why? What makes you think that?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 15:20
I dont think CBS is working tomorrow. Well I will go there for a conference in the afternoon and will find out then. Hate the wait game!
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED)   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2010, 15:20